What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
May give it another go. But maybe not after work - kitchen was a disaster zone.

Also wondering whether I’d get the same effect by just frying sliced courgette and onion and then topping with cheese and baking - a lot simpler!
I found it was easier with grated courgette - it bound together easier. First time I used the spiralised stuff and it was difficult to bind.

Reactions: Chook

annscullamus

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Breakfast - Overnight 'oats' with hemp seeds chia seeds and almond milk and bit of erythritol.

Lunch - salad nuts and slice of roast pork

Dinner - naturally smoked haddock in Keto cheese sauce cauliflower and broccoli followed by small piece of 85% choc and coffee

Snacks

Wensleydale with cranberries - slice
Graze Raspberry Clusters and Boabab

Still at 7.1 tonight so hurrah - back in control again !

https://tamingtype2.blogspot.co.uk/

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
@Goonergal Same here!

Mostly I go for simple stuff - I just can't be bothered trashing the kitchen just for when I'm eating alone.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Monday...

Breakfast and lunch: Nothing

Dinner: Sunday leftovers - roast lamb, a couple of bits of roast parsnip, runner beans, carrots, cauliflower cheese, brussels sprouts, gravy, few broad beans

Drinks: black decaff coffee from breakfast until lunch then sparkling mineral water - except for a small glass of leftover from the weekend red wine with dinner.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My sister and her hubby had hotel/restaurants when they worked to I learnt to cook in all stations in a restaurant hence why I find cooking for large numbers straightforward. Thing is in restaurants there are the commies - took me years to train hubby as a commie so he does most of the prep and cleans up behind me. I trained son to do the same as well as how to cook. Son is quite adventurous.
The thing I enjoy is fiddling about with recipes.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Still adjusting after bigger/later dinner on Sunday. Bed 6.5 FBG 7.1 and DP turned at 7.7. Libre still just out by 0.2 which is great. The fast continues although I've just had a couple of squares of Lindt 90%.
B. Nothing
L. Tassimo Americano grande with a dash of cream and 2 squares Lindt 90 %
D. 2 or 3 air fried chicken thighs with cheese and chive dip and a few bits roast parsnip. Last of the Chia Pudding with 6 raspberries.
Need to review fridge status as I don't want to buy too much.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all.

Fasting day today. And just as well I’d planned it that way as despite arriving at work at 7.30am, there was no chance for a break until 2.30pm. Just went for a 20 minute walk between meetings.

No breakfast or lunch.

Dinner - pan fried sea bass fillet with sautéed courgette, broccoli and onion; raspberries and cream.

mo53

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello
B. Raspberries and cream

55 minutes swimming. First time in about 6 weeks!

L. Bacon, egg, sausage, mushroom and half a tomato.

D. Chicken thighs with salad. Strawberries and cream.

heh

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Tea
Milky coffee
B: Bacon butty on Tesco sunflower & pumpkin seed bread
L: Broccoli & stilton soup, salami, mixed berries & Light & Free yogurt
T: Roast pork leftover from Sunday dinner, new potatoes, sprouts & carrots, gravy. Coffee.
Tea & water throughout the day.

JenniferG

For lunch today I had Indian Chicken Curry over Riced Cauliflower -- a favorite here at home.
(Click link to see my recipe.)

17473d1507668567-indian-chicken-curry-over-riced-cauliflower-dsc_2361-jpg

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Tuesday ...

Breakfast: Two double espressos with cream and xylitol. Half a low-carb roll with butter.

Lunch: Nothing.

Snack: Three squares of 85% chocolate.

Dinner: Leftover prawns with Swiss chard, mash of celeriac and carrot.

Late-night meal: Homemade low-carb flat bread with mayonnaise, cheese and avocado, a glass of red wine.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Wednesday...

Breakfast and lunch: Nothing

Dinner: M&S 'Flattie' (marinated chicken), Lidl protein roll, sour cream dip, green salad

Drinks: Black decaff coffee up until lunch time then sparkling mineral water until bed

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Care sharing your homemade flat bread? Looking for a good recipe :)

Hi @JenniferG,

Thanks for your note. Here's my recipe -- if you decide to try it, let me know how it goes.

I played around with the the keto-bread recipe from dietdoctor.com. It is quick, works everytime, and very flexible. Here's the link https://www.dietdoctor.com/recipes/the-keto-bread. Looking at the recipe again, however, I see that they have changed units. Before the units were in quarter cups rather than weighing the ingredients, which made it faster to measure everything. It takes me about 10 to 15 minutes to prepare the dough, plus extra time for rolling the dough out and baking it.

Low Carb Rolls

Five ¼ cups of low-carb flour, dietdoctor uses almond flour, which is absolutely fine. However, I like to reduce the carb content a bit further, so below is the combination I use, which, by the way, makes it also a bit cheaper:
- ½ cup almond flour
- ½ cup lupin flour
- ¼ cup golden linseed flour

¼ cup psyllium husks + 1 tsp psyllium husks
1 package cream of tartar baking powder
1 tsp salt

Spices:
1 tsp ground ground caraway seeds
1 tsp coriander seeds
1 tsp black onion seeds

Seeds to taste, for example:
- chia seeds
- sesame seeds
- linseeds
- pumpkin seeds

2 to 3 cups of boiling hot water

Dietdoctor also includes egg whites, however I found you don't need them.

Directions:
- Mix all the dry ingredients.
- Boil water
- Pour the hot water in the flour mix, add enough water to give it a regular doughy bread mixture. For rolls, the dough should be slightly wetter (if it is too dry, it won't rise well), for flat bread a bit drier.
- Blend with spatula
- take some of the dough and form a small ball, flatten it a bit, dunk in some low-carb flour (so it won't stick when rolling it out)
- use a rolling pin and parchment paper and flatten it. Turning it often, so it doesn't stick and dusting it with low-carb flour whenever it becomes too sticky.
- Since the psyllium husk makes the dough quite elastic, you can roll it to thinness of wraps, or leave it slightly less thin to use as a pizza base for example.
- Bake in a pan or in the oven. (For really thin wraps, the pan works better; for slightly thicker bread, it will take approx. half an hour in the oven, rolls would take about one and a half hours in the oven).

Reactions: heh

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi @JenniferG,

Thanks for your note. Here's my recipe -- if you decide to try it, let me know how it goes.

I played around with the the keto-bread recipe from dietdoctor.com. It is quick, works everytime, and very flexible. Here's the link https://www.dietdoctor.com/recipes/the-keto-bread. Looking at the recipe again, however, I see that they have changed units. Before the units were in quarter cups

All you have to do @ziggy_w is change the measurement to US. If you are getting it in g then it must be on the metric measurements. I often switch between the 2 so I know it's there.

Reactions: ziggy_w

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Hi @JenniferG,

I played around with the the keto-bread recipe from dietdoctor.com. It is quick, works everytime, and very flexible. Here's the link https://www.dietdoctor.com/recipes/the-keto-bread. Looking at the recipe again, however, I see that they have changed units. Before the units were in quarter cups rather than weighing the ingredients, which made it faster to measure everything. It takes me about 10 to 15 minutes to prepare the dough, plus extra time for rolling the dough out and baking it.

Low Carb Rolls

Five ¼ cups of low-carb flour, dietdoctor uses almond flour, which is absolutely fine. However, I like to reduce the carb content a bit further, so below is the combination I use, which, by the way, makes it also a bit cheaper:
- ½ cup almond flour
- ½ cup lupin flour
- ¼ cup golden linseed flour

¼ cup psyllium husks + 1 tsp psyllium husks
1 package cream of tartar baking powder
1 tsp salt

Spices:
1 tsp ground ground caraway seeds
1 tsp coriander seeds
1 tsp black onion seeds

Seeds to taste, for example:
- chia seeds
- sesame seeds
- linseeds
- pumpkin seeds

2 to 3 cups of boiling hot water

Dietdoctor also includes egg whites, however I found you don't need them.

Directions:
- Mix all the dry ingredients.
- Boil water
- Pour the hot water in the flour mix, add enough water to give it a regular doughy bread mixture. For rolls, the dough should be slightly wetter (if it is too dry, it won't rise well), for flat bread a bit drier.
- Blend with spatula
- take some of the dough and form a small ball, flatten it a bit, dunk in some low-carb flour (so it won't stick when rolling it out)
- use a rolling pin and parchment paper and flatten it. Turning it often, so it doesn't stick and dusting it with low-carb flour whenever it becomes too sticky.
- Since the psyllium husk makes the dough quite elastic, you can roll it to thinness of wraps, or leave it slightly less thin to use as a pizza base for example.
- Bake in a pan or in the oven. (For really thin wraps, the pan works better; for slightly thicker bread, it will take approx. half an hour in the oven, rolls would take about one and a half hours in the oven).

Lupin flour? I've not heard of that before but just just looked on eBay and can only find it from Germany and the postage costs are horrendous what sort of flavour / texture does it add to the bread? (I'm just trying to work out whether it's worth the cost). :)

Reactions: ziggy_w and mo53

mo53

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello
B. Blackberries with cream.

1 full hour of swimming

L. Camambert , walnuts and a little lettuce.

D. Chicken thighs with Greek salad. Strawberries and cream.

Yes I think it will be a pomegranate pot this evening! :)