New to all this

Jenninp89

Type of diabetes
LADA
Hi everyone, about 4 weeks ago I was diagnosed with type two. My hba1c was 64. They initially started my on metformin 500mg twice daily, however my sugars were so high that the GP has now started me on Gliclizide and just this past week novomix 30 twice daily (6 units in the morning and same evening).

I have some questions please, my blood sugars despite all the above are still hitting 13,14 etc. I had my first hypo the other day and felt awful, shaking, sweating etc. Had some lucozade and the sugars came up again. Could it be that I'm not getting enough insulin? That my figures are still high?

I walk my dog everyday twice or three times and am making improvements to my diet. My GP has said that he suspects I may have something called LADA? I've looked this up and it seems like it's a late onset type 1?

Also is my hba1c high? At 64? My GP is useless and I'm waiting to see a diabetic nurse but have to wait two months :(

Thanks in advance

Paul

Wshelledy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I would suggest looking at what you're eating. Count the carbs for everything and log it along with your resulting numbers and your novomix dose. You will probably find a correlation there. Also it may be the type of carbs you're eating are resulting in high numbers. I've found that removing my food triggers (rice, even brown rice bread, even whole wheat) has given me good control. Your trigger foods may be different. Only keeping track will allow you to figure them out. You'll get great advice on this forum from people with a lot more experience than me! Listen to it all and take what works for YOU!

Jenninp89

Type of diabetes
LADA
I would suggest looking at what you're eating. Count the carbs for everything and log it along with your resulting numbers and your novomix dose. You will probably find a correlation there. Also it may be the type of carbs you're eating are resulting in high numbers. I've found that removing my food triggers (rice, even brown rice bread, even whole wheat) has given me good control. Your trigger foods may be different. Only keeping track will allow you to figure them out. You'll get great advice on this forum from people with a lot more experience than me! Listen to it all and take what works for YOU!
Hi, thanks for the advice. I have noticed if I eat things like bread then I have a massive spike in my numbers.

Wshelledy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
You're welcome! Bread, even whole grain stuff, is a trigger for many people. I try to find alternatives. One that sounds kind of strange but is really tasty is cucumber! At lunch I deseed and peel one then stuff the middle with sandwich fillings. Tuna salad works great. I also do cream cheese and ham. Avocado and chicken is probably my favorite. These are great take along lunches!

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
I'm sure there is a LADA section in the Forum, perhaps have a read around the threads there for more info?