Is there a Stigma attached to your diabetes ? What is your experience.

Saramel

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
As a Type 2, I've found there is definitely a stigma attached with many people asking if it is the one you get when you're fat! I want to curl up and die when that happens but usually laugh it off. However, my ancestors were diabetic, so is my Mum, Aunt, etc. There has to be a genetic element but this is completely ignored by the media who paint us all with the same brush.

Reactions: Ana_Meda

Jofster01582

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Some 35 years ago I was a regular commuter on a fairly long distance train to London. There were actually quite a group of us who had got to know each other and there was often a bit of a party atmosphere. Strangers coming into "our" carriage were generally made welcome. One evening there was a young woman of my own age, so I offered her some sweets, she declined saying she couldn't eat sugar, so, feeling generous, I offered some fruit, again declined. I was told, a bit sniffily, that fruit contained sugar - end of conversation. If there had been an internet in the 1980's I expect she would have gone home and had a moan about me.
I don't know why I remembered the incident, but when my husband got his diagnosis, four years ago, it came back to me. Eat five a day, definitely not, FRUIT CONTAINS SUGAR. And so began our low carb journey.
The point I am trying to make, should you still be with me, is that people may be a pain in the bum, but you never know when you might actually be helping or educating someone.
Sally
Occupational health at work suggested that I go see my GP and ate more fruit when I asked about reasonable adjustments

lmsk

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I will test and inject whenever and wherever, I have stood in the middle of a crowd and injected if I need to. Its a serious medical condition and if anyone ever questioned it id be happy to explain! No need to be ashamed or embarrassed at all its not our fault we got this

Reactions: Natt

Smoggy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I know for myself, the biggest physiological impact of Diabetes stigma is that I don't like to test or inject in public because I don't like it when people look and I wonder what they think. I have delayed testing and injecting, particularly in restaurants, because of this. What are your experiences and feelings on this, or other diabetes stigma related experiences?
Having diabetes type 1 for 53 years, I was brought up in an environment where diabetes was rare so had the feeling of being different from an early age. I still hold this stigma but have developed over the years to be subtle and inconspicuous when testing and injecting. I have never been one for demonstrating my difference openly in public. I have seen others do this and feel almost jealous that I don’t have the bravado to perform these acts.

Actaeon70

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Noise, drunk people
I work in a care home and was once asked, when testing BG in the staff room, to go and test somewhere more discreet - by a nurse, of all people.

Having said that, it seems that some of the worst stigma can come from other diabetics - the old Type 1 vs Type 2 thing. Worst thing I've seen on an FB thread was someone saying "At least I've got proper diabetes, not some fat person problem."

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
I work in a care home and was once asked, when testing BG in the staff room, to go and test somewhere more discreet - by a nurse, of all people.

Having said that, it seems that some of the worst stigma can come from other diabetics - the old Type 1 vs Type 2 thing. Worst thing I've seen on an FB thread was someone saying "At least I've got proper diabetes, not some fat person problem."
I am sorry that any type 1 spoke to you in that manner -- clearly this person had no manners and understanding of our mutual underlying illness.
Facebook has a reputation of promoting antagonism between members.

I can assure you that my heart goes out to every one of us .
all the best !!

Ixarix

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin

It's a bit disheartening when you encounter someone in the health care field who should know better, but they don't. It seems there are an awful lot of people with diabetes, so even if you aren't chances are you know at least one person whose dealing with it. There several people in my life who are dealing with it, more than I realized. To be honest most people are usually so focused on their own lives that they barely notice what's going on around them.

Last edited:
Reactions: Actaeon70

jeb

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Know it alls, Doctors who don't have a clue about maintaining diabetes, Right wing politicians
In my experience, some 62 years of it there has been some terrible external occasions when I have found that being diabetic mostly from insurance companies has been a pain or from people ignorant about it but mostly people try to understand that doing a blood test or taking a jab is a necessary part of my life and don't mind at all. But I have no complications and my AIC is around 5.6. So there you go taking care means a full life.

Reactions: Ixarix

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
We are all different. Even we have ignorance to other medical conditions. We cannot know everything.

Being open minded and NOT JUDGEMENTAL would be the key, me thinks.
Until you've walked in their shoes, you will never truely understand.
Life is full of twists and turns.

Ask, if your not sure? Nicely.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I edged on being annoyed about care for'd able bodied type 2s. Baby fed their meals and meds. Then I realised. They could only manage their diabetes that way..... for now.
I have to manage everything and by god it's hard work. 4 of us here and we are all very different but a happy family :) :) :)
I'm no longer gripey about spoon fed able bodied type 2s. We are all different!

pavlosn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I make no secret that I am a t2 diabetic.

I don't broadcast the fact but if it comes up I will happily volunteer the information.

As far as I am concerned I have nothing to be ashamed of, I have a medical condition that I am doing the best to manage.

Certainly I exercise more and eat a healthier diet than many of my non diabetic friends as a result of it.

SHmano

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Being Type 1 diabetic is not a stigma, it had happened for unknown reason so why care about what others think?. I have to be bold to face any situation. In fact I have not stopped myself in doing all my duties without expecting any help from others.

Reactions: Natt and ickihun

Concordjan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Not very good on computers!
I edged on being annoyed about care for'd able bodied type 2s. Baby fed their meals and meds. Then I realised. They could only manage their diabetes that way..... for now.
I have to manage everything and by god it's hard work. 4 of us here and we are all very different but a happy family :) :) :)
I'm no longer gripey about spoon fed able bodied type 2s. We are all different!
Just wonder what you mean by type2s being being baby fed meals and meds?

leslie10152

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Ignorance
I have not noticed much ado about injecting in public. Most people tend to ignore it.

DobbieTheElf

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I know for myself, the biggest physiological impact of Diabetes stigma is that I don't like to test or inject in public because I don't like it when people look and I wonder what they think. I have delayed testing and injecting, particularly in restaurants, because of this. What are your experiences and feelings on this, or other diabetes stigma related experiences?
Personally, I kind of like injecting in public. Once you realise people are not being rude, and that they are just interested, it’s actually quite empowering

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
It's quite interesting. I suspect there's a strong correlation between not feeling stigmatised and not feeling as though it gets in the way with the approach of "diabetes is just another part of me" that some of us have.

BaliRob

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Noisy dogs and loud music especially low-note drumming
Absolutely no stigma - interest or sympathy at times

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have had Type 1 since 1991, with both my sisters also type 1. When I was diagnosed I adopted the approach that “My diabetes had to live with me and not me with it.” So have always tested and injected wherever and whenever necessary. I became the VP of a major telecom company and would test at meetings, with Customers present the whole range. Never had any problems. I also think as a 60 year old that has had Diabetes for 26 years it is up to me and other like minded Type 1’s to fly the flag for all the youngsters just coming to terms with becoming a Diabetic. They see you testing and injecting in public, they come and talk to you about their diabetes and the pressures they are under. Lead the way set good examples that is my philosophy
I must agree that it has become easier for me as Ive become older.

phdiabetic

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I play at my local chess club, and some other members know I'm diabetic. Another player there is a nurse, and so I was really happy that there would be someone who could help me if I needed. Instead, he told me off for eating sugar when I was low, thought that type 1's use epi-pens to inject insulin, and whenever he sees me he asks in a hushed tone "how is...you know...the diabetes?" as if it's something to be embarrassed about. I'm a proud type 1 diabetic, I inject or test or eat wherever and whenever I need to, and nobody's going to stop me! Sometimes it feels awkward to have to stop and deal with diabetes, but it would be way more embarrassing to have a seizure and die because I felt ashamed to take care of myself.

Reactions: MikeTurin