"Baker's Life 85% lower carb bread" in Aldi (Australia)

uart

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
Has anyone else tried this bread? I'm not sure when they started stocking it, as I don't usually even look at the bread aisle, but I've been buying it for the past few weeks and it's been great. :)

Only 5.4g carb per 100 grams, and quite high in protein and fibre. It totally has the texture of real bread, and tastes delicious.

Nutrient breakdown per 100g
Protein: 25.6g
Fat: 13.9g
Carb: 5.4g
Fibre: 11.6g

D

Deleted member 308541

I will be definitely having a closer look down the bread ailse next time in one our three Aldi stores in Bundaberg.

Thanks for the heads up @uart.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi,

Do you know how many g carbs per slice?

:)

D

Deleted member 308541

Yep that's it Tipetoo. :)

It's quite a dense seed type bread, and very filling, but it's still got that lovely real bread texture and taste.

About 46g per slice, which comes to just under 2.5g of carbs/slice. :)

We will be picking up a few loaves to try next shopping day.
Looks a good option but not in UK?
@uart did say it's Aldi in Australia.

uart

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
Looks a good option but not in UK?
Yeah but we've been jealous for ages of the Lidi low carb rolls that you guys can get Rob. :) This is the first genuine low carb bread I've found in any supermarket here, so I'm pretty excited.

Just a heads up for anyone buying this, be careful because they have a really similar looking product that is only "25% lower carb" and the packaging looks pretty similar (at a glance). That one is ok, but basically just the same carbs as any typical dense seed or soy and linseed type bread. I got fooled once and bought the wrong one.

Also I found some discussion of this product at reddit (not a site I use but it just came up on google), and it seems that it may have been initially trialed just in NSW and Canberra stores. Hopefully it's now in Queensland stores as well, let us know if you find it ok Tipetoo. https://www.reddit.com/r/ketoaustra..._can_we_talk_about_aldi_bakers_life_low_carb/

I also learnt from reading that reddit thread that this Aldi bread may be the same thing as "Herman Brot" low carb bread https://hermanbrot.com.au/herman-direct/ The weights are identical, the number of slices are identical, and both the ingredient list and the macro nutrient breakdown are identical as well. So my guess is that they are probably supplying Aldi.

My local Aldi has sometimes been selling out by the evening when I usually shop, so I haven't always been able to get it every time that I've wanted to. However, when I asked in stored why it wasn't always stocked they told me that they do get deliveries of it every morning. So if I miss out too often I'll just have to get in there earlier. :)

Last edited:

Robkww

Yeah but we've been jealous for ages of the Lidi low carb rolls that you guys can get Rob. :) This is the first genuine low carb bread I've found in any supermarket here, so I'm pretty excited.

Just a heads up for anyone buying this, be careful because they have a really similar looking product that is only "25% lower carb" and the packaging looks pretty similar (at a glance). That one is ok, but basically just the same carbs as any typical dense seed or soy and linseed type bread. I got fooled once and bought the wrong one.

Also I found some discussion of this product at reddit (not a site I use but it just came up on google), and it seems that it may have been initially trialed just in NSW and Canberra stores. Hopefully it's now in Queensland stores as well, let us know if you find it ok Tipetoo. https://www.reddit.com/r/ketoaustra..._can_we_talk_about_aldi_bakers_life_low_carb/

I also learnt from reading that reddit thread that this Aldi bread may be the same thing as "Herman Brot" low carb bread https://hermanbrot.com.au/herman-direct/ The weights are identical, the number of slices are identical, and both the ingredient list and the macro nutrient breakdown are identical as well. So my guess is that they are probably supplying Aldi.

My local Aldi has sometimes been selling out by the evening when I usually shop, so I haven't always been able to get it every time that I've wanted to. However, when I asked in stored why it wasn't always stocked they told me that they do get deliveries of it every morning. So if I miss out too often I'll just have to get in there earlier. :)

Thanks for the heads up @uart - enjoy it!

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi @uart
Have you tried asking staff to put some away for you ? It works in lidl in the UK
CAROL

Grateful

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Has anyone else tried this bread?

That looks very promising -- too bad it doesn't seem to be available here in the USA.

For what it's worth, there has been some controversy over the labeling of breads as "low carb" and the accuracy of the information in the labels. It is summarized here: https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/recipes/bread (after opening the link, scroll down to the title, "Buying Low-Carb Bread").

Fortunately the Aldi bread you mention looks like it is "the real deal." Thank you for letting us know.

D

Deleted member 308541

. Hopefully it's now in Queensland stores as well, let us know if you find it ok Tipetoo.
Will find out the first opportunity we get to into one of the Aldi shops here in Bundy.

We will try and get in early just after they open at 8:30am.

Looking forwards to having Vegimite on toast again. :D

uart

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
That looks very promising -- too bad it doesn't seem to be available here in the USA.

For what it's worth, there has been some controversy over the labeling of breads as "low carb" and the accuracy of the information in the labels. It is summarized here: https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/recipes/bread (after opening the link, scroll down to the title, "Buying Low-Carb Bread").

Fortunately the Aldi bread you mention looks like it is "the real deal." Thank you for letting us know.

Interesting reading, thanks. :)

Yes this bread seems the real deal as it doesn't spike my BGL. The one time I accidently bought the "25% lower carb"stuff by mistake I didn't even notice any difference at first. The taste and texture seemed very similar, but it raised my BGL at lot more. Actually that was how I first noticed that I'd bought the wrong one, unexpectedly raised BGL. I checked the pack and thought that they must have changed the recipe on me, but when I went back into the store next time I noticed that there were actually two different products.

It does have one of the "issues" mentioned in that link though, it uses wheat protein (aka gluten) to get the chewy bread texture. So no good if you are gluten intolerant. I'm ok with that though, and it's not at all like a sponge, it's just the normal slightly chewy bread texture that I like. :)

Here is a photo of the ingredient list and nutrient panel from the pack that I just snapped. Hopefully it's readable enough.
qYJMQPw2UE-JQ0R7gXipKxzNtFKoBQ01XzsNQTktIZ86RMG0YsRmYOxVn4wyLCTt9YCM-Vb1kqlWfC1bFBBE6AO4a6m16V6y5jjHc0U9wXd0Xsuwpesg4caHJerXzaMVsd87D8x2cBnSc4PQqwKVrarpUC8Lpi-K8w9GaTHxLQWNA_p1IpTbAeDkRx4POczu_naZTonLkAUfrMNRc7E_VDZ53-J-6o65ei-P44oJboqUBJcJhqO9tEyanoCVLafnXwzCMZ4hKBMAY6M2E_irN55o2Z8X9zewMXx-QZUUyBBdqkjJ0_Fd30VTxzur7mqb-AEjRu1HKVfa8VNbiV41nYPmS38HhFRk875_Cjd6-iyzyoBFXB6-YKswdDiOCJ5kJXZXrb6PHIW9ytCkzk7cgwisuN_XU6a3Cu1I9cVXXR4Z-dcwx_8BJbsv-OPm9qde4Nlw7BoVRcJZ6tLOU9GaMVC0Tz74h97ahijgxt1QR0oLRnp-y5wEfpDjmC9sA698n7hwVTT64mVd-OvuTERJg3vzwgbHXRPyZbOAeqxGOgeB_W7pY39EvU-pWhsVzEihBU-U6IHszKhOBQxdlxZQiIwZV8rnOkN0pt3J5Jjr123jO3lSb0j8bVPnmSqQwXK_paMtqYDwThzgMtseffLmqHniun3J4wgXzNM=w1200-h900-no

D

Deleted member 308541

We had a look around Aldi at Sugarlands yesterday, loads of bread there but no 85% less carb bread.

Asked one of the staff if they had any out the back and was told that they are not stocking it at present.

We will have to keep our eyes open whenever we go in there again.