Cracked Medtronic 640G Critical Failure Code!

Spicey245

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Working full time, fairground rides or anything which makes too much adrenaline!
Medtronic say they haven't had any reports of cracking in the 640g nor has Kings College London! I don't believe it! I couldn't take more care if I tried! After having so many break I am now paranoid! There must be a problem! The previous cracks were hairline and if I wasn't looking for them I probably wouldn't have found them. I could only see them with my glasses on! I think there are probably loads of people who have cracking but haven't. Noticed especially if they have them in a cover/case.

Hmmm... they have DEFINITELY had reports of cracking, I'm **** sure of that!! I have also reported this latest cracked pump to Yellowcard (you should do the same!). I wouldn't have been able to see this crack if I didn't have my glasses on and a very bright light off my phone on!

Engineer88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Always at the worst time isnt it? if it helps im on my 3rd Animas vibe due to the same problem

Spicey245

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Working full time, fairground rides or anything which makes too much adrenaline!
Always at the worst time isnt it? if it helps im on my 3rd Animas vibe due to the same problem

Ahh, it always seem to happen on a weekend with me! Lol! I've let a nice lady called Angela at Medtronic know about it as I've been chatting to her since it had a reboot at the weekend! I ran a self-test on it (as she asked me to do) and it passed. I know that if it got submerged in water it would die pretty much instantly though! Lol!

That's a shame to hear about the Animas Vibe doing the same as that was going to be the pump I was thinking of getting switched to!! :banghead:

Engineer88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Ahh, it always seem to happen on a weekend with me! Lol! I've let a nice lady called Angela at Medtronic know about it as I've been chatting to her since it had a reboot at the weekend! I ran a self-test on it (as she asked me to do) and it passed. I know that if it got submerged in water it would die pretty much instantly though! Lol!

That's a shame to hear about the Animas Vibe doing the same as that was going to be the pump I was thinking of getting switched to!! :banghead:
they are good at replacing them though, they are saying its down to over tightening the battery cap in our case

Spicey245

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Nope, I have never over tightened the battery cap, the crack doesn't start at the top of the battery case anyway, it's down the slightly thinner plastic on the very back. She said something in her email to me today which suggested they are aware of a defect with the casing and are keeping track of pumps that are cracking so there is definitely an issue with them. My advice is if you own ANY type of waterproof pump, check them regularly for cracks!!!!

Reactions: azure

rockape37

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Over the top political correctness
When i had my pump training i was told to remove it prior to having a shower despite it veing waterproof. Having said that I've since read that hot showers could actually cause the insulin to coagulate in the tubing as its a bit like a protien and could act like egg white.

Maybe we all should get into the habit of doing a visual check of our pumps during a set change. I always check the old canular that i remove.

Regards
Martin

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
I've had an animas pump for more than 6 years and haven't had one crack in all that time. There's been a couple of pump failures for different reasons. On each occasion the pump has been replaced promptly without fuss.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Nope, I have never over tightened the battery cap, the crack doesn't start at the top of the battery case anyway, it's down the slightly thinner plastic on the very back. She said something in her email to me today which suggested they are aware of a defect with the casing and are keeping track of pumps that are cracking so there is definitely an issue with them. My advice is if you own ANY type of waterproof pump, check them regularly for cracks!!!!

When I was choosing my pump (I had a choice between Medtronic 640 and the Vibe) I googled for weeks (literally) I did read some people commenting about the Medtronic casing being weaker and the clip breaking off too. That was the main reason I chose the Vibe.

Perhaps you could ask Medtronic if they have other reports of this happening?

iHs

The 640G and Vibe are made from the same type of plastic that is solid and rigid y and doesnt absorb shock from falling on to a hard surface like laminate floor as an example so not that surprising that the plastic is prone to cracking in vulnerable areas like on the Vibe it's around the battery cap.
The Combo Spirit was made from a different type of plastic that was light in weight but the Insight is made from a plastic similar to the 640 and Vibe. Some of the cracking is also due to the design of the pump and the type of reinforcement that is used to try to prevent cracking.

Last edited:

iHs

@iHs What was the old D Tron made of? That seemed much harder casing.

no idea, but most things manufactured years ago were made to last, but not so anymore.

A tip from me is that the Vibe metal pump clip is also compatible with the 640G

Spicey245

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
no idea, but most things manufactured years ago were made to last, but not so anymore.

A tip from me is that the Vibe metal pump clip is also compatible with the 640G
Oh that's interesting, I didn't know that! The Vibe clip is a LOT more robust than the Medtronic one, thanks for the tip!

Well, it sounded in the ladies email (she was lovely by the way and has been a great help) that they have had a few accounts of other cracks so there's clearly an issue. My DSN emailed me this morning asking how I got on with Medtronic. I can't fault them, they have been great, really helpful and lovely. I asked the lady from Medtronic for a purple pump too which she was only too happy to order for me and she emailed me back this morning to say it was on it's way. Should arrive on Monday! So will spend the weekend downloading my pump data! Lol!

Spicey245

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
So, I've got yet ANOTHER cracked pump! This will be my 4th new pump since 2015!!

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hiya @Spicey245 - Whereabouts is the crack on it ? I had one this year, it went all the way round the battery casing, not sure when it happened or even how but it was replaced with a loan pump within 1 day.

Spicey245

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hiya @Spicey245 - Whereabouts is the crack on it ? I had one this year, it went all the way round the battery casing, not sure when it happened or even how but it was replaced with a loan pump within 1 day.
Mine is around the battery casing this time too and down the back!!

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi @Spicey245 Hopefully you'll get your replacement soon ?

Spicey245

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Oh @Spicey245 , I remember this thread from last year and I am so so sorry that it's happened AGAIN!

Hugs!

:)
Thanks @Snapsy! They have told me there is a 2 week wait for a new one so will just have to hope and pray that this one doesn't give a critical error! :-/

Ann48

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Thanks @Snapsy! They have told me there is a 2 week wait for a new one so will just have to hope and pray that this one doesn't give a critical error! :-/

Last night I posted that my pump had stopped working. On close inspection today, I can see a crack from the battery compartment right down the casing. I didn't notice it last night, but I know why it stopped working as I did an Aqua class last Wednesday. Interesting that so many people have reported same issue.