Brown Rice Syrup good or bad?

VsUK

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Smoking, drugs & Ballet
Hi, I have been playing with baking & ways to enjoy treats with little effect on my sugar levels & I have discovered sugar free chocolate using coconut oil, coco powder & vanilla & its nice but it requires the constant refrigeration as it will revert to liquid state if left out too long. I baked a sugar free sponge & coated in this chocolate with chocolate butter icing sugar free & it was nice, just a little runny.

Anyways, I've learned about Brow Rice Syrup that some are 100% free of fructose but contains 3 other sugars: Maltotriose (52%), maltose (45%) and glucose (3%) so I'm wanting to know if this would be a safe alternative to use to make my chocolate as this syrup is very thick & would be great if I could use it for baking.

I'm type 1 by the way, forgot to mention!

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hiya - I went through the same process - trying to find a low GI sugar alternative, I decided for baking to use Stevia a plant based sweetener as didn't want to use an artificial (chemical) based sweetener, this works great for baking and is low carb, for sweetening the odd pancake I opted for Agave Nectar, a low GI alternative, but a sugar based sweetener, regardless.

I am wary of anything ending with ..tose, it generally means sugar which to me is a spike, there are some great blogs around of people cooking without using sugar, normally you can sweeten with things such as dried fruit as well as Stevia and other plant based sweeteners but takes some investigation, unfortunately as with any bake you cant' avoid the carb spike due to the other ingredients, but if it's low gi then the spike isn't so bad ;)

VsUK

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Smoking, drugs & Ballet
Hi, I use stevia also for some baking but sometimes you need something thick & gooey like syrup to make the sugar free chocolate & coconut oil is great as its sugar free but it returns to melted form when it warms up to room temp.

I have grown Stevia plant, difficult but never again. But the leave's are edible & you can simply chop them up & bake them into your stuff for a natural sweetness. Even buying dried Stevia leaves & boil them in some form of bag to stop the leaves breaking down into the water leaving bits or filter out the leaves after & use the water for the baking if water is part of the ingredient because thats all Stevia is, dried leaves boiled & removed. Then add a chemical I can't remember its name that basically removes the water & your left with exactly what you buy for a lot of money in the supermarkets.

Reactions: 3 people

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi, I use stevia also for some baking but sometimes you need something thick & gooey like syrup to make the sugar free chocolate & coconut oil is great as its sugar free but it returns to melted form when it warms up to room temp.

I have grown Stevia plant, difficult but never again. But the leave's are edible & you can simply chop them up & bake them into your stuff for a natural sweetness. Even buying dried Stevia leaves & boil them in some form of bag to stop the leaves breaking down into the water leaving bits or filter out the leaves after & use the water for the baking if water is part of the ingredient because thats all Stevia is, dried leaves boiled & removed. Then add a chemical I can't remember its name that basically removes the water & your left with exactly what you buy for a lot of money in the supermarkets.

Sounds like a business opportunity to me !!

Lilliepop

Hi, I have been playing with baking & ways to enjoy treats with little effect on my sugar levels & I have discovered sugar free chocolate using coconut oil, coco powder & vanilla & its nice but it requires the constant refrigeration as it will revert to liquid state if left out too long. I baked a sugar free sponge & coated in this chocolate with chocolate butter icing sugar free & it was nice, just a little runny.

Anyways, I've learned about Brow Rice Syrup that some are 100% free of fructose but contains 3 other sugars: Maltotriose (52%), maltose (45%) and glucose (3%) so I'm wanting to know if this would be a safe alternative to use to make my chocolate as this syrup is very thick & would be great if I could use it for baking.

I'm type 1 by the way, forgot to mention!
Hi. I bought some of this and wasn't bad to taste. For a few day it was fine but I don't take my blood every day as I'm pre diabetic but when I did it high 9.4 two hours after having in my tea couldn't believe it I didn't have anything to eat so waited another hour and it went up to 10 so throw it into the bin £12 down the drain.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm thinking, off the top of my head, anything else being in syrup is not diabetic friendly at least for me

maria030660

Dislikes
backstabbers, brocoli and dirt toilets...uggghhhh
Anything that ends with 'ose' should be avoided as it is some form of carb that changes into glucose in your body. Just check the amounts of carb in 100 ml and that will give you the information you need. But the word 'syrup' should already ring a bell.

Reactions: Dodo