Interested in what people think about my project!

bidder1603

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
none- fiction and tuna
Hey guys!

I'm currently a third year student studying Fashion Promotion and I have had Diabetes for the past 19 years! I've decided this year to focus my projects around my life and my diabetes. For one of my projects I have to create a brand so I've decided to base it around designing cool, original cases for diabetics! These will be to hold either testing kits or injection pens... or both.. I'm aiming these at young people with Diabetes and was hoping to get some peoples opinions :) This is all hypothetical and I wont actually be making a fully working product but I will be drawing and painting some print designs for the cases :)

I posted about this on a different diabetes site and received some angry comments from old men and women so decided maybe this was a better place to come :facepalm::p

Leave me some comments!

Georgina

librarising

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Sounds interesting. I hope we get to see some of your ideas. I'm sure they'll be better than my current black 'bag of tricks'.
Geoff

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @bidder1603 . I'm 54 and male. I hope I don't come across as angry:):):).
Sounds like a great project you're undertaking.
The only thing I can offer at the moment is a case that is easily carriable, old man practicality I fear:banghead::banghead:.
Some kind of an easy clip on system or belt maybe.
Designs on cases??????? I'm diabetic please do not use this medication unless fully trained to do so.
Good luck and let us now how it goes

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I’m the ‘wrong side’ of fifty :joyful: and can’t understand why older people have been angry towards you, I’m glad it hasn’t put you off canvassing opinion here. I have Type 2 so wouldn’t have a need for a case for insulin but I do have a blood sugar meter and it would be lovely to have a colourful case rather than the plain black one provided. I would love one like the Cath Kidston spotty oil cloth wallets. I hope your project goes well x

bidder1603

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
none- fiction and tuna
Thanks Geoff! thats my main aim at the end of the day :) I will definitely keep everyone up dated
Sounds interesting. I hope we get to see some of your ideas. I'm sure they'll be better than my current black 'bag of tricks'.
Geoff

Reactions: ickihun

bidder1603

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
none- fiction and tuna
Hi @bidder1603 . I'm 54 and male. I hope I don't come across as angry:):):).
Sounds like a great project you're undertaking.
The only thing I can offer at the moment is a case that is easily carriable, old man practicality I fear:banghead::banghead:.
Some kind of an easy clip on system or belt maybe.
Designs on cases??????? I'm diabetic please do not use this medication unless fully trained to do so.
Good luck and let us now how it goes
Aw you dont come across as angry at all! which makes me feel better haha :) thanks a lot, yes of course thats one of the main must haves. I have thought about that too, I have had some suggesting for creating a handle too so I will definitely work with these ideas :)

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm in my 70th year, but not angry, and I love colour in my life.

I have a question that may be silly, but is the fact manufacturers meter cases are all black because, like cameras, they have to keep light out and a steady temperature as far as possible when not in use? I could be very wrong of course, but that is a thought I had.

I wish you luck with your project. :)

bidder1603

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
none- fiction and tuna
I’m the ‘wrong side’ of fifty :joyful: and can’t understand why older people have been angry towards you, I’m glad it hasn’t put you off canvassing opinion here. I have Type 2 so wouldn’t have a need for a case for insulin but I do have a blood sugar meter and it would be lovely to have a colourful case rather than the plain black one provided. I would love one like the Cath Kidston spotty oil cloth wallets. I hope your project goes well x

Yeah I had a lot of people say that it was a dumb idea and that "the world doesn't need another handbag designer" :( ah yeah, thats basically what I want to create, nothing too complicated just something simple yet attractive! Ooooo yes I love Cath Kidston thats a great idea! thanks :) x

Reactions: Rachox

bidder1603

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
none- fiction and tuna

I have a question that may be silly, but is the fact manufacturers meter cases are all black because, like cameras, they have to keep light out and a steady temperature as far as possible when not in use? I could be very wrong of course, but that is a thought I had.

Thats a great thought I didn't even think to consider this! I will definitely look into this more, I been using a flimsy case from a drugstore for the past 5 years so hopefully I haven't done any damage to my meter! haha. but thanks this will be great research for me :)

Reactions: Bluetit1802

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi and welcome @bidder1603 ! Really interested to read about your project!

In my years of living with type 1 I have used meter manufacturers' own cases, pencil cases from Woolworths, a clever insulated rigid case, two different large leather cases, holey pockets, capacious handbags, rucksacks, pockets belonging to mum/dad/brother/mate/husband, the back seat, door pockets, cup holders and/or glove compartments of various cars.................. and only relatively recently have I found the best case for me SO FAR! And it's practical, but not attractive.

So there is room out there for something GORGEOUS by Georgina in the design stakes - go for it!

Love Snapsy
:)

PS On the cusp of 43, so nearing geriatric.... ;) xxx

Fleegle

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hey guys!

I'm currently a third year student studying Fashion Promotion and I have had Diabetes for the past 19 years! I've decided this year to focus my projects around my life and my diabetes. For one of my projects I have to create a brand so I've decided to base it around designing cool, original cases for diabetics! These will be to hold either testing kits or injection pens... or both.. I'm aiming these at young people with Diabetes and was hoping to get some peoples opinions :) This is all hypothetical and I wont actually be making a fully working product but I will be drawing and painting some print designs for the cases :)

I posted about this on a different diabetes site and received some angry comments from old men and women so decided maybe this was a better place to come :facepalm::p

Leave me some comments!

Georgina

If you could help Libre design something that didn't look like a lump of grey plastic stuck to the side of your arm you would do the world a massive favour :)

Reactions: bidder1603

bidder1603

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
none- fiction and tuna
Hi and welcome @bidder1603 ! Really interested to read about your project!

In my years of living with type 1 I have used meter manufacturers' own cases, pencil cases from Woolworths, a clever insulated rigid case, two different large leather cases, holey pockets, capacious handbags, rucksacks, pockets belonging to mum/dad/brother/mate/husband, the back seat, door pockets, cup holders and/or glove compartments of various cars.................. and only relatively recently have I found the best case for me SO FAR! And it's practical, but not attractive.

So there is room out there for something GORGEOUS by Georgina in the design stakes - go for it!

Love Snapsy
:)

PS On the cusp of 43, so nearing geriatric.... ;) xxx

Your post has made me laugh out loud as it’s so relatable! But gosh you’ve tried a lot of different products and cases clearly haha, I will try my best to meet your needs :)

Thanks for the boost of confidence!

Reactions: ickihun

bidder1603

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
none- fiction and tuna
If you could help Libre design something that didn't look like a lump of grey plastic stuck to the side of your arm you would do the world a massive favour :)

Ooo wow that could be a challenge but maybe if the cases work out that will be my next step!

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies

Black absorbs heat. I believe.
White reflects heat.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I too currently use a pretty make up bag for medical meds. Still stuck with black meter case thou.

Maybe a custom made pretty or handsome container/bag with internal loops for pens, meters and lancet applicators, also a needle pouchlike compartment. Maybe a sterile one for unused ones and a hard yellow or red sharps box/section. Enough for say 10-15 needles combined?

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
I can, at times, be very old and very angry but I think this is such a cool idea. I'd love a case that matches my make-up bag which has a tapestry pattern based on the mediaeval unicorn. My granddaughters just adore unicorns. Good luck with your project.

fletchweb

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
Hey guys!

Leave me some comments!

Georgina
I currently use a small backpack to carry my insulin pens, swabs and testing stuff. I also use the same thing when I go on my wilderness canoe expeditions (tied on to the canoe in the event of a tip over) The carrying cases that came with one of my pens and Glucometer - I find not to be all that practical. So I would be curious to see what you come up with. Have a good year in Fashion Promotion!

katmcd

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Not a pretty design idea but something that attaches your things to the case/container would be really useful, at least for me. Not just a loop holding it in place like in the BG pouches but if you imagine a cord and loop to stop things falling on the floor. I've just been on holiday, balancing my BG meter and finger picker and pens usually resulted in something falling to the floor when the case was opened because they are so slippy!
A mesh elasticated holder on the outside would be great for those who use Frio holders too. And I love the Cath Kidston polka dot type idea.

Reactions: Rachox

mytype1.life

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Sounds like a great project idea, go for it!! I've done plenty of googling to find something to make my Meter or insulin pump or libre a bit more pretty and less medical looking and although there are some options there isn't a huge amount.

Best of luck