kemilly3

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Right, I've been measuring my blood glucose for a couple of weeks now. Acknowledging that we are not medical professionals, what are your thoughts on the below readings?

My HBA1C was 40mmol (risen from 36 the year before) and I have family history of type 2 (grandfather and uncle). My BMI is 34.1 and definitely carried around my waist. Despite being somewhat active (I don't hate gym, do aerial yoga for strength up until I moved recently, and walk a fair bit at weekends) I really struggle to lose weight (in an attempt to do just that last year, I did a half marathon - trained 3 days a week for 6/7 months and barely lost any bloody weight).

6 out of 10 fasting readings have been over 6.0 but I have tried hard to cut down on carbs and have given up wine (sob) and the last two days have been really good. I seem to have ok readings during the day - pre meal readings under 6.3, and all but three post meals are under 7.7. Readings before bed are between 6.4 and 7.8. (not sure if this is good or not... is there a standard reading to aim for besides pre and post?)

Start MMOL When
06/10/2017 12:00 5.0 Pre
06/10/2017 10:00 4.9 Fasting
06/10/2017 01:00 7.0 Night
05/10/2017 10:00 6.2 Post
05/10/2017 08:00 5.5 Fasting
05/10/2017 00:00 7.0 Night
04/10/2017 09:00 4.9 Post
04/10/2017 07:00 5.9 Pre
04/10/2017 03:00 5.9 Post
03/10/2017 22:00 6.5 Night
03/10/2017 09:00 5.3 Post
03/10/2017 07:00 6.1 Post
02/10/2017 16:00 10.6 Post
02/10/2017 14:00 5.9 Post
02/10/2017 07:00 6.2 Pre
01/10/2017 22:00 6.4 Night
01/10/2017 11:00 4.9 Post
01/10/2017 09:00 5.3 Pre
30/09/2017 07:00 5.8 Pre
29/09/2017 08:00 6.5 Post
29/09/2017 06:00 6.7 Fasting
28/09/2017 22:00 7.8 Night
28/09/2017 18:00 5.9 Excersize
28/09/2017 17:00 7.4 Random
28/09/2017 09:00 6.7 Post
28/09/2017 07:00 6.9 Fasting
22/09/2017 10:00 4.6 Pre
22/09/2017 09:00 5.5 Post
22/09/2017 07:00 5.5 Fasting
20/09/2017 21:00 8.5 Post
20/09/2017 19:00 5.0 Pre
20/09/2017 15:00 7.5 Post
20/09/2017 12:00 4.2 Pre
20/09/2017 08:00 6.9 Post
20/09/2017 06:00 6.0 Fasting
19/09/2017 23:00 6.5 Night
17/09/2017 07:00 6.6 Fasting
16/09/2017 09:00 7.3 Post
16/09/2017 08:00 5.8 Fasting
15/09/2017 22:00 6.7 Night
15/09/2017 08:00 6.2 Post
15/09/2017 06:00 6.5 Fasting
14/09/2017 15:00 6.3 Post
14/09/2017 12:00 4.6 Pre

As an aside, until I started researching about blood glucose I was taking st John's wort, and have done so for about 8 years without real break. I've only just realised that it probably wasn't a good idea and you aren't supposed to take it for prolonged periods, although it has possibly done me the world of good as it apparently lowers blood sugars.

I was thinking that it is worth asking for a glucose tolerance test, despite my HBA1C being within normal, and also a cortisol test (I am basing that on the fact that high cortisol at night can lead to high fasting readings, and also because my testosterone level was at the cusp of being too low at a recent blood test, when we were expecting it high as I am being tested for PCOS, and high cortisol can cause low t).

With this information, do you think it is worth asking for more tests? Would you consider an insulin or glucose problem at these levels?

Thanks in advance, I have found this forum mega useful over the last few weeks.

AM1874

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Not much
Hi @kemilly3 ..
Nothing wrong with your numbers that I can see .. perhaps the most interesting is your 10.6 (post-meal) on 2nd Oct. That's the real bonus of regular testing .. you can spot trends over time (yours are good) and you can pick up "spikes" when particular foods affect your blood sugar levels. Your reading of 10.6 looks like a spike .. can you remember what you ate for your meal before that particular test?
I think it's unlikely that your Doc or Nurse would sanction a Glucose Tolerance test but hey, there's nothing to stop you asking :happy::happy:

Reactions: kemilly3

kemilly3

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @kemilly3 ..
Nothing wrong with your numbers that I can see .. perhaps the most interesting is your 10.6 (post-meal) on 2nd Oct. That's the real bonus of regular testing .. you can spot trends over time (yours are good) and you can pick up "spikes" when particular foods affect your blood sugar levels. Your reading of 10.6 looks like a spike .. can you remember what you ate for your meal before that particular test?
I think it's unlikely that your Doc or Nurse would sanction a Glucose Tolerance test but hey, there's nothing to stop you asking :happy::happy:
Thanks for your thoughts, appreciate it. Don't want to ask if there is going to be no point (I was thinking that anyway, even if I am diagnosed as prediabetic, I don't suspect I'd get much help but thought it might be worth a go!).

I do remember what it was - I have a thing for supernoodles! I suspected they would be bad and they were. No more supernoodles for me (to be fair, I shouldn't still be eating them at my age - they have no nutritional value and are pure carb).

AM1874

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Not much
Hi @kemilly3
Supernoodles .. about 23 grams carbs per 100 grams .. so, there you go :eek:

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I am thinking your bedtime readings are high. Can you think of a reason for this? What time do you last eat? After your evening meal do you keep testing after the 2 hour mark to see if you are peaking late? Do you do your exercising during the evening after eating and before bed? What do you do during that time? There must be some reason why your bedtime readings are higher than your post meal.

The standard readings for non-diabetics are 4 to 5.9 fasting and before meals (including bedtimes), and under 7.8 at any time.

Exercise is an excellent way to gain better general health and to keep fit. I am not aware it is of much use as far as weight loss is concerned. As they say, you cannot burn off a bad diet. (I am not for one minute suggesting your diet is bad!)

kemilly3

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I am thinking your bedtime readings are high. Can you think of a reason for this? What time do you last eat? After your evening meal do you keep testing after the 2 hour mark to see if you are peaking late? Do you do your exercising during the evening after eating and before bed? What do you do during that time? There must be some reason why your bedtime readings are higher than your post meal.

The standard readings for non-diabetics are 4 to 5.9 fasting and before meals (including bedtimes), and under 7.8 at any time.

Exercise is an excellent way to gain better general health and to keep fit. I am not aware it is of much use as far as weight loss is concerned. As they say, you cannot burn off a bad diet. (I am not for one minute suggesting your diet is bad!)
Thanks @Bluetit1802, that is good to have clarified.

I am not sure about high night times - I haven't tested over 2 hours but will give it a go - I have read about eating an apple and then testing every 15 mins after to see where I normally spike so will try that too. My testing has mostly been in the morning, after breakfast and then before bed so I'll do more lunch times and evening meals and get a better picture. I am thinking probably dinners are too carb heavy or too big as a potential answer. I'd normally exercise before my evening meal but I have been trying not to (seems counter-intuitive but I haven't wanted exercise to influence my readings while I am trying to get a better picture of what is going on).

If you had been suggesting that I wouldn't have taken offence at all ;) I am overweight and it has clearly come from somewhere, so whilst I don't drink fizzy drinks, take aways or much chocolate, there's no hiding that my diet can't be perfect or I wouldn't be overweight.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Testing before and after all meals (2 hours after first bite and keep going after 2 hours in the evenings to see why you are high at bedtime) is the way to make discoveries, and keeping a food diary including all ingredients of the meal and portion sizes is more than useful. You can record your before and after levels alongside your food and look for patterns. This gives you the chance to reduce carb portions or eliminate some. Try to keep any rise from before to after under 2mmol/l, preferably less. More than that and there are too many carbs in that meal. . Portion size is important. Also meal timing. If you can't get your bedtime levels down, try eating an hour earlier.

Exercise is weird. In some it helps lower blood glucose. In others it raises BG. I know it raises mine - today I vacuumed the downstairs rooms with a heavy vacuum cleaner. My levels rose by 1.5mmol/l from before to after, no food involved. I find a normal gentle to brisk 20 minute walk is better than anything strenuous. You may differ, and you mustn't let this put you off your normal exercise routine, just be aware it can, in some people, raise levels.

Reactions: cocobee.2017

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Testing before and after all meals (2 hours after first bite and keep going after 2 hours in the evenings to see why you are high at bedtime) is the way to make discoveries, and keeping a food diary including all ingredients of the meal and portion sizes is more than useful. You can record your before and after levels alongside your food and look for patterns. This gives you the chance to reduce carb portions or eliminate some. Try to keep any rise from before to after under 2mmol/l, preferably less. More than that and there are too many carbs in that meal. . Portion size is important. Also meal timing. If you can't get your bedtime levels down, try eating an hour earlier.

Exercise is weird. In some it helps lower blood glucose. In others it raises BG. I know it raises mine - today I vacuumed the downstairs rooms with a heavy vacuum cleaner. My levels rose by 1.5mmol/l from before to after, no food involved. I find a normal gentle to brisk 20 minute walk is better than anything strenuous. You may differ, and you mustn't let this put you off your normal exercise routine, just be aware it can, in some people, raise levels.
That's why I have hubby vacuum haha. That's the story I'm sticking with. It does raise me too. Washing floors as well. I too do best with gentle walking.

Reactions: Bluetit1802

CherryAA

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for your thoughts, appreciate it. Don't want to ask if there is going to be no point (I was thinking that anyway, even if I am diagnosed as prediabetic, I don't suspect I'd get much help but thought it might be worth a go!).

I do remember what it was - I have a thing for supernoodles! I suspected they would be bad and they were. No more supernoodles for me (to be fair, I shouldn't still be eating them at my age - they have no nutritional value and are pure carb).

If you do want to find out, you can simply buy the stuff on the internet and check what it does to your blood glucose, a few of us have done that
https://www.gpsupplies.com/rapilose-ogtt-glucose-solution-300ml-pack-of-24

Alison Campbell

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I agree, the missing data is pre and post dinner and lunch. I think you will find out more if you concentrate on this area.

kemilly3

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks @Alison Campbell, will do. I've been slack as hadn't really wanted to test at work but I've told everyone now so no worries anymore, and dinner I haven't been testing as much because I usually pick while I cook (terrible habit...) but will just have to try not too. What do you do when you are out for dinner as you might start eating at say 7 but still be eating at 8 of you have pudding, so assuming testing at 9 would be a waste of time as blood sugar would very likely be high still?

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks @Alison Campbell, will do. I've been slack as hadn't really wanted to test at work but I've told everyone now so no worries anymore, and dinner I haven't been testing as much because I usually pick while I cook (terrible habit...) but will just have to try not too. What do you do when you are out for dinner as you might start eating at say 7 but still be eating at 8 of you have pudding, so assuming testing at 9 would be a waste of time as blood sugar would very likely be high still?

Hi,
Tell yourself that "kitchen pickers wear bigger knickers". There is a fridge magnet saying that! ;)

As for long drawn out meals, it is always difficult. Sometimes I test before I start each course. This gives you a reading for the start of the pudding and also a post meal for the first course, which may be well before the 2 hours, but will still give you an idea, especially if it at an hour as that could be nearer the peak. You could then devise your own strategy for testing after your pudding. Or, if it is unusual to eat out for dinner, just before you start and then again at bedtime. There are no hard and fast rules, just be consistent if you can, and keep notes in your food diary.

kemilly3

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi,
Tell yourself that "kitchen pickers wear bigger knickers". There is a fridge magnet saying that! ;)

As for long drawn out meals, it is always difficult. Sometimes I test before I start each course. This gives you a reading for the start of the pudding and also a post meal for the first course, which may be well before the 2 hours, but will still give you an idea, especially if it at an hour as that could be nearer the peak. You could then devise your own strategy for testing after your pudding. Or, if it is unusual to eat out for dinner, just before you start and then again at bedtime. There are no hard and fast rules, just be consistent if you can, and keep notes in your food diary.
Thanks @Bluetit1802 :)