Wrist bands

NinaB73

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
When I was a child my parents bought me an SOS talisman with my details within, good idea at the time and as a parent I would have done the same. These days I am more complacent and don't really carry identification as such but I do have a card in my purse which states I am diabetic and all my relevant details, (probably dated!) The 'things' worn upon me have stopped, I don't know if that is a good idea or not so I would be interested to hear of what others do too!

Reactions: Neil211259

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I think a wrist band is a good idea.

I only ever used to wear the wrist band when out running, because I felt that was when I was most at risk of hypo-ing and needing 3rd party assistance (I've never actually had a severe hypo during exercise and have only ever required 3rd P assistance when at home to at work - so those assisting already knew I am diabetic).

I really really hated wearing the wristband though. So I gave up and got a tattoo on my wrist instead.

I think the tattoo has been relied upon, indirectly, by a first aider once as a colleague noticed it and commented on it at the tea point one day and, as he is an ex-doctor, he got called upon to be in charge of the first aid when I had a pretty severe hypo at work a few weeks later. It always gets praised as a good idea when I'm having blood taken, lol. I guess the aim is to never have to rely upon any medical ID, but given the number of times I seriously contemplated catapulting the wristband across the road when running, if that was all I was relying on I bet I wouldn't be wearing it when I needed it. At least with the tatto I can guarantee it's always there! Should there be a miracle cure I'll have it creatively amended :)

Reactions: NinaB73

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Wrist bands are better than nothing. Anything that highlights your condition is a good idea.
I have to go with @catapillar on this one. I have a medical tattoo on left forearm, many have commented on it being a good idea.
It's permanent and I don't have to worry about it.
Tattoos are not for all but if you decide to go for one, make sure it gets the message across first and foremost, and looks good secondly.