New job

janeliz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Shopping, smoking
I have just got a job for 11hours in a local large supermarket. At induction last week I learned that I was to go into he bakery. Three shifts of 4hours, 6am to 10 am. I usually have breakfast at 8am but will have to have it at 5am. I take Lantus 8am and 8pm and Novarapid with meals. Is this going to upset the routine?
I was also told nothing to be taken onto working areas because of the risk of it ending up in the bread/cakes. I asked about taking my blood glucose meter and hypo kit and they didn't know. Not sure if they will allow me to test or leave the area to test. What would people do? Or is 11and quarter hours not worth the hassle. I am not a youngster, almost 60yrs with type 3c diabetes. Lost my last job because of it.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hey @janeliz Firstly well done on getting the job :)

Your employer has to offer you reasonable adjustments to do your work, which should include breaks to test, however it is essential to keep your BG meter and hypo kit with you at all times so you need to speak to your companies HR dept to find out what allowances can be made to ensure you have access to your kit at all times and that breaks are available to you. It would be good to get a plan in place so that you feel comfortable to perform the work required without it affecting your diabetes management. Discrimination only happens because an employer doesn't understand what type 1 is about so developing a plan with them will allow you confidence that you can get on with the job in hand.

This is a useful pack to read through on diabetes and the workplace to understand your rights: https://www.diabetes.org.uk/resources-s3/2017-09/Advocacy pack_EmploymentV3-Jan2016_0.pdf

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
A "reasonable adjustments" may be to work in a different area of the supermarket. I expect they would not find it hard to swop you with someone that has been put elsewhere.

janeliz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Shopping, smoking
Hey @janeliz Firstly well done on getting the job :)

Your employer has to offer you reasonable adjustments to do your work, which should include breaks to test, however it is essential to keep your BG meter and hypo kit with you at all times so you need to speak to your companies HR dept to find out what allowances can be made to ensure you have access to your kit at all times and that breaks are available to you. It would be good to get a plan in place so that you feel comfortable to perform the work required without it affecting your diabetes management. Discrimination only happens because an employer doesn't understand what type 1 is about so developing a plan with them will allow you confidence that you can get on with the job in hand.

This is a useful pack to read through on diabetes and the workplace to understand your rights: https://www.diabetes.org.uk/resources-s3/2017-09/Advocacy pack_EmploymentV3-Jan2016_0.pdf

Thank you for the link. Think I am more concerned about changing meal times and insulin times and getting out of routine, then upsetting my bg's.