When Should You Feel a Hypo?

slip

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Quicker drops can and you may not feel them until under 3.0. If the drops are gentler you may well feel them above 3.0 and nearer to 4.0.

and then again, gentler drops can sneak up on you and you don't notice them until you're well down in the 3s or lower!

:arghh:

Reactions: Fairygodmother

Angusc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
long term diabetes can effect your sensitivity to hypos massively I'm 55 years type 1 and I don't notice Hypos till I get below 1.2 as I was on a ward 8+ years ago walking around asking for a blood test as was feeling low but 3 nurses said you can't be and the 4th nurse tested my blood sugars and it came out 1.2 and then they panic#ed as they said I should not have been making sense at that level so now I never allow my self to be separated from blood sugar meter and my pump which I got 6 years ago with sensor as every one has different levels that they can function at

Reactions: Fairygodmother

clanders

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Precisely. And what most people consider to be the hallmark sign of hypoglycemia, confusion and inability to function mentally (as well as physically) depends on how your brain functions with lower glucose concentrations. But we measure glucose in the bloodstream not the brain tissue. And we can adapt to lower levels of glucose than the average person. But sooner or later if the sugar keeps dropping it will win. Every time.
You are quite right. We do measure blood sugar which will not give the same reading as other body fluids. My lowest BS, while still standing and talking was 0.9. Usually my legs go at 1.4 and I am unconscious below 0.8. However I usually have lower BS, probably because there are so few carbs that I like. I wonder if there is any research on brain damage/dementia and type 1. I assume the incidence will be greater for both conditions with diabetics?

TheBigNewt

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
You are quite right. We do measure blood sugar which will not give the same reading as other body fluids. My lowest BS, while still standing and talking was 0.9. Usually my legs go at 1.4 and I am unconscious below 0.8. However I usually have lower BS, probably because there are so few carbs that I like. I wonder if there is any research on brain damage/dementia and type 1. I assume the incidence will be greater for both conditions with diabetics?
Actually I remember reading some article awhile back that said hypoglycemia episodes don't lead to brain damage long term.

Amy993

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Have been using Libre for 2 yrs and have found my awareness to be improving.
I am lucky in that Libre gives me very similar readings to blood so can use it to learn. Now I recognise small symptoms even subconsciously.
I awake at night in the 4 s,. If dropping quickly at around 5.0, if slowly nearer 4.0. This is similar to daytime awareness but actually quicker/earlier. Daytime is more like 4.5 (fast) and 3.5 (slow) when I can be certain without checking with Libre - but I find I have actually checked(scanned) without realising that I have felt the symptoms, if that makes sense.
I have found the lag time (time difference between ISF readings and blood) is shorter when going down than when rising; which I believe is the algorithms they have developed to reduce lag and is confirmed by trials. About 5 minutes lag on avaerage but 0 lag when falling and almost 15 minutes when rising. Quite important when working out how much glucose is needed to raise levels without massive rebound.
If falling slowly I will start at around 4.0 with only a 1/4 glucotab, around 1gm of fast acting carb. If falling fast then up to 1 tab (4 gm ) . Then check in 15 minutes and redose if/as needed.
Can now level it out at around 6 without shooting up to the teens :)
So much information from Libre opening up a new world. I would never have dared run so low before without much greater glucose dose and certain hyper following. The old days of 2-4 glucotabs for a hypo have gone thankfully!

On top of the blood/ISF lag, I believe there is a brain/blood lag. It takes about 5-10 minutes for brain symptoms to follow other physical symptoms. An interesting topic.

Thats hardly any gluco tabs - lucky! I need to have 6-8!!

Bill_St

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The total blood in the body only carries 5 gm of glucose. The total body fluids carry around 30 gm. So why do we need 6-8 glucotabs to correct a hypo? A half tablet should be sufficient to raise BG from 0 to half normal - say 3mmol or from hypo at 2 to around 5. But that is if it is totally absorbed.
Our problem is often one of absorption.
Glucose is a very small molecule; it can be absorbed through mucous membranes in the mouth and throat. Rather than swallowing the glucose, is it not better just to try to hold it in the mouth, against lips and cheeks. I find this much more effective and much quicker in action.
This method requires much smaller doses but does not last as long. It will transfer from blood to the other fluids so repeat dose is likely to be necessary (although not certain!).
With the close monitoring of Libre, one can follow the level. This prevents the otherwise rebound to hyper levels. Repeat small doses of fast acting Glucose can be a very effective method of control if you have the continuous information on your levels.

Reactions: Amy993

Levy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi guys, quick question for you on a Saturday arvo!

Just wondering when you should start to feel hypo symptoms? It's quite rare I feel anything above 3.5 (sometimes false hypos at around 4.5 if I've been quite high that day). Today was 2.9 which is closer to when I usually realise and I've been as low as 2.2 before without twigging something was going on.

Just curious as to what the 'Norm' (if there is such a thing in this T1 word!) is?

Many thanks in advance for your help!! xx

Differs for me. Most of the time I feel it in the mid to high 3s, but sometimes it'll be a lot lower before I feel it depending on how quick it's been dropping and what I'm doing at the time. The worst one I had was 0.9 and that literally came out of the blue!

maria030660

Dislikes
backstabbers, brocoli and dirt toilets...uggghhhh
I get symptoms when i go under 4. I start to get cold sweat that start in my neck also i start yawning. But each diabetic is different so will experience different symptoms at different blood sugar levels. The important thing is that you recognize them and then act to prevent passing out.