Type 1 in ketosis and not losing the body fat

Lord Midas

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Idiots. Morons. Flat Earthers. Religious fanatics. Trump. Bigots. Misogynists. And other assorted bad types.
I've read the science, and the anecdotal tails. Ketosis burns the fat. But insulin counters the burn and stores fat.
Being T1 I have to inject insulin, and I feel it's canceling out me being in ketosis. Its maddening.

Being in ketosis has had other benefits, like lowered amount of insulin are required, skin issues have cleared up, etc. which is nice.

Any other T1s who are in nutritional ketosis and actually burning the fat? It's just not happening for me.

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Being in ketosis doesn't mean you are burning body fat, it means you are burning fat. That could be your body fat, or it could be fat you are eating - the fat you are eating will be the first option because that's still the most accessible source of energy.

If you are looking to loose weight from ketosis you would probably also need to keep an eye on how many calories you are taking in. If you're taking in too many calories in fat, you aren't going to loose weight.

Reactions: Lord Midas

AlexJD

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I agree with catapillar. I would also add that fat is much more calories-dense than carbs (for example) and so you'll need much less fat to reach your recommended daily caloric intake, so it's unfortunately easy to over-eat on fat!

Last edited:

Lord Midas

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Idiots. Morons. Flat Earthers. Religious fanatics. Trump. Bigots. Misogynists. And other assorted bad types.
Thanks y'all. After listening to Dr Jason Fung, and others, he explains why calories don't matter. Interesting that both sides of the calories argument is quite convincing.

JamesPo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I find this so should I use less fat consumption so my body starts eating my body fat as I get readings of 1.2 ketones and my sugars are in a good range but no fat coming off ????