Type 2 Type 2 diet control

fati2

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hate arguments
Hi! Is any body type 2 and diet controlled and not on meds? If so I would like to hear how you get on with eating and ecesise I find difficult at times. Not sure what to try and what not try. Being in this forum has helped a lot to understand carbs.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi! Is any body type 2 and diet controlled and not on meds? If so I would like to hear how you get on with eating and ecesise I find difficult at times. Not sure what to try and what not try. Being in this forum has helped a lot to understand carbs.

There are many of us on the forum with T2 controlled by diet only (and exercise in most cases but not all). The most popular and most successful way of eating is low carb, although the amount of carbs varies from person to person. Some eat less than 20g a day, others eat 100g a day.

What is it that you find difficult? If you can explain this maybe we can help you.

Do you have your own blood glucose meter? That will be your best friend if you have one as you can use it to teach you whether your food choices are OK for you, or not OK. Testing before you eat and again 2 hours later will tell you at a glance what theat meal has done to your levels, enabling you to change it for next time.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I qualify. I am not on meds and a type 2.

I have no problem eating since I was diagnosed in 2009 and have had plenty of time to adjust. I started out like everyone should by testing for spikes after eating to learn what not to eat. The next task is to find new foods and new ways of preparing old ones until the personal menu is enjoyed. I like what I eat now more than before the lifestyle change.

Exercise is walking once or twice a day. There is one hour every morning plus about half an hour on some afternoons but I am flexible about the afternoon walk. I do some static exercises based on an old DVD of Hilary Jones exercises but interpreted a little.

The surprising thing is that walking seems more effective than most forms of exercise and the static exercises are just for muscle tone and as far as I am aware make no difference to my blood sugar.

fati2

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hate arguments
Thank you both bluetit and squire it has helped me. Yes I have a meter and test my self often, I seem to be on the range of 7 and 8 I find that is too high, but still trying new ways and adjusting portion size. It's difficult when family does not eat the same as me. I don't eat pasta or rice, potato ect but I like puddings in the eve trying to find a subtitle is hard . I walk once a day and my job keeps me on my feet.

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
Hi @fati2 I do both diet (lifestyle) and exercise. It is difficult but gets easier over time. I would suggest getting the mental side right is key, as this will allow you to do the right things for you without inner resentment.

I told myself I would be prepared to train like Andy Murray if it would extend my time on the planet. With the guidance of my wife my food choices improved to low gi versions of carbs whilst working out hard. I further progressed to LCHF with amazing meals.

I would suggest that you consider fast walking after meals and short focused resistance training with minimal rest i.e. HiiT. This combination is mentally doable and gets results.

If you are struggling with meals get used to spices, e.g. bacon with a touch of hot pepper sauce changes the flavour totally or swap bacon for gammon, just a couple of changes.

Reactions: ziggy_w

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you both bluetit and squire it has helped me. Yes I have a meter and test my self often, I seem to be on the range of 7 and 8 I find that is too high, but still trying new ways and adjusting portion size. It's difficult when family does not eat the same as me. I don't eat pasta or rice, potato ect but I like puddings in the eve trying to find a subtitle is hard . I walk once a day and my job keeps me on my feet.

Keep testing out your before and after meals, and if necessary use a smaller plate so you appear to have more than you actually have. That tricks your brain into thinking your portion sizes are big. Keep any rise under 2mmol/l and avoid sweet desserts. How about trying a full fat plain yogurt or double cream with 3 or 4 strawberries or raspberries as a pudding? Also, if you look in the low carb sub-section of the forum you will find loads of pudding recipes and substitutes. You could also look at the recipes on diet doctor.
https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/recipes/desserts

Christina0308

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi I'm T2 and no meds, Hba1c down from 48 to 37 in three months following advice from the guys on here about low carb diet although I' m not very low about 80g ish it has worked so far for me. Exercise is walking the dog 45-60 mins a day. For a pud I have half a tub of Harleys 10 cal jelly and double cream, some times add a couple of strawberries, there are quite a few flavours you could try.

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @fati2,

I am also a diet-controlled T2. I was diagnosed with very high blood sugars (Hba1c of 100) and immediately switched to a low carb diet. Later, I added exercise to the mix -- half an hour on the elliptical trainer when I have the time. If I have a long day at work and don't have time for the elliptical trainer, I walk to the train station and back, which takes about 40 minutes. Today, my Hba1c is in the normal range.

I would really like to encourage you to try low carb (with optional exercise) -- it is so worth it. The food is great and with time you'll find substitutes for most of your old favorites. And you feel loads better.

Reactions: fati2

fati2

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hate arguments
Oh thank you all, I will try the LCHF, and try and be more regimental about things, it's trying to get your head round all the things you can't eat. It was a mission trying to make hubby understand, but now thank god he does, he thought buying me takeaway was my day off in the kitchen, which ended me eating things I shouldn't. But thank you all. X

Reactions: hankjam and ziggy_w

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Oh thank you all, I will try the LCHF, and try and be more regimental about things, it's trying to get your head round all the things you can't eat. It was a mission trying to make hubby understand, but now thank god he does, he thought buying me takeaway was my day off in the kitchen, which ended me eating things I shouldn't. But thank you all. X

Try not to think of things you can't eat. Make a list of things you can eat. You may be surprised! I managed to train my hubbie by showing him my meter readings after eating. It didn't take long!

Reactions: ziggy_w

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @fati2

I’m another type 2 that is diet controlled. Combination of very low carb diet and exercise- mostly walking, which fits nicely into my normal schedule. My HbA1c has dropped from a very high 108 down to normal levels.

As others have said, you can eat very well and enjoyably on a low carb diet - just takes a bit of adaptation.

fati2

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hate arguments
Yesterday I managed most my number in 6/7's only the afternoon was high due to salaad which I put in maple syrup . Had egg this morning with half a toast going to check bs now. And off to work.

Reactions: kokhongw

Kentoldlady1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I take metformin, so not just diet controlled. But personally I find it easier just to cut out as much of the simple carbs as possible. Eating them, especially at the beginning, just made the craving for them so much harder to control. Good luck with it all.

Buttons11

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm a T2 diet controlled. When I was diagnosed I bought Micheal Mosely's book "the 8 week blood sugar recipe book" which has plenty of ideas for what you can eat. I don't eat any cereals, bread, potatoes, pasta etc.
I also got myself a fitbit and do at least 10,000 steps every day.
I was diagnosed at 129, now down to 42 at the last test :)

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi everyone, I too am a T2 who takes no insulin or drugs.

I think that I may have just had a hypo. Today, I ate a black coffee with an egg mayo sandwich, a small bakewell tart square and a 35g chocolate bar so far. Plus sugar free "Fisherman's Friend" lozenges as I have that horrible sore throat and cold. Not exactly starving myself.

Ironically had my 3-monthly HbA1c blood test this morning.

Have had episodes like these in the past (before I recognised what was happening). Hoping that my HbA1c will continue to creep down and that I haven't gained weight.

Feeling a bit 'wobbly', I hit the 'other Diabetes UK site' for some answers, and came away confused. So I came here. Am reading posts and observations, and appreciate the sharing on this thread.

AM1874

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Not much
Hi @fati2 ..
I'm another diet controlled T2 .. diagnosed in Feb and stopped taking Metformin and Atorvastatin in March. What I learned very early on from this forum is that managing and controlling your diabetes (or prediabetes) through exercise, diet and testing your blood glucose seems to be the best way forward for many people. For me, committing to an LCHF (Low Carb High Fat) lifestyle and testing 3-5 times a day seems to be working and you'll find that there is a wealth of info, relevant advice and positive support about LCHF on the forum ..

I suggest that you read up on the discussion on the Low Carb Diet forum .. together with the following Diet Doctor websites, which will give you all the info that you need on what and what not to eat ...
Low Carb Intro and Information and Low Carbs in 60 Seconds

Unless you have been given one by your Doc or Nursie (unlikely), it is a top priority that you get yourself a test meter and, for this, the following websites might help:
https://homehealth-uk.com/product-category/blood-glucose/
for the SD Codefree meter, which costs £12.98 or:
http://spirit-healthcare.co.uk/product/tee2-blood-glucose-meter/
who distribute the TEE 2 meter, which is free.
I have both which I alternate for comparative purposes and I have never found any significant difference between them.

The costs of testing comes down to the ongoing charges for test strips and lancets. Make sure that you tick the appropriate box on the on-line order form and you won't pay VAT on your meter or strips.
For the SD Codefree, the strips are £7.69 for a pack of 50 and there are discount codes available for bulk purchases:
5 packs x 50 use code: 264086 .. cost is £29.49
10 packs x 50 use code: 975833 .. cost is £58.98
For the TEE 2, the strips are £7.75 for a pack of 50 .. but there are no discount codes currently available

I'm testing 3-5 times a day which works out at around £10 to £12 per month for either of the two packages above but, more importantly, I now know what my BG levels are .. and I can now manage them

Hope this helps

Reactions: Kentoldlady1

Lally123

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi @fati2 ..
I'm another diet controlled T2 .. diagnosed in Feb and stopped taking Metformin and Atorvastatin in March. What I learned very early on from this forum is that managing and controlling your diabetes (or prediabetes) through exercise, diet and testing your blood glucose seems to be the best way forward for many people. For me, committing to an LCHF (Low Carb High Fat) lifestyle and testing 3-5 times a day seems to be working and you'll find that there is a wealth of info, relevant advice and positive support about LCHF on the forum ..

I suggest that you read up on the discussion on the Low Carb Diet forum .. together with the following Diet Doctor websites, which will give you all the info that you need on what and what not to eat ...
Low Carb Intro and Information and Low Carbs in 60 Seconds

Unless you have been given one by your Doc or Nursie (unlikely), it is a top priority that you get yourself a test meter and, for this, the following websites might help:
https://homehealth-uk.com/product-category/blood-glucose/
for the SD Codefree meter, which costs £12.98 or:
http://spirit-healthcare.co.uk/product/tee2-blood-glucose-meter/
who distribute the TEE 2 meter, which is free.
I have both which I alternate for comparative purposes and I have never found any significant difference between them.

The costs of testing comes down to the ongoing charges for test strips and lancets. Make sure that you tick the appropriate box on the on-line order form and you won't pay VAT on your meter or strips.
For the SD Codefree, the strips are £7.69 for a pack of 50 and there are discount codes available for bulk purchases:
5 packs x 50 use code: 264086 .. cost is £29.49
10 packs x 50 use code: 975833 .. cost is £58.98
For the TEE 2, the strips are £7.75 for a pack of 50 .. but there are no discount codes currently available

I'm testing 3-5 times a day which works out at around £10 to £12 per month for either of the two packages above but, more importantly, I now know what my BG levels are .. and I can now manage them

Hope this helps
Not sure why you always call your nurse 'nursie'. I'm a nurse and find that word totally disrespectful, rude and reminiscent of the old fashioned sexist carry on films. Todays nurses are highly trained and professional, it would be great if the old fashioned public perception of nurses could change. I'm sure it will eventually....

AM1874

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Not much
Not sure why you always call your nurse 'nursie'. I'm a nurse and find that word totally disrespectful, rude and reminiscent of the old fashioned sexist carry on films. Todays nurses are highly trained and professional, it would be great if the old fashioned public perception of nurses could change. I'm sure it will eventually....
And I'm sure that the "professional advice" that I have received from the nurses and other HCPs at my surgery about managing my diabetes .. namely, the Eatwell Plate, don't test because you won't understand the results, drink lots of orange juice and don't eat too many cream cakes, LCHF is a fad diet etc etc .. will also eventually change. When it does, I will stop using the term Nursie.
Having said that, I do take your point that my generic use of the term may be considered inappropriate .. so I will restrict its use to the merry band of Nursies with whom I come into contact at my surgery

Lally123

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
And I'm sure that the "professional advice" that I have received from the nurses and other HCPs at my surgery about managing my diabetes .. namely, the Eatwell Plate, don't test because you won't understand the results, drink lots of orange juice and don't eat too many cream cakes, LCHF is a fad diet etc etc .. will also eventually change. When it does, I will stop using the term Nursie.
Having said that, I do take your point that my generic use of the term may be considered inappropriate .. so I will restrict its use to the merry band of Nursies with whom I come into contact at my surgery
Oh I see. So you use a derogatory term because their professional opinion differs from your own. Do you call them nursie when you see them face to face or just when you're anonymised behind a computer screen? #justcurious

Reactions: hankjam

AM1874

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Not much
Oh I see. So you use a derogatory term because their professional opinion differs from your own. Do you call them nursie when you see them face to face or just when you're anonymised behind a computer screen? #justcurious
No, I use what you consider to be a derogatory term because their "professional opinion" is wrong and they refuse to accept this. I don't have a professional opinion .. I have concerns, questions, issues and direct personal experience, all of which have been and still are ignored.
Note: I have made an attempt to recognise and respond to your original point .. so I now consider that any further posts would be counter-productive and serve no useful purpose. Accordingly, I will be taking no further part in this debate

Reactions: serenity648