Update :)

alexharrop

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hello!

Im not sure if anyone remembers me, but I was here in about June talking about being suicidal and not having support. I still do have suicidal thoughts sometimes but my support system has gotten a lot better and I feel more able to talk to my support team about it. One major update is that I've managed to do stomach injections!!

This might not seem big to anyone else but basically I'd only been doing leg injections for a long time and because my blood sugars were all over the place, I had to do more of them. This made my legs a lot more resistant and eventually they ended up just straight up rejecting insulin. After some great news (a friend of mine who got his leg amputated got his prosthetic!) I was torn between being happy and upset (at this point the pain of doing an injection made me sad because I had to keep injection into bruises) and decided this couldn't go on. I already felt the effects of being high for too long (vision, kidneys ect) and decided to go for it. And so the first stomach injection was done!!

It's been a massive help, the insulin resistance and bumps in my legs have already begun to heal over and I no longer have to go to the bathroom at college to do injections! Thought I'd share this here :)

Alex

Wshelledy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Yes I DO get how hard it is to inject yourself in the stomach! I do it myself now but still have problems when I'm stressed. It can take me 15 minutes to psych myself up to do it when other things in life are difficult. Thankfully my support system recognizes that and does it for me if I'm struggling. Somehow its easier to let someone else do it than to stick myself. The shots are fairly new for me but I've been testing for many years and I still have times that stick is hard too. Its just something we as diabetics have to cope with. My trick is to focus on my breathing for a few minutes before injecting. It calms me down and makes the whole process easier. Try to stay positive!

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @alexharrop . It appears that things are looking up for you. Well done.
Great news with the stomach injections. If it was a big deal for you to inject there then that's all that matters.
We all have fears, not only have you posted your fears but you are overcoming them. That makes you a winner.
I'll even go so far as to make you " today's top banana". :):):)

Robkww

Well done Alex. Really pleased to hear of your progress. Stick at it and keep us all posted!

Last edited:

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I remember you @alexharrop - it's lovely to hear you are doing so well and glad you found the support you need - well done onwards and upwards! :)

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
@alexharrop Well done I remember your previous posts and had wondered how you were doing so thanks for the update.