Gaining weight

danielrob91

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi I’m T1. I’ve had it just under a year and I’m just getting a hold of it. I lost a lot of weight and I want to put loads back on and start training again. I’m finding it hard to find a diet plan that will suit this. HELP!!

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Is this weight lost pre-diagnosis? What do your blood sugar levels look like now?

danielrob91

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Is this weight lost pre-diagnosis? What do your blood sugar levels look like now?

Yeah I lost weight before I found out. Yeah my levels are good. I’m managing well. I just want to gain size and train again. I didn’t know if there was a diet plan to build muscle and put weight on for T1 to make it easier.

CherryAA

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yeah I lost weight before I found out. Yeah my levels are good. I’m managing well. I just want to gain size and train again. I didn’t know if there was a diet plan to build muscle and put weight on for T1 to make it easier.
I can't advise you on a specific diet for T1 as I've no idea how you manage it, however generally speaking it seems that the frequency of eating is linked to weight gain, so I would expect good proteins eaten often probably figures somewhere n a weight gain plan. Good luck .

Reactions: danielrob91

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
There's no special diet to gain weight for type 1s. If your looking to gain weight, just increase calories. Continuing to carb count and adjust your insulin to take account of what you are eating. If your looking to gain muscle, I believe protein is advised.

I'd have a look at this site - https://diabeticmuscleandfitness.com/how-to-build-muscle-with-diabetes/ - I've seen pretty positive reviews for his book.

Gaining mass for a type 1 will require the same as for anyone else + managing insulin for any change in diet or activity to keep blood sugar in range.

Reactions: danielrob91