15, T2 and embarassed

hey guys, so i’m not disgonsed yet, i’m going to the doctor on tuesday but there’s a high chance i have type two diabetes. i’m so scared and embarrassed and i don’t want anyone finding out. i’ve been crying for like an hour, i don’t know what to do. i don’t even know how they test for this stuff but i’m so embarrassed that i let myself get overweight. i’m not sure what i’m trying to get out of posting this but i don’t know anyone who can relate. please help i’m so scared.

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
If they don't have your bloods, why are you convinced you have it? That's what's needed for diagnosis. Until then, relax. If you find out you are, then we'll deal with it ..... and weight is one thing but take it all in turn ...

Jumping ahead is not going to help

i forget to mention that. my left leg is twice the size of my left leg and i can’t put any weight on my left food. my mum thinks that i have too much fluid on it and it’s really painful. it’s been hurting for a while but getting worse lately. i know i might be jumping to conclusions but i’m just really scared.

Rusty_Sweetbread

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, sorry to hear you're having a rough time. It's not easy, is it?

What, in an ideal world, would you like your doctor to tell you next week? This might help you see what you wish might have happened.
Stop, for a moment, and write the kindest letter to yourself about your situation?
(If you're feeling angry with yourself, try writing it as advice to someone who you are very fond of, but who needs a bit of care at the moment)
People put on weight for all sorts of reasons, so it's important to be kind and realistic, but, kind to yourself.
And, over the next wee while, you're going to meet lots of people of your age, and in your situation - some of whom will also be scared, but also lots of people who can support you, and in turn you will be able to share your experience and knowledge with them.
So, yes, have a bit of a freak out for a day or two - that's normal, we all do it. And then knuckle down, learn a bit about what's happened, and what's happening, and move forward at your own pace.
Good luck

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
I know you're scared, I would be, too. What you must do is to see your GP and have the tests done then try to distract yourself until the results are given to you. You may not have Diabetes at all but the problem with your leg and foot do need to be addressed immediately.
We all, even as adults, get scared when we don't understand what's going wrong with us but when things do go wrong we have to face it head on and do all we can to get better. Talk to your Mum, she knows you best and will be there with you every step of the way.

By the way, the test for Diabetes is a simple blood test which takes seconds. If your blood glucose is high they do the test again just to confirm the result. But don't jump the gun, your leg should be seen first.
Best of luck to you.

CherryAA

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
hey guys, so i’m not disgonsed yet, i’m going to the doctor on tuesday but there’s a high chance i have type two diabetes. i’m so scared and embarrassed and i don’t want anyone finding out. i’ve been crying for like an hour, i don’t know what to do. i don’t even know how they test for this stuff but i’m so embarrassed that i let myself get overweight. i’m not sure what i’m trying to get out of posting this but i don’t know anyone who can relate. please help i’m so scared.

Hi,
It's a scary place to be to realise that your health is suffering and feeling like its all your fault not matter how old you are.

No matter whether you are diagnosed with diabetes or not, the thing to appreciate is that getting overweight is not entirely your fault. It happens because the food supply is distorted and encourages everyone to eat the wrong things and that in turn creates cravings for food that are very very difficult to control . Instead of viewing yourself as being at fault, think about things the other way round. Whether or not you are diagnosed as having diabetes , you found here, and here you will find the best advice about what foods can make you healthy by reading up the food strands on here. You can also check out dietdoctor.com where you will find the same kind of advice for all people who would like to be healthier, not just diabetics.

If you want to become healthier, the first ting to do is to cut out things with sugar in the, drinks or food, and start to look at how you can change your diet with real foods - its great fun to learn how to cook as a teenager, there are tons of recipes on here and at dietdoctor.com that will work to improve your health.

So take a look at these things then if you find you really do have T2 diabetes, you will quickly be able to see how to get it under control and pave the way to a much happier and healthier future :)

B

badcat

Hi
I agree with others who have said that sorting out whats happening with your leg is the most important thing at the moment
I know that having excess weight is an embarassing and scary place to be - particularly in your teens when others can be very insensitive or just downright cruel, often cos they are scared and/or simply dont understand
I gained weight at the rate of a stone a year during my childhood and into early adulthood. No diet ever had any effect, leaving me feeling like it was all my fault and I was doomed - but it didnt turn out that way
In my early 20's I was referred for food intolerance testing and in that process lost 61/2 stone in 6 month although I was actually eating many more calories. Im now in my 60's and weigh the same as I did when I was 13 ish
Im not saying your weight problem is necessarily related to the same issue mine was, but what I am saying is that weight isnt all about how much we eat - what we eat has a big effect on both overall health and weight
Good luck when you see the doctor next week

Last edited by a moderator:

pavlosn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Other than being overweight, what reason do you have for thinking you have diabetes type 2?

You may be making too much of this in your own mind. You need to get tested to find out one way or another.

I sincerely hope you are not diabetic. However if it turns out you are then it is much better to be diagnosed so that you can do something about managing the condition than to be unaware of the fact.

As others have said try to relax about diabetes, get tested if only to put your mind at ease but give priority to getting medical help about your leg.

Best of luck.