Type 1 What size needle do you use ?

Fish37

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi

I was just wondering what size needle people are using in their pens? I'm currently using Novofine 30G 0.3 8mm and have done for years. My doctor had recommend changing it to 4mm. Thanks

D

Deleted Account

I used 6mm for years, constantly complained about bruising but was told there was nothing smaller available.
Suddenly, two years ago, I was asked why I wasn't using 4mm. They were better for me.
I think smaller has become more popular.

blueeyed81

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I'm on a pump now and was using 4mm needles when injecting. I still have 4mm in incase I need to do a correction via injection

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
6mm for me. No problems.
I think someone posted recently that he was still using the old proper needles as i refer to them. He'd been using them for so long he didn't want to change.

GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
4mm.

I believe that there has been a fairly recent discovery that there is no real need or benefit in using needles longer than 4mm. For a long time, Doctors were working on the concept that "larger people need longer needles" - however this has now been debunked. As a result, most diabetics are or should be using 4mm needles.

Goacher55

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I’ve always used the 4 ml needles ( about 10 years now ) no real issues I’ve bent a few when I’m rushing or not concentrating

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
4mm these days... Though I have used 6mm. Anything longer than a 6mm could cause issue with the needle "rebate" in the pen cap? Though when I first started on MDI (back in tha late 1980s.) I'm sure I was using 8mm?!

Which is still tiny in comparison to the telegraph poles on the glass syringes issued as a kid. Then moving onto something like a 27 or 25G 25mm or 30mm disposable...

Sometimes when i look at what I currently use, I long to draw up with a proper needle. For old times sake! :D

Fish37

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I think I'm going to order some 4mm and give them a try. I did get the pharmacy trying to palm me off with some nasty cheap needles not too long ago but they didn't fit my pen and so they changed it back to Novofine.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
4mm, used to be 8 mm, but the nurse said they were far too long for the size of me and switched me to a smaller size needle with no problems :)

DaftThoughts

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I have 31G 5mm needles for my Toujeo pen, and 32G 6mm Novofine needles for my Novorapid pen. (Which sounds inconvenient but it doesn't bother me and makes it easier to ration out my needles and get my prescriptions renewed.)