VICTOZA users

puddock

Re: VICTOZA

Joely said:
Is Victoza only given to T2's who had to be on insulin?

No, I'm Type 2 and oral medication wasn't bringing my blood sugar levels down low enough. I was seen by a consultant at my local hospital who suggested changing to insulin, but the diabetic nurse disagreed and said I should try Victoza. I'm so glad I did because I don't think I would be getting the results I seem to be getting (see earlier post & below) :wink:

Valeris

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Dislikes
Heavy exercise.Salt Vegetables without spices

I work the night shift. I am 4ft 11in (151cm) I weigh 13st 13lbs (89kg) Have been on levemir and rapid for the past year with very poor results between 15 and 23 with the occassional dips into single figures. HbA1c at best was 11.1 cholesterol 4.7.

I have just managed to take 1000mg of metformin a day as opposed to the 2000mg my PN wishes me to take. She has started me on victoza yesterday evening.

So far I have had a sore bloated stomach, wind from both ends and severe heartburn. I am not too worried about this as I have been assured that it will only last two weeks.

I usually have a sandwich at midnight and a meal at 5am. I do believe I only ate about 6 mouthfuls, which is very unusual for me as I freely admit (much to my and probably your discuss too) that I could normally eat enough for 4 people, hence being overweight.

I sincerely hope I have as much success as the rest of you seem to have had.

I will try to keep this updated on a Monday

mofofunk

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
Finger prickers for BG testing & having to self inject - NEEDLES in general!

Morning all,

Well I am due to start Victoza in the next few days (getting perscription today and getting shown how to use it next week), my problem is I have a huge fear of needles :cry: :cry: . I am T2, on metformin, but it just isn't working. So I am really worried about having to use this victoza, just because of the tiny needle! Can anyone advise the best place to stick myself? I'm over weight, so have quite a bit of blubber to go at, but I really want to know where I will feel it the least. Thanks in advance

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.

Your DSN/GP should have/will advise you where to inject. It is usually in the stomach area as for anybody that is overweight that is the best place.

There are alternative sites but these should always be discussed with your HCP before using them. You need to inject where there is plenty of fat tissue then it shouldn't be painful.

Having injected in my stomach area for over 18 months now I have only had a couple of painful jabs which my own fault as I didn't 'pinch a bit of flesh' and it stung a tiny bit. Once you get used to the idea you will wonder why you worried about it. Especially if you get good results.

No pain - no gain ! :D

mofofunk

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Dislikes

Thanks for the reply, I'll just have to bite the bullet on this one i guess! Its not that I'm worried about it hurting so much; its the phobia of needels which I am going to struggle with, in my eyes its like asking someone with a fear of flying, to fly a plane :shock:

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.

Sorry to hear about your needle Phobia. Depending on how severe it is your GP should be able to refer you to get help in overcoming this. Its a recognised condition which can be treated successfully.
Discuss your concerns with your GP.

If its just that you are not keen on the idea of injecting ? Then it isn't that bad. I too was apprehensive about it when I first started. After a few jabs you wonder why you worried. If you think about it there are many times as a Diabetic we have to have injections or blood tests. It is something you have to get used to if you want to keep good control. Difficult maybe, but not insurmountable.

Hope you get it sorted as Victoza appears to be a 'star player' for many Diabetics. It would be a shame to miss out on an effective treatment.

PatW

Hello everyone

Just a quick update on my progress having been on Victoza since 15th January 2010. Just had check up at local hospital and very pleased with results. HbA1c 6.3. Chol 4. Lost 2 stones in weight. Full bloods done and Dr stated, everything looked good.
I need to start the weight loss again as it has stabilised. Will have to work harder and make some cuts in my diet. I feel really well on this drug and pleased that I was in the right place at the right time when offered it. When the medication suits what a difference it makes to how you feel.
To the poster who is afraid of injecting, no one wants to do it, but it is going to help you. I remember my first injection well - it was 15th January (my Birthday), I sat poised with injection pen for 1 hour counting endless times to ten but could't do it. The phone rang and I said to myself just do it before you answer call and I did, thankfully. Never looked back since, it is just routine now.
I do visit the site but don't post often. I value the advice given by Ken and Sue and many other posters and thank them for their time spent in helping others. It really is a valuable Forum.
Take care all.
Pat x

mofofunk

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Dislikes

Again I'd like to thank you for your kind words and support; I think its these kind of testimonials that are going to help me get my head round this. I'm sure once the first one is out of the way, I'll be ok, its just taking that leap, in my case. I'll be sure to let you know how I get on once i start taking it (just waiting for my appointment, to be shown how to use it), its almost taunting me, sitting there in the fridge waiting to be used lol :?

Thanks again

Robbie34

mofofunk said:
Again I'd like to thank you for your kind words and support; I think its these kind of testimonials that are going to help me get my head round this. I'm sure once the first one is out of the way, I'll be ok, its just taking that leap, in my case. I'll be sure to let you know how I get on once i start taking it (just waiting for my appointment, to be shown how to use it), its almost taunting me, sitting there in the fridge waiting to be used lol :?

Thanks again

Don't worry about injecting yourself as you won't feel a thing. I was dreading having to inject, and when I was doing it for the first time with the diabetic nurse, I was surprised when she said that the needle was in. I could not believe it as I didn't feel a thing. If you are overweight then it should be totally painless. Inject an inch or so away to the right or left of your belly button, and you will be amazed just how easy it is.

Valeris

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Dislikes

Hi all, it's been one week since I started taking victoza I've lost 7lbs/4kg. The heartburn has died down a bit due to some of your advise to use a tsp of cider vinegar in a pint of water.

Has anyone found a problem eating? I seem to be able to eat breakfast and lunch, but when it comes to evening meal I can only manage a few mouthfuls.

However my BS records have settled down in that for the first half of the week they stopped fluctuating between single figures and the twenties. it was between 9.7 and 15.2 with more 10/11.

By the end of the week my readings were a better 8.0 - 8.8, so it is definately more encouraging.

I don't think there is anymore I can say except good luck to all new starters. :D

puddock

Valeris said:
Has anyone found a problem eating? I seem to be able to eat breakfast and lunch, but when it comes to evening meal I can only manage a few mouthfuls.

Yes, that happened to me too and my portion sizes have dramatically reduced. Now I just go with it and eat small amounts, otherwise I feel nauseous.

Nilla

Just checking in again, hubby been on Victoza now for almost 3 months, his last blood results at docs were 5.5 and he has lost 3 stone almost, hes got his appetite back now

One problem we are having is that sometimes some Victoza leaks out after injecting, he leaves the needle in for 10 seconds so no idea whats happening

puddock

Nilla said:
One problem we are having is that sometimes some Victoza leaks out after injecting, he leaves the needle in for 10 seconds so no idea whats happening

My understanding is that it is not unusual for a drop to be left on the end of the needle after withdrawal and this too happens to me. However, if it is more than this, then it would be wise to check with a diabetic nurse as it may be a faulty pen and/or needle.

Nilla

We did have a faulty pen that was changed and all has been ok with this one, we are 3/4 way through it and now Victoza leaks out, its odd

ChelleQ

Type of diabetes
Type 2

Hello I am new here but have been reading the boards for a while now. I want to say that all of your post has helped me alot. I have been diabetic for about 8 years now. When they found it my ac1 was 10.5 they put me on glucophage and didnt seem to drop it very fast so I started doing a low carb diet. When I started I weighed 328 lbs. In a little over 7 months I had lost 100 lbs and my AC1 was 6.5. I continued to work at it and ended up getting it to 5.0.

well a few years later, a divorce, and a lot of stress and eating poorly my sugars began to creep up again. Last sept. My number was 9.5. My weight had gone up a bit also. Last month I got really sick and checked my sugar and it was 547 (30.38 mmol/l) , no wonder I was sick. I had lost alot of weight and knew that I wasnt eating right so knew it was my diabetes. Went to the dr. and my AC had gone up to 11.5.

anyways my dr. started me on victoza. I was so scared that I didnt start it right away. I kept reading the forums and some was good some was bad so still didnt know what I should do. Finally 11 days ago my new husband of one year said to me please try it. Now with saying this I have tried meds along the years and always always make me so sick that I have to stop taking it so the thought of the side effects from this shot really scared me but I did agree to try it as I saw the fear in his eyes.

the first day was ok, the second wasnt so good, day 3 and 4 I thought I was going to die, so very very sick, nausea, headache, dizzy, weak , light headed but I continued to take it.. well I am so glad I did... each day I am feeling better... Day one my sugars were running 425 (23.61 mmol/l) to 550 (30.55 mmol/l) Today they are running 145 (8.05 mmol/l to 198 (11 mmol/l). I cant eat much though as I feel so full and if I eat fatty or sweet foods I feel really sick... When I started 11 days ago my weight was 196.5 this morning it was 186.2 so yayyy for that... I hope you are all doing well and ty again for posting your post on this because without it I do believe I would never had tried this..
Chelle

Valeris

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Dislikes

Good for you Chelle. Really glad you stuck with it and are reaping the rewards. Best wishes Valeris.

mou92

Hi there everyone :)
I am a type 2 diabetic for about ten years or more, and i inject four times a day using Apidra plus an injection of Lantus at bedtime. I have just been started on Vitoza last week. My injection was o.6 to start with, now raising to 1.6 since yesterday. I am 23st weight, and my consultant feels this will do me good weight wise. I am worrying this will do me harm, as it says it's not to be used with insulin :!: I also read online that it had caused thyroid cancer in rats during testing, which i find very worrying. My nurse has told me she has had high weight loses from other patients.
The only thing is, she has told me not to eat unless i'm really very hungry, as i will defeat the purpose of using the Vitoza.

Any good advice please
Muriel x