Dafne!

RJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I am on the DAFNE course this week....and what an eye opener!!!!

I have learnt more in 3 days than I have in the last (nearly) 4 years of being a diabetic and am enjoying learning more about this condition and just chatting to other type ones and sharing stories and experiences. :D

Ruth

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Likewise Ruth, the DAFNE course is a fantastic way of learning to control your diabetes better and to meet new people, the 3 month follow-up is also worth attending so do be sure to make it!

Nigel

hazyclaire

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I loved DAFNE, I went on it 3 years ago and it honestly changed my life. It was fantastic to be able to eat what I wanted when I wanted, but also to learn a lot about the condition and treatment and spend a week in the company of people in the same situtation who really understand. I can't recommend the course enough.

badmedisin

I think DAFNE is the most useful thing a type 1 can do. Literally learnt more in 5 days than in the previous 22 years, and the 3 month check up was great cos I had my first ever good HbA1c result. Do it!!

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
With so many positive responses from people who have been on the DAFNE course here and elsewhere, isn't time the NHS/government woke up and made more funding available to roll-out more courses across the UK?

I can't see it happening at the moment with the slash and burn policies of the present coalition government, but surely money spent now would save a fortune in the future!

Nigel

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
noblehead said:
With so many positive responses from people who have been on the DAFNE course here and elsewhere, isn't time the NHS/government woke up and made more funding available to roll-out more courses across the UK?

I can't see it happening at the moment with the slash and burn policies of the present coalition government, but surely money spent now would save a fortune in the future!

Nigel
Maybe a tad pessimisitc. The Draft quality standard for diabetes in adults was released this week (and open to comment so worth looking at http://www.nice.org.uk/media/163/66/Dia ... andard.pdf Standard 3 says
People with diabetes and/or their carer(s) receive a structured educational programme that fulfils the nationally agreed criteria from the time of diagnosis, with annual review and access to ongoing reinforcement.

I had a look at the briefing paper supplied to the drafting panel. This briefly describes DAFNE (and DESMOND), in a favourable way. Costs are also mentioned and they are not that high.
Costs for Dose Adjustment for Normal Eating (DAFNE) range from £250 to £290, and research has shown that this becomes cost effective after four years.
http://www.nice.org.uk/media/0CF/0A/QSDiabetesBriefingPaperForConsultation.pdf

That cost benefit is well worth reminding them of in any response.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Thanks Phoenix, £250-£290 is cheaper than I thought, I was under the impression it was nearer £500.

Nigel

Snodger

those who have been on a Dafne course, how did you get to go on it? Did you ask your doc, did your doc suggest it, did you find it online - ? Are there any restrictions on who can go (obviously, apart from being type 1)?
I would like to try it, but not sure of the 'etiquette' - there are no dafne courses in my region so I'd have to go to London for it. That's fine by me but not sure if it means problems for my doctor in funding it. If anyone's able to throw any light on it that would help me know the basics when/if I ask the doc.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Snodger said:
those who have been on a Dafne course, how did you get to go on it? Did you ask your doc, did your doc suggest it, did you find it online - ? Are there any restrictions on who can go (obviously, apart from being type 1)?
I would like to try it, but not sure of the 'etiquette' - there are no dafne courses in my region so I'd have to go to London for it. That's fine by me but not sure if it means problems for my doctor in funding it. If anyone's able to throw any light on it that would help me know the basics when/if I ask the doc.

I read about it first then proceeded to ask my dsn to book me a place, so do ask yours to book you a place if possible, as I am unsure if you can enroll on a course if its outside your PCT, but nonetheless check!

Nigel