Living with Hypoglycemia and Type 2 diabetes

G4WIL

I too get hypo related events . have had them most of my adult life , instinctively I have eaten sugary food /chocolate anything I could grab basically.
Years ago I was tested for glucose intolerance ( the old procedure used to take 4 hours involving a urine sample every .5hr and a blood sample every .25hr)
Since my heart attack 6 years ago, my annual revue involves blood tests which flagged up a marginal blood sugar which was then followed up by the modern GTT but was negative until this last one :( .
I got hold of an accu-checkcompact plus meter and started checking my bloods .
I am waiting to see the diabetic nurse and am on no medication or special diet for that matter!,
The other day after mowing some rough pasture (not too strenuous ) I went woozy ,weak shaky etc. Right I thought .I'll take a sample before I do anything else. It read 3.3.
Nobody in all the years I've had these do's has suggested hypoglycemia.
I thought I was unique having been told I have type 2 diabetes and discovering my occasional episodes are in fact down to low sugar !
Sorry for the length of this post .
I shall flag this thread and keep an eye on what's posted.
I'm glad I'm not alone .I couldn't get my head around being told I am diabetic and finding I was getting hypo attacks :eek:

John Wilkinson

fliss

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I'm thinking
Hi John

I too was pleased to find that other people suffer Reactive Hypoglycemia and type 2 - I was getting to the stage were I thought I was being an hypochondriact (SP)

It wasnt until I saw my consultant earlier this year re my thyroid problem that it was found. I have been suffering with this for donkeys years as well.

The nurse at my local GP as told me that little and often is good, plus portion control, and have a treat on special occassions.

Fliss

Yvonne_49

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Yay i have found people like me i am not an alien or going mad!!! I am type 2 and also have reactive hypoglycaemia and keeping the hypos at bay just now is a nightmare, i carry dextrose tabs all the time which are good but take time to work thats why lucozade etc works better as it is liquid and gets to the problem quicker but i find it very gassy, but i have just found gluco juice that you can buy in boots and it is a small measured amount in a handy bottle and easy to carry with you at all times worth a try guys x

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Yay i have found people like me i am not an alien or going mad!!! I am type 2 and also have reactive hypoglycaemia and keeping the hypos at bay just now is a nightmare, i carry dextrose tabs all the time which are good but take time to work thats why lucozade etc works better as it is liquid and gets to the problem quicker but i find it very gassy, but i have just found gluco juice that you can buy in boots and it is a small measured amount in a handy bottle and easy to carry with you at all times worth a try guys x

Hi Yvonne,
No you certainly are not mad, weird but definitely not mad!
I have reactive hypoglycaemia but not with type two.
@Brunneria has and we help others on our own forum on this website. There is a link below in my signature box, if you can't see it, go to forums and scroll down till you see reactive hypoglycaemia.
The trouble with dextrose or any other sugar is the rebound effect.
Have a read of information in our threads, and tell us something about yourself.

Welcome to the forum, lots of things and some great knowledge.

Reactions: 2 people

kokhongw

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have had this same experience since my teenage years without understanding why I get these sudden hunger pangs...and it now makes a lot of sense to me why a low carb high fats diet works well to stabilize both the glucose AND insulin levels.

Yvonne_49

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi Yvonne,
No you certainly are not mad, weird but definitely not mad!
I have reactive hypoglycaemia but not with type two.
@Brunneria has and we help others on our own forum on this website. There is a link below in my signature box, if you can't see it, go to forums and scroll down till you see reactive hypoglycaemia.
The trouble with dextrose or any other sugar is the rebound effect.
Have a read of information in our threads, and tell us something about yourself.

Welcome to the forum, lots of things and some great knowledge.
Hi thanks for reply and the info i will have a good read, i have had type 2 and rh for 2yrs now but seem to be getting no where with the docs,i have been on acarbose 3xdaily but with little effect to try and keep my blood sugars a bit more stable,have had tests,scans and nothing to see,i have lost a stone and a half in the last 5wks and trying to increase my fitness also but have noticed when i excersise my energy levels drop really quickly and when i take a hypo it just plummets no slowly dropping just crashes to 2.6 ,2.3 etc in seconds

Yvonne_49

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I too get hypo related events . have had them most of my adult life , instinctively I have eaten sugary food /chocolate anything I could grab basically.
Years ago I was tested for glucose intolerance ( the old procedure used to take 4 hours involving a urine sample every .5hr and a blood sample every .25hr)
Since my heart attack 6 years ago, my annual revue involves blood tests which flagged up a marginal blood sugar which was then followed up by the modern GTT but was negative until this last one :( .
I got hold of an accu-checkcompact plus meter and started checking my bloods .
I am waiting to see the diabetic nurse and am on no medication or special diet for that matter!,
The other day after mowing some rough pasture (not too strenuous ) I went woozy ,weak shaky etc. Right I thought .I'll take a sample before I do anything else. It read 3.3.
Nobody in all the years I've had these do's has suggested hypoglycemia.
I thought I was unique having been told I have type 2 diabetes and discovering my occasional episodes are in fact down to low sugar !
Sorry for the length of this post .
I shall flag this thread and keep an eye on what's posted.
I'm glad I'm not alone .I couldn't get my head around being told I am diabetic and finding I was getting hypo attacks :eek:

John Wilkinson
Hi john thks for reply it is good to know we are not alone but an awful situation we are in at times,what you are experiencing is typical of hypos the sweating, shaking etc and then your reading to prove it,what worked for you to bring your sugar back up?
Yvonne

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hi thanks for reply and the info i will have a good read, i have had type 2 and rh for 2yrs now but seem to be getting no where with the docs,i have been on acarbose 3xdaily but with little effect to try and keep my blood sugars a bit more stable,have had tests,scans and nothing to see,i have lost a stone and a half in the last 5wks and trying to increase my fitness also but have noticed when i excersise my energy levels drop really quickly and when i take a hypo it just plummets no slowly dropping just crashes to 2.6 ,2.3 etc in seconds

Good weight loss and that will help.
But as you will find out, it's your diet that counts.
No matter the medication, if you produce too much insulin you will hypo.

Exercise is a weird thing, because if you overdo it, you will crash, but mild exercise can be just as good. It's all about keeping your blood glucose levels in the normal zone. This improves your life. A good walk for about an hour a day with your daily chores, will give you what you need.

I would talk to your GP about the acerbose, as I believe that as you say it doesn't do you much good. Diet is the key. The low carb forum is full of some great recipes and ideas.

@Administrator can this be moved to the RH forum please.
@Brunneria, is a RH and T2 diabetic, she will give you more tips.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi guys, just wanted to point out to you all that this thread was started 5 years ago, and the original posters don't visit any more.

Having said that - I feel their pain!

There are many different causes of RH, and the symptoms vary widely too.

I agree with @nosher8355 that diet is key. Eating carbs will trigger a reactive hypo (amount of carbs and extent of hypo depends on the person, of course).