Hi a question fro a newbie

G4WIL

Hi all,
after teetering along the fence for years, I have been told that I'm glucose intolerant :( .
I am awaiting the results the h??? test (non fasting)
So far I'm carrying on as normal .
This afternoon I did the final years cut on some rough pasture , as I was finishing I became sweaty and shaky! As I'd acquired a meter I thought I'd check my blood . ( I've had similar episodes all my life )
My blood sugar level was 3.3, I ate some sugary food and a couple of Lucosade tablets, sat down until I felt much better and re took the test 9.7.
Thing is I'm neither on a diet nor any form of medication , can't help wondering what is going on ?
My blood pressure is always quoted as fine :)

Such a lot to learn

John W

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
Hi John :D You seem to have slipped through the net, although I suspect that members here are reluctant to give advice to someone without a diagnosis.

Probably the best thing you can do is read the 'Basic Advice For Newly Diagnosed Diabetics ' on the top of this section. then if you have any specific questions, and you'll have many if you get the 'good news' from your GP when your tests come back.

Very briefly if you are working physically you will be burning your glucose reserves so your blood glucose levels will drop (your reading of 3.3mmol/L and feeling sweaty and shaky are classic hypo symptoms). You then over cook the sugar/glucose tabs and up go your levels (9.7mmol/L) possible symptoms could include thirst and excessive urination.

That said, no one here can make a diagnosis, we are just diabetics doing the best we can to help each other, so I'm afraid until you get your membership to 'the club you never wanted to join' theres not much we can suggest.

totsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
liars, animal cruelty
hya john and welcome,
i totally agree with the above post :)

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Hi and welcome :)

Can you clarify if you are diagnosed Diabetic or not please. Your profile says Type 2 ? Yet here we are not sure ?

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
Hi John and welcome to the forum. :)
We must have overlooked your post but there are plenty of people who want to help you as far as we can once you know if you're diabetic or not.

G4WIL

cugila said:
Hi and welcome :)

Can you clarify if you are diagnosed Diabetic or not please. Your profile says Type 2 ? Yet here we are not sure ?
Hi, I was officially diagnosed 12/10/2010 type 2 diabetes and placed on the register , I have since had a blood test to determine my average glucose levels over the last 12 weeks, results not yet in !
I have been given some literature and booked in the see the practice nurse in 5 weeks time (to give time for the test results and devise a strategy I suppose)

Cheers John.

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Hi john.
Thanks for clarifying that. As someone has already suggested that you look at the 'BASIC INFORMATION FOR NEWLY DIAGNOSED DIABETICS I will only point you there again. It is something that Sue and I post regularly here and helps answer some of the questions you might have.

If you have any more specific questions just ask away. Now we know you are a Diabetic the answers can be tailored to suit your circumstances.

I notice you mention hypos - this just denotes low blood sugar levels.(below 4 mmol/l) And can happen to anyone, even a non-Diabetic.

G4WIL

Thank you for your responce :D
I am pretty philosophical but do like to know what's going on.
I now understand that hypoglycaemia can go hand in hand with diabetes .
It just seemed rum thats all :? .
Thanks again (Promise I wont meither with trivia :wink: )

John Wilkinson

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
G4WIL said:
Thanks again (Promise I wont meither with trivia :wink: )

John Wilkinson

No question is too trivial John, when you are starting the learning curve about Diabetes . We all had to start at the bottom and work our way up.

sarahellen

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Dislikes
arrogance
Welcome John.

I agree with Sugarless sue. key to control MUST be knowledge. I have been diagnosed for a few years but think i have been in denial!
You will find lots of info here on this site and keep asking questions! Testing is a must to know what foods give you that spike of blood sugar after 1 or 2 hours. Ask for a monitor and strips - my Diabetic nurse gave me one and has been a help.

Good luck :D