Accu chek insight - things I didn't know [emoji51]

Jo1407

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Had a meeting yesterday with Roche rep to look at Insight Tender cannulas. Found out some other important things that I thought other user should know if you don't already - bare in kind we're quite new to the pump

1. Tubing should be changed every time insulin is changed, and not every 6 days as we were initially told. This prevents the pin in the connector from being blunt and causing a larger hole in the next vial of insulin which in turn can cause leakages.

2. A maximum of 5 units of insulin should go through cannula at any one time. So multi wave should be used. This is due to the fact that the teflon isn't as strong as steel needle used in pens.

3. In some instances the cannula might only last two and not three days.

Anyhow. Thought I'd share.

Reactions: Neoncat and himtoo

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
Hi @Jo1407
great tips !!!!
not on insight myself - but all the same some very good things to be aware of.

on point number 2# -- is there an ability to slow the speed of bolus insulin delivery ??

for me a 5u bolus takes approx. 2 minutes to deliver ( on an omnipod)- but I can slow this down to take about 4 minutes to deliver -- thus exerting less pressure on the cannula and allowing the insulin to absorb more slowly.

Chas C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I've been using the Insight for about 1.5 yrs before that the Combo.

From day one on the Insight I was told
to change the flex when I changed the insulin cartridge.
to change the cannula every two or so days but never more than three and also when changing the flex.
I always use multiwave, and yes it can be slowed down.
I was told from day one of pumping (nearly 6 years ago) to never inject more than 5 units of insulin in one go.

Reactions: Medusa41

Jojo1915

Type of diabetes
Type 1

to change the cannula every two or so days but never more than three and also when changing the flex.
I was told from day one of pumping (nearly 6 years ago) to never inject more than 5 units of insulin in one go.
Is the insight easy to use?

Jo1407

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @Jo1407
great tips !!!!
not on insight myself - but all the same some very good things to be aware of.

on point number 2# -- is there an ability to slow the speed of bolus insulin delivery ??

for me a 5u bolus takes approx. 2 minutes to deliver ( on an omnipod)- but I can slow this down to take about 4 minutes to deliver -- thus exerting less pressure on the cannula and allowing the insulin to absorb more slowly.

Hello. Yes you can slow down delivery on the insight.

Reactions: himtoo

Jo1407

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Sounds like you got the right advice from the start. I'm on the ball and always make notes. Not sure why we weren't told all of this from the start.

Reactions: Chas C and himtoo

Neoncat

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Useful information, thanks! I hadn't heard about not doing more than 5 units at a time so that's useful to know. My DSN did mention that the Roche rep she met had said that really every bolus should be a multi wave. I assumed she meant because of the different GI's of food in a meal, and had a silent roll of my eyes at how she thought I was going to work that one out everytime I ate! But perhaps she meant because of the size of the dose and it got lost in translation.

I love my insight pump :)

Chas C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Useful information, thanks! I hadn't heard about not doing more than 5 units at a time so that's useful to know. My DSN did mention that the Roche rep she met had said that really every bolus should be a multi wave. I assumed she meant because of the different GI's of food in a meal, and had a silent roll of my eyes at how she thought I was going to work that one out everytime I ate! But perhaps she meant because of the size of the dose and it got lost in translation.

I love my insight pump :)

I'm pretty sure I first got the 5 unit advice many years ago when on syringes, to not inject more than 5 units in any one place in one go. Pretty sure I never took much notice until I moved to a pump.

Chas C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Is the insight easy to use?

Yes I find it easy, I've also used an Omnipod and that too was quite easy. All pumps are very similar operation and they are made to be easy to use so I would guess from use perspective they are all pretty easy.

My choice was made because there are times when my pump is not accessible (when kayaking - under a dry suit) and I need to be able to manage it remotely, also at other times I like the ability to manage from the pump itself (when at work meetings). So I had two choices the Medtronic or the Insight, I compared the two with my needs and choose the Insight.

Reactions: Picci

Chas C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Useful information, thanks! I hadn't heard about not doing more than 5 units at a time so that's useful to know. My DSN did mention that the Roche rep she met had said that really every bolus should be a multi wave. :)

I always multi wave - varies for the food I'm eating but anything between 20% and 50% (max 5 units) initialling then remainder mostly spread over an hour and 15 mins. Timing does vary depending upon what I'm eating, for a KFC or Curry it can be two hours or more, sometimes even a second dose a few hours later too.

I always try to start at least 30 mins before I eat too, sometimes longer if BG's are over 8 pre meal.

Neoncat

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I always multi wave - varies for the food I'm eating but anything between 20% and 50% (max 5 units) initialling then remainder mostly spread over an hour and 15 mins. Timing does vary depending upon what I'm eating, for a KFC or Curry it can be two hours or more, sometimes even a second dose a few hours later too.

I always try to start at least 30 mins before I eat too, sometimes longer if BG's are over 8 pre meal.
Interesting, I am pretty new to the pump and so far the only things I have tried using the multiwave for are pasta which surprised me with how well it worked. Based on the above I will try using the multiwave more often. I find I have to pre bolus much less than on MDI but I still need at least 30 mins for breakfast.

ElyDave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
that's the first I've hear of changing the tube every 12 days with the insulin. I've been working on a 3-day cycle of cannula-cannula & tubing - cannula - full set and cartridge as advised by Addenbrookes. I did ask about changing the cartridge every 24 days as I'm usually still half full (only use 6-8 U a day) but they said not a good idea. I was told change the tubing every 6 days to prevent possible crystallisation.

Chas C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
that's the first I've hear of changing the tube every 12 days with the insulin. I've been working on a 3-day cycle of cannula-cannula & tubing - cannula - full set and cartridge as advised by Addenbrookes. I did ask about changing the cartridge every 24 days as I'm usually still half full (only use 6-8 U a day) but they said not a good idea. I was told change the tubing every 6 days to prevent possible crystallisation.

I think it a personal thing - for me an Insight cartridge only lasts 3-4 days so its fine for one set tubing and two cannulas. Your doses are very small so would expect you need to change every 6 days (I used to do every 4-5 days on the combo).