Understanding HDL levels.

Kingmob

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Appreciate this seems like a question without a clear answer but trying to make sense of my cholesterol levels at time of diagnosis in preparation for a visit to nurse later this week. Was given total, ldl and hdl levels at time of diagnosis which I've provided to the calculator here: http://www.hughcalc.org/chol-si.php which I've seen a few people recommend.

What I'm trying to understand is HDL being shown as high risk. My understanding is that >1.5 is good and <1.0 is risk/bad.

Also confused when comparing the calculator output with the desmond "resources for you" booklet which suggests what seems like the opposite for total and LDL values. For total <3 is good between 5 and 8 is risk/bad and for LDL <2 is good and risk starts around 2.75.

Not stressing, waiting to find out recent results and trying to properly understand results.

Your Total Cholesterol of 5.1 is DESIRABLE
Your LDL of 3.26 is NEAR OPTIMAL
Your HDL of 1.3 is HIGH RISK
Your Triglyceride level of 1.17 is NORMAL

RATIOS:
Your Total Cholesterol/HDL ratio is: 3.92 - (preferably under 5.0, ideally under 3.5) GOOD
Your HDL/LDL ratio is: 0.399 - (preferably over 0.3, ideally over 0.4) GOOD
Your triglycerides/HDL ratio is: 0.900 - (preferably under 1.74, ideally under 0.87) NORMAL

Lazybones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Someone with a better knowledge than myself on Cholestrol will probably be able to answer you question better than I can, but as I understand it, Cholestrol levels (which most generall mention in passing) will be the TOTAL Cholestrol level within the blood stream and will consist of the Good Cholestrol component (HDL) and also the BAD and undesirable Cholestrol component (LDL) and also the (VLDL) components.
Most poeople refer to getting their Cholesterol low, but what they should consider as being most important is the RATIO between the HDL and the LDL components. In other words it's no benifit having a LOW Cholestrol if the LDL componenent part forms the main component and at it's better to always have a High (HDL) component as this component part of Cholestrol is actually benificial to us diabetics whatever type diabetes that we have.

Ann1982

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
HDL is healthy cholesterol LDL is lethal cholesterol which is what my DN told me and I stick by that it is easy to remember. My HDL is 2.18, my LDL is 1.4 and triglycerides 1.1. I have improved to these levels but apparently my overall cholesterol @ 4.1 is still slightly high!

Dark Horse

Reactions: Bluetit1802

Leeannea

Type of diabetes
LADA
Hi. For a complete explanation about the different types of cholesterol and their significance, google "Sikaris cholesterol videos"

Kingmob

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks all, just watched the "when to worry" video and going to catch up on the rest.