kjc2011

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Exercising lol
Hi guys
I haven't been on here or posted for such a long time. I have recently had a fall at work and broken my tibia bone in my leg near my knee and also broken my hand in 2 places. I was just wondering if anyone has suffered any broken bones and has diabetes in any way prolonged your recovery? Just looking for some advice or guidance as to how being diabetic has affected or can affect your recovery, or how the injury may affect my diabetes.
Thanks everyone x

miszu

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I havent had a broken bone since having diabetes, but hope ur recovery ll go smooth. Best wishes ! X

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
So sorry to read about your fall and your broken bones. I had a fall from a height 3/4 years ago and smashed up my wrist. I was very unlucky as complications set in ( CRPS)( first time I had ever had broken bones) I had months of hand therapy at the hospital, also the help and support from members on the forum was amazing and it helped me so much,
Sending you get well wishes for a speedy and a healthy recovery, take care X
3aacacae81e381e0f693585f782e5d7f.gif

Ann1982

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
About 6 years ago I fell down my mums stairs and landed on her stairlift. Needless to say I ended up in hospital. I had broken ribs (lovely bruises) dislocated a finger, (ouch) and cracked my collar bone. It was fun. The breaks healed in about 8 weeks which is about normal for most people non diabetics anyway so I think I was lucky. The worst problem was the painkillers. The cocodamol tends to make one constipated and believe me that is no fun with broken ribs! I hope you feel better soon. There is light at the end of the tunnel and it isn’t a “freight train headed your way”!

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I did a Madonna 3 years ago down my garden steps and broke my ankle in 2 places - I also crashed backwards into the patio door so injured my shoulders, neck and back (they said they don't know how I didn't break my neck!) I was no load bearing for 3 weeks and because of my other injures couldn't use crutches so spent the first 3 weeks on the sofa only moving to throw myself onto a commode lol

I healed fairly quickly and don't think it took any longer than someone without diabetes - I did have good control throughput though - not sure if that was really good management or I just couldn't get near any food to comfort eat lol - hubby was really good with my food

kjc2011

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Exercising lol
yeah i've been unable to use crutches due to my hand and i also suffer with angina so hopping with the frame they gave me is agony with constant chest pains.
Luckily my nana used a wheelchair which she no longer uses as now house bound, so able to push myself round in that. It's been a godsend and given me some independence and no longer need help 24/7 as it was hard as i live alone and my mum's the full time carer of my nan and my sister has her children to look after and my dad is unwell.
Was just wondering if anyone with diabetes has taken longer to heal or the affect the trauma has on bloods. My bloods are higher than norm pos due to not being active and unable to exercise properly.
Thank you for your replies everyone, I really appreciate your input and sharing your experiences.

KathyCP

Type of diabetes
Type 2
i broke my arm a couple of years ago, about six months after i was diagnosed with an hba1c of 104. i was on 500mg metformin twice a day, and i remember they tested my bg levels in a&e - it was early evening, i hadn't eaten in a while, and they were just above 7, which everyone thought was ok. i was still eating a high carb low fat diet at the time, but the break didn't seem to affect my bg levels, in that they reduced steadily over the period my arm was healing, and it took 7-8 weeks to heal, which is pretty normal for anyone as far as i know. so i don't think the break had any major impact on my diabetes, or vice versa.