What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all.

Another fasting day today. Was playing it by ear as at a conference all day. My hopes went up when I saw hot food rather than sandwiches - perhaps a piece of meat or fish with veggies? But no, a veritable carb fest so off for a walk in St James’s Park and a Diet Coke instead.

No breakfast or lunch.

Dinner was a small lamb chop found languishing at the bottom of the freezer, 2 Waitrose free range Cumberland sausages with buttered broccoli and cauliflower; raspberries and cream.

hca

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hello

B -nothing
L- 1 hard boiled egg, a piece of mature cheddar, 1/2 protein roll and pkt pork scratchings
D- dd chicken fajita with a green salad. Carb eaters also had a small baked potato. Have to say the chicken dish was delicious.
Snack - small handful salted nuts, so far resisting the urge to eat whole pkt. I can do this.- lol

Have a lovely evening all and on a different note granddaughter finally has a name. Emmy Rose. X

KetoWolfLady

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Breakfast - 3 lidl gluten-free linolnshire sausages, 1 egg, few tiny cherry tomatoes, couple small slices of some keto bread I made out of flaxmeal which came out like heavy pumpernickel but tastes quite nice fried til crispy in butter!

Lunch - Sardine salad, coconut flour pumpkin cupcake (was proud that I made up the frosting for them on the spur of the moment out of melted creamed coconut block, coconut cream, lemon juice and sweetener - it's kind of like a cream cheese frosting only coconutty!)

Haven't had anything else since I'm not really hungry. Was going to make a corned beef hash with celeriac instead of potato but it's getting a bit late in the day now. Might just have another couple of slices of the flax "pumpenickel" toasted with a bit of pate on instead.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi all.

Another fasting day today. Was playing it by ear as at a conference all day. My hopes went up when I saw hot food rather than sandwiches - perhaps a piece of meat or fish with veggies? But no, a veritable carb fest so off for a walk in St James’s Park and a Diet Coke instead.

No breakfast or lunch.

Dinner was a small lamb chop found languishing at the bottom of the freezer, 2 Waitrose free range Cumberland sausages with buttered broccoli and cauliflower; raspberries and cream.
Lord I read that as cucumber sausages

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello

B -nothing
L- 1 hard boiled egg, a piece of mature cheddar, 1/2 protein roll and pkt pork scratchings
D- dd chicken fajita with a green salad. Carb eaters also had a small baked potato. Have to say the chicken dish was delicious.
Snack - small handful salted nuts, so far resisting the urge to eat whole pkt. I can do this.- lol

Have a lovely evening all and on a different note granddaughter finally has a name. Emmy Rose. X
Lovely name

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Rotten night with aches and sweats but BGs improving again. Bed 5.6 FBG 5.8 and DP descended at 7.3 which was not bad. Had another 'wave' later though where it swept up to 8.2 before heading downwards and no reason for it.
B. Nothing
L. Nothing just water and a black tea
D. A delight of fishiness (which I couldn't finish)
Poached salmon fillet, calamari with cracked pepper, tablespoon of prawns, fresh anchovies, coleslaw, lettuce, tomatoes, 15g applewood smoked.
Whey hay chocolate ice cream.

Reactions: heh

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Lupin flour? I've not heard of that before but just just looked on eBay and can only find it from Germany and the postage costs are horrendous what sort of flavour / texture does it add to the bread? (I'm just trying to work out whether it's worth the cost). :)

Hi @Chook,

Lupins/lupines are a sort of bean, so I think the flour most similar to this is soy flour. However, lupin flour doesn't have some of the issues associated with soy (such as genetic modification, lack of control over use of pesticides). It has about 2.5g of digestible carbs per 100g.

The website, I use for this is l-carb-shop.de, which has quite reasonable prices for most flours. They do ship to Britain. Maybe if you can combine the order with other great things for low-carbers, it might be worth the cost of shipping. Interesting products include potato fibers (8g of carbs per 100g, which you can combine with zucchini for example to get the taste of potatoes without the carbs) and cocoa fibers (2.5g of carbs per 100g to replace cocoa). Unfortunately, the website is in German, but they also sell their products on amazon.de.

Reactions: KetoWolfLady

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Wednesday ...

Breakfast: Two double decaffeinated espressos with cream and xylitol.

Lunch: Nothing.

Dinner: A cornsalad with Caesar's dressing, parmesan and fried mushrooms. Homemade low-carb flatbreat with steakstrips, onions, bellpepper strips, melted cheese and mayonnaise. Desert: Two small homemade low-carb peanut butter cookies. One glass of red wine.

KetoWolfLady

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Hi @Chook,

Lupins/lupines are a sort of bean, so I think the flour most similar to this is soy flour. However, lupin flour doesn't have some of the issues associated with soy (such as genetic modification, lack of control over use of pesticides). It has about 2.5g of digestible carbs per 100g.

The website, I use for this is l-carb-shop.de, which has quite reasonable prices for most flours. They do ship to Britain. Maybe if you can combine the order with other great things for low-carbers, it might be worth the cost of shipping. Interesting products include potato fibers (8g of carbs per 100g, which you can combine with zucchini for example to get the taste of potatoes without the carbs) and cocoa fibers (2.5g of carbs per 100g to replace cocoa). Unfortunately, the website is in German, but they also sell their products on amazon.de.
I noticed that there's quite a lot of cool low carb stuff on ebay from Germany but as @Chook said postage can be steep - will take a look at the shop you mentioned though and see what goodies they've got and maybe put a bigger order in to make shipping worthwhile. Thanks for the heads-up!

Reactions: ziggy_w

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I noticed that there's quite a lot of cool low carb stuff on ebay from Germany but as @Chook said postage can be steep - will take a look at the shop you mentioned though and see what goodies they've got and maybe put a bigger order in to make shipping worthwhile. Thanks for the heads-up!

If you or @Chook need any help with translating any of the stuff, let me know. I would be very happy to help.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yesterday
B: just a coffeesubstitute
L: smoked mackerel with beef tomato and balsamic vinegar
D: dietdoctor feta/chicken/olive/cream thing, with sugarsnaps, red and yellow peppers and cherry toms
And a few squares 70% choc scattered showers through the day.

Today
L: a gluten free pannini (cheese and ham) and salad in a cafe, followed by (gasp!) a peanut butter hot choc. Obviously far higher carb than ideal, but there was NOTHING low carb on the menu, and since i am wearing a Libre this week I decided to track the consequences - and was utterly stunned to not go above 7mmol/l. But i think that may have been the dog walk to and from the cafe.
D: leftover chicken thing from last night, with avocado slices and some kale. And a lemmon posset.

KetoWolfLady

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Yesterday
L: smoked mackerel with beef tomato and balsamic vinegar
D: dietdoctor feta/chicken/olive/cream thing, with sugarsnaps, red and yellow peppers and cherry toms
And a few squares 70% choc scattered showers through the day.

Today
L: a gluten free pannini (cheese and ham) and salad in a cafe, followed by (gasp!) a peanut butter hot choc. Obviously far higher carb than ideal, but there was NOTHING low carb on the menu, and since i am wearing a Libre this week I decided to track the consequences - and was utterly stunned to not go above 7mmol/l. But i think that may have been the dog walk to and from the cafe.
D: leftover chicken thing from last night, with avocado slices and some kale. And a lemmon posset.
Oooh lemon posset - my brain homed in on this Elizabethan delight - I'm just imagining it! The smoked mackerel with beef tomato sounds delicious too (haven't had beef tomato in ages!) Lemon posset though - I'm going to have to make some of that ASAP!:wacky: Do you mind sharing your recipe?:)

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Oooh lemon posset - my brain homed in on this Elizabethan delight - I'm just imagining it! The smoked mackerel with beef tomato sounds delicious too (haven't had beef tomato in ages!) Lemon posset though - I'm going to have to make some of that ASAP!:wacky: Do you mind sharing your recipe?:)
:D
We bought it on a rare trip to Sainsbury's (and it was far too sweet for my palate now!)
But I do love all that intense lemon flavour, so I may have a look for a recipe myself.
I know there are recipes for LC panna cotta, and LC lemoncurd, so I imagine that a LC lemon posset would be a distinct possiblity.

KetoWolfLady

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
:D
We bought it on a rare trip to Sainsbury's (and it was far too sweet for my palate now!)
But I do love all that intense lemon flavour, so I may have a look for a recipe myself.
I know there are recipes for LC panna cotta, and LC lemoncurd, so I imagine that a LC lemon posset would be a distinct possiblity.
If I remember correctly from seeing it in a very old cookery book somewhere it's not too difficult, and is famous for being the means by which Shakespeare has Lady Macbeth slip some handy poison to the guards in "the Scottish Play" lol - a perfect dish for Halloween then perhaps!:hilarious:

Reactions: ziggy_w

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
You're correct. It's not difficult - just a case of substituting xylitol for the sugar. Only 3 ingredients - cream , sugar , lemons in the original. It was one of these desserts like cranachan that was delicious served with a home made shortbread - wonder if I could work out a good low carb shortbread?
Here's a good YouTube video on it.