Type 1 Splitting long acting?

fallongerie

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I usually take 12 units of tresiba on the evening but a few people have suggested splitting the dose. Half in the evening half in the morning.. has anyone done this?

SimonCrox

Trsiba has a vey long duration of action, longer than anything else. Lantus starts to run out at about 20 hours, so is worth splitting the Lantus dose. I would suspect that splitting tresiba adds little, so will see replies with interest.
best wishes

Last edited:

SimonCrox

yes - the degludec tresiba vs lantus DEVOTE trial showed same HbA1cs and weights, but significantly fewer hypos on the Lantus. You have a good doctor if he suggests tresiba cos it is significantly more expensive. The tresiba is human insulin with some side chains added to make it last longer, whereas the Lantus is human insulin with some molecules altered to make it less soluble in the subcutaneous tissues - this slight difference might or might not be relevent in the very long run, but only time will tell.

steve_p6

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I usually take 12 units of tresiba on the evening but a few people have suggested splitting the dose. Half in the evening half in the morning.. has anyone done this?
You should only split Tresiba if you have a good reason to, otherwise leave it at once a day. Personally I split because taking once a day causes me lows early morning (generally 9-12 hrs after taking).

@SimonCrox nhs tariff has Tresiba only 10% more expensive than Levemir

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Tresiba shouldnt really be split.
My body cannot adjust to tresiba as it cannot cope with dawn and waking phenomem at all. I was also having to have insulatard and extra bolus. That made it incerdibly hard to know which insulin was needing adjusting.
I've gone back to Insulatard. Although I need it split to 3 times a day and also 2 extra bolus from 4am onward the results are much better than tresiba or mixed with others.
Trialled everything that hospital suggested for the last year. Now gone back to what I was doing before.... no more treaiba..

Reactions: SimonCrox