Too many lows.

Heather_5

Hi All. Looking for info off the active diabetics out there.
I'm normally an average diabetic with average at best BG results. Recently started to monitor, analyse and be more precise with all things diabetic. I've brought my average weekly reads down from 11.6 begining of Aug to 8.6 this week. Feeling quote pleased with myself. Then today I've had 5 low BG results. The point of my question is I'm not sure if it's now a matter of tighter control leading to these lows or the fact I've recently took up a class doing couch to 5k. I'm only in my second week and so I'm doing interval type training walking/running. My last session was last night could this be the cause due to a change in metabolism or something.
Thanks for any info.

Often what happens after exercising regularly over a period of time is your metabolism increases so you are burning food more quickly even though you are not exercising at that particular time. Therefore lowering your average BG

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Often what happens after exercising regularly over a period of time is your metabolism increases so you are burning food more quickly even though you are not exercising at that particular time. Therefore lowering your average BG

I'm not entirely convinced it's exercise causes an increased metabolism exactly. What happens is there are two ways for glucose to get from the blood into cells: insulin or glucose transporters. GLUT4 transporters live in your muscles and get activated by muscle contraction so that they can transport glucose into the moving muscles which need it to be fuelled, and the stay activated for a while after exercise.

So if you're not diabetic, after exercise your body knows you don't need quite as much insulin because the glut4 transporters are working to deal with food. If you are diabetic, you might find you need a little less insulin after exercise because the glut4 transporters are offering an alternative route for glucose to get into the cells.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/GLUT4

lely

Well I've not run since Wednesday evening at 6.30pm. It's now 6.30am Friday morning. And I've woken on a 3.8. I have always struggled to keep BG under 10. This was my tenth low BG this week. So something has defo changed. I'm gonna have to go through a round of basal tests and bolus assessments. To establish what needs changing.
The next week or so is gonna be fun.

lely

Update. After having 2 lows this morning, despite no exercise for 2 days. A reduced basal rate and an adjusted bolus rate from 1:9 to 1:12 I decided it's probably not me it's the pump. Animas sending one out. Hopefully by tomorrow, latest Monday.
Hopefully when I get hooked back up it'll all be fine.
11 low BG in 5 days is unprecedented in 11 years of me being diabetic.
Although I was leaning towards the new exercise routine being the issue. I have always gone the gym on and off over 3/4 years and never experienced this kind of dramatic changes before.
Thanks all again for the comments, links and support. I've learned a lot.