Sugar level elevation after having an afternoon nap???

Key_master_

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Good evening all, I hope everyone is doing splendidly. Need to dip my toe in your diabetes wisdom pool once again. ;)

I’ve noticed that if I have an afternoon nap wake up with sugars ok and in a good range. Example today 5.9 an hour and half later I’m just under 9. Not eaten anything, nothing left to digest as dinner was at 12ish and very low carb, in fact mostly protein. Covered it with the chaser jab I have to to assist the later digestion of said protein as waiting to get on regular insulin rather than novorapid for meals.

Just wonder if anyone else has this reaction, it’s just like the morning DP I experience..

Thanks in advance you lovely lot

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
HI! You can get a liver dump at any time of day, it's not necessarily just a wake up thing. I believe it can happen every five or so hours if needs be. A couple of years ago when I was feeling quite poorly I'd sleep till around tea time, and my "dawn phenomenon" had obligingly moved itself round till then too. :wideyed::D

Robbity

Reactions: Key_master_

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Any period where your body is fasting can cause a surge of glucose to assist. Whatever shift at work or period abroad in a different time zone.
Jetlag is the body slowly trying to keep up but the brain gets fog due to stress hormone (cortisol) flooding the system.
Liver dump or cortisol both raise bgs, quickly for survival.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Our liver releases glucose from its stores whenever it detects our glucose in the blood stream is low. In normal healthy people this is quickly dealt with by the pancreas delivering insulin. It can happen at any time of the day or night, whenever our glucose is low. I know nothing about injected insulin as I don't use it, but that is what happens in many T2s and healthy non-diabetics.

Key_master_

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Our liver releases glucose from its stores whenever it detects our glucose in the blood stream is low. In normal healthy people this is quickly dealt with by the pancreas delivering insulin. It can happen at any time of the day or night, whenever our glucose is low. I know nothing about injected insulin as I don't use it, but that is what happens in many T2s and healthy non-diabetics.

Thanks bluetit!! ;)

DaftThoughts

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Happens to me too, I usually drop significantly during a nap (somewhere between 4.5-5.5 usually) and after I wake up, my body dumps glucose, even if it's been over 6 hours since I last ate. It's pretty normal, I usually have a small snack with a small injection and it keeps me below 7 most of the time. If it goes unchecked I can hit 8 or 9 fast.