First of the low carb processed food deluge

D

Deleted Account

It doesn't look as if it is being marketed as low carb, just gluten free.
Sure, it's probably lower carb than traditional pizza but it contains maize flour, corn starch and potato starch.
And looks anaemic.

I'll stick with the occasional treat of a slice of thin crust pizza.

I guess, this is an option if you want to go very low carb ... and vegan :)

MikeTurin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
“The cauliflower pizza bases are made in Italy and are delicious served with sweet tomatoes and a drizzle of olive oil.”
I think I have found the factory and is is more near Venice than Naples. I'll email them asking if they sell in Turin this base.

Reactions: Ela_H_

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
“The cauliflower pizza bases are made in Italy and are delicious served with sweet tomatoes and a drizzle of olive oil.”
I think I have found the factory and is is more near Venice than Naples. I'll email them asking if they sell in Turin this base.
I expected an Italian to be horrified by a pizza that wasn't traditional :)

MikeTurin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Because the pizza di cavolfiore is something you find recipes, you find also the "Tortino di Cavolfiore" that is not low carb, because is also made with some flour and eggs...

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other

CherryAA

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It's certainly not the first. You must have seen the Atkins "Chocolate" bars???

TRUE

I meant the NEW deluge - this time round it will be focused on adulterating vegetables, adding stuff that lengthens the life of spiralised courgettes , turning something that was low carb, cauliflower, into something that isn't - and then marketing it to ride on the back of the low carb wave, without people realising it will do precisely zero for their chances of developing insulin resistance.

Combining unlikely industrial ingredients with a standard carrot and calling it something healthy , creating a pretend burger bun made out of lettuce almond flour, industrial seed oil and something inexplicable and trying to persuade us all we should use that instead whilst paying twice the price!

Maybe I'm too cynical!

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
If there's money to be made...

Hotpepper20000

My view on LC is that for it to be good for me I don't want to use premade store bought.
I like knowing what's in the food I eat.

B

badcat

The Sun photo of the finished looks horrible! Maybe thats just the Sun joyrnalists lack of cooking skills tho

Last edited by a moderator:

MikeTurin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have found the factory. They have confirmed that is made in the plant in Genoa, but for now they anren't selling the line in Italy. This is what ther're selling here
http://www.roncadin.it/it/bio.aspx

KetoWolfLady

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Whilst I do allow some (about 10%) non-Paleo "industrial" foods into my Caveman-ish keto diet (like a bit of soy sauce and fake sweetener here and there) I still think there's nothing like sticking to "shopping the perimeter" of the supermarket, where the real human food tends to be! From what I've seen so far the food industry is producing more "lower carb" convenience foods rather than strictly low carb stuff I could actually realistically include in my daily 20-30g of carb limit. It's easy enough to make my own keto bread, wraps, cakes, chocolate etc at home and I enjoy it so it would have to be a very good product for me to want to by something ready-made.

Last edited:

KetoWolfLady

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Having said that a decent keto-friendly, non-dairy, non-soy commercial ice-cream would be very welcome, but I think I might have to wait rather a long time for that lol!