Type 2 Type 2 diet control

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you both bluetit and squire it has helped me. Yes I have a meter and test my self often, I seem to be on the range of 7 and 8 I find that is too high, but still trying new ways and adjusting portion size. It's difficult when family does not eat the same as me. I don't eat pasta or rice, potato ect but I like puddings in the eve trying to find a subtitle is hard . I walk once a day and my job keeps me on my feet.

A low carb pudding lots of people here, including me, like very much is frozen raspberries or the mix of berries that Morrisons sells as "Summer Fruits" with Greek Yoghurt. Or some prefer cream because it is still lower in carbs, but Greek yoghurt is lower in carbs than other yoghurt. You can leave the berries to defrost in advance of your meal or defrost them in the microwave. This has the advantage that you can always have berries in the freezer and yoghurt in the fridge, ready as needed. I find planning ahead so there is always something lowish carb but also appetizing to hand is half the battle.

PS I see Bluetit was before me with the frozen berries. However, as I currently allow myself more carbs than she does, I go for 100g of raspberries, which is still not high carb by any means.

Last edited:

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm a T2 diet controlled. When I was diagnosed I bought Micheal Mosely's book "the 8 week blood sugar recipe book" which has plenty of ideas for what you can eat. I don't eat any cereals, bread, potatoes, pasta etc.
I also got myself a fitbit and do at least 10,000 steps every day.
I was diagnosed at 129, now down to 42 at the last test :)

Greetings to another Fitbit user! Insane how much wanting to hit those targets motivates me.

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi @fati2 I do both diet (lifestyle) and exercise. It is difficult but gets easier over time. I would suggest getting the mental side right is key, as this will allow you to do the right things for you without inner resentment.

I told myself I would be prepared to train like Andy Murray if it would extend my time on the planet. With the guidance of my wife my food choices improved to low gi versions of carbs whilst working out hard. I further progressed to LCHF with amazing meals.

I would suggest that you consider fast walking after meals and short focused resistance training with minimal rest i.e. HiiT. This combination is mentally doable and gets results.

If you are struggling with meals get used to spices, e.g. bacon with a touch of hot pepper sauce changes the flavour totally or swap bacon for gammon, just a couple of changes.

Not everyone feels able to exercise, and some find it raises instead of lowering their blood glucose. However, a lot of us use exercise after meals successfully. The exact method varies. Some say walk straight after eating, some 15 to 20 nminutes after a meal, some say walk vigorously, some say walking gently is just as good. Personally, I eat rather slowly, so walking is hard to fit in before my one hour blood glucose test. Instead, I tend to walk straight after my one hour test, which has the advantage that the test result may motivate me to try harder in order to bring my bg down for the two hour test.

I believe Mbaker doesn't work out too soon after eating because his workouts are too vigorous to permit that. As with deciding how many carbs to eat, everyone has to conduct his/her own experiments. Which is actually quite interesting. Good luck!

fati2

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hate arguments
It's been interesting and very informative, I have found doing some sort of excersie helps, as I don't feel heavy headed or groggy, I do squats and some star jumps mixed with stretching . The hardest bit is trying to keep portion size down. But hopefully I'll get there it's training mind and stomach to work together.

Jo_the_boat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Don't know about anyone else but on the LCHF regime I don't feel hungry between meals and seem to be able to work physically, pretty long days, without pangs.
Just by way of example for the OP. Yesterday, breakfast: two eggs (always eggs) and 3 rashers of bacon (alternatively ham / smoked mackerel), lunch: 4 slices of tongue and an apple, dinner: 4 chicken thighs, loads of green veggies, gravy and raspberries and cream with a couple of glasses of red wine. (No spuds / pasta / rice / bread / cakes / snacking). None of these meals caused glucose spikes and all readings went (approx) from 5.5 to up to 6.5. I drink plenty of decaff coffee and at least a litre of water throughout the day. I am steadily losing weight. As has been said, I'm trying to find things I can eat rather than worrying about things I can't.
Before I started this regime I was eating daily bread with my eggs. Rice, pasta, spuds probably twice a week each plus cakes and snacks. Hopefully I've got my head round things to some degree and to be honest am enjoying my food.
I'm still a couple of months away from my next HbA1c (second) blood test but if personal monitor readings are anything to go by I'm hopeful.

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
Not everyone feels able to exercise, and some find it raises instead of lowering their blood glucose. However, a lot of us use exercise after meals successfully. The exact method varies. Some say walk straight after eating, some 15 to 20 nminutes after a meal, some say walk vigorously, some say walking gently is just as good. Personally, I eat rather slowly, so walking is hard to fit in before my one hour blood glucose test. Instead, I tend to walk straight after my one hour test, which has the advantage that the test result may motivate me to try harder in order to bring my bg down for the two hour test.

I believe Mbaker doesn't work out too soon after eating because his workouts are too vigorous to permit that. As with deciding how many carbs to eat, everyone has to conduct his/her own experiments. Which is actually quite interesting. Good luck!
Hi @Alexandra100, definitely right, I could not workout after my final afternoon / early evening meal, as it is usually 2 course. On 3 or 4 evenings I tend to do my brisk walks an hour and half to two hours after eating. My younger daughter does Karate near Clacton, so I walk beachside there, and also dancing at Walton-On-The-Naze, so again I get to brisk walk beachside (this ones for you @pavlosn):

upload_2017-10-5_17-56-23.png

The rise in blood sugars after walking fast, if not too high can be mitigated by the additional health benefits, or sometimes as you suggest walking slower. It would be interesting to find out from those who get a rise after walking what the results are after 3 - 5 hours.

kittypoker

Type of diabetes
Friend
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hi @Alexandra100, definitely right, I could not workout after my final afternoon / early evening meal, as it is usually 2 course. On 3 or 4 evenings I tend to do my brisk walks an hour and half to two hours after eating. My younger daughter does Karate near Clacton, so I walk beachside there, and also dancing at Walton-On-The-Naze, so again I get to brisk walk beachside (this ones for you @pavlosn):

View attachment 24079

The rise in blood sugars after walking fast, if not too high can be mitigated by the additional health benefits, or sometimes as you suggest walking slower. It would be interesting to find out from those who get a rise after walking what the results are after 3 - 5 hours.

If you ever see a tubby (more svelte now since LCHF) little old-ish woman walking a white and black Greyhound along the beachfront in Clacton/Holland/Frinton, give a wave! Exercise isn't always easy but, for me, it stabilises the appetite and gives a pleasant little buzz. And the dog is happy.

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
If you ever see a tubby (more svelte now since LCHF) little old-ish woman walking a white and black Greyhound along the beachfront in Clacton/Holland/Frinton, give a wave! Exercise isn't always easy but, for me, it stabilises the appetite and gives a pleasant little buzz. And the dog is happy.
I will look out for you as Greyhounds I would imagine are not that common.