Insulin Allergy

loverliesgal

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, I am newly diag T1, but erroneously T2 for a number of years. I went on to insulin a year ago and immediately suffered a skin reaction. After having my face swell up and ending up in hospital they changed my insulin and eventually I saw an immunologist at John Radcliffe Oxford. I have now proven allergic to all insulins, so am basically taking 6 Piriton a day to keep the allergy rash at a low level. I have tried other antihistamines but Piriton is the only one that keeps it under control most of the time. I have since had two more visits to hospital, the allergy build up seems to get worse over about 12 weeks or so. Have any of you been desensitised to Insulin? I have steroids at the ready, then I take my self off to hospital (less than 1km away in a straight line - takes 3 mins) when my tongue or lips start swelling. No adrenaline has been needed so far. I do have a few signs that it is getting worse, my voice gets hoarse then I start coughing for no reason, then the suspect cold sore turns into something rather disgustingly huge, swelling so much my top lip feels the size of a tea plate over lapping my bottom lip. Or my face swells so much my eyes close, So since neither my immunologist or endocrinologist have desensitised anyone they seem quite excited at the prospect of practicing on me, so if anyone can think of an alternative I will gladly pass the info on. (I was also allergic to Prolactin that my body produced when my pituitary was being obnoxious!).

Fuzzy brain, the hospital encounters were anaphylaxis, I just couldn't remember the word they used. No epipen though.

Last edited by a moderator:

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
How awful for you, that really is an extreme reaction to insulin and I do feel for you suffering that much.

We have had members before who say they have an allergy to analogue insulin which has disappeared once they start on animal insulin, here's hoping you get some useful replies to your thread.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Have you tried either bovine or porcine insulins?

loverliesgal

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Have you tried either bovine or porcine insulins?
Yes the second round of immunology was bovine and porcine insulin with another two 'human' insulins. I was quite excited as I didn't produce an instant reaction,to the animal insulin, then lo and behold as I drive out the car park the red weals appeared. They were duly photographed and sent into the immunologist. Just so tired . . .

loverliesgal

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
How awful for you, that really is an extreme reaction to insulin and I do feel for you suffering that much.

We have had members before who say they have an allergy to analogue insulin which has disappeared once they start on animal insulin, here's hoping you get some useful replies to your thread.

Thank you for your reply, the second round of immunology was the animal insulin with a couple more human insulins. I ended up reacting to them after what I thought was success. Hadn't even left the hospital carpark when the red weals appeared. . . le sigh :/

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Thank you for your reply, the second round of immunology was the animal insulin with a couple more human insulins. I ended up reacting to them after what I thought was success. Hadn't even left the hospital carpark when the red weals appeared. . . le sigh :/

That is a shame, thought your Endo would have tried animal insulin's but just thought I'd mention it just the same. Take care & best wishes.

chalup

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I don't know anything about insulin but I do know about allergies. You should be carrying an epi pen and get training in when to use it. Even mild allergies can become life threatening in seconds. I hope they can get this sorted out for you quickly.

Janetoby

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I had lots of issues when changing from the old insulins to the 'human insulins'. I didn't feel well, had skin rahes, lumps and could not detect hypo's. I ran my sugars high to avoid hypos. It has taken me years to be able to get back onto a porcine isophane that I have to self fund. I am in Australia, and have to apply to a government department to have an authority issued for the year. I had a great deal of difficulty in finding an endocronologist who would sign for this for me as is no longer an approved drug. I tried beef insulin, and could feel the hypos with that, but needed a ridiculous amount. I have recently found that I am apparently intolerant of a great many foods as well. I now can use porcine isophane as a basal with novorapid for bolus's for meals when needed.
Best of luck - think outside the square, and fight for what you want.