Hypo

craftyguyuk

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Well yesterday I did a very stupid thing, by mistake I injected 54 units of Novo Rapid as I pulled out the needle from my body I realized what I had done, I was on my own in the house so I telephoned The Diabetes Centre for advice, the kept a watch on me while my blood sugar dropped and dropped. I was getting panicky I was being told all through this I shouldn't be on my own but I simply couldn't get help. very much later in the day my wife came home and she was advised to ring the Emergency services, my wife was crying but there was nothing I could do simply lay there. The Emergency service attended and all ended well, but how stupid could I have been? I always check the pens rapid and Lantus, but this time I somehow got in a mess.
The effect on my Wife? she was beside herself, crying and panicking, she called for a neighbour to come in to help her deal with the situation. I hope I never ever do that again it scared us both.

Lesson learnt, the hard way.

Reactions: phdiabetic

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
You're not alone, a lot of us have made the same mistake, myself included.
What actions did Diabetes Centre suggest?

phdiabetic

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Wow that is terrifying! I take less than that in a whole day lol, couldn't imagine having it all at once! I suppose you had a whole lot of carbs, but it's hard to get the amount right when you're taking that many units. What were your numbers like?

Circuspony

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Luckily I'm only on 10 units of long lasting so when I accidentally injected novorapid instead I hit the chocolate stash!

craftyguyuk

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
You're not alone, a lot of us have made the same mistake, myself included.
What actions did Diabetes Centre suggest?
To call the emergency services was the advice, that apparently what the Diabetes Consultant had told the Nurse to tell my Wife.

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
To call the emergency services was the advice, that apparently what the Diabetes Consultant had told the Nurse to tell my Wife.
Was curious to know how people react in these circumstances. I wondered if they advised you to eat some extra carbs to cover the bolus in your system. It can be very scary knowing that you could drop extremely low.
I think the advice most on the forum would have given would have been to eat, eat, check BS and be ready to eat again over a 4/5 hour period. Not easy if you're not hungry :).
Seems all as turned out well now. Maybe even be able to laugh about it in the future.
I guess you're going to be extra careful for a while;).
Take care.

craftyguyuk

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Wow that is terrifying! I take less than that in a whole day lol, couldn't imagine having it all at once! I suppose you had a whole lot of carbs, but it's hard to get the amount right when you're taking that many units. What were your numbers like?
I normally knock out 7`s it had been 7.6 before breakfast so I hadn't far to go down the scale.

craftyguyuk

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Was curious to know how people react in these circumstances. I wondered if they advised you to eat some extra carbs to cover the bolus in your system. It can be very scary knowing that you could drop extremely low.
I think the advice most on the forum would have given would have been to eat, eat, check BS and be ready to eat again over a 4/5 hour period. Not easy if you're not hungry :).
Seems all as turned out well now. Maybe even be able to laugh about it in the future.
I guess you're going to be extra careful for a while;).
Take care.
yes on first contact with the nurse she told me to drink coke or similar and if my wife had baked eat something sugary eat that, she went on to tell me jelly baby`s eat as much as I could manage. she said the emergency services would give me intravenous treatment, I didn't really believe that it warranted the emergency services but the consultant said so we did. I was amazed how helpful the diabetes centre was ringing every half hour to see is I was conscious 10/10

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Scary experience @craftyguyuk so glad your ok now.

I’ve taken a double dose before now of Lantus as well as forgetting to take it - I think in the same circumstances I would simply take glucose on board and test every 20 minutes, the tricky part is remaining calm as getting too panicked could help blood glucose levels to dip, however having some one there to support you is vital, hopefully you’ll never repeat this experience.

DobbieTheElf

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Well yesterday I did a very stupid thing, by mistake I injected 54 units of Novo Rapid as I pulled out the needle from my body I realized what I had done, I was on my own in the house so I telephoned The Diabetes Centre for advice, the kept a watch on me while my blood sugar dropped and dropped. I was getting panicky I was being told all through this I shouldn't be on my own but I simply couldn't get help. very much later in the day my wife came home and she was advised to ring the Emergency services, my wife was crying but there was nothing I could do simply lay there. The Emergency service attended and all ended well, but how stupid could I have been? I always check the pens rapid and Lantus, but this time I somehow got in a mess.
The effect on my Wife? she was beside herself, crying and panicking, she called for a neighbour to come in to help her deal with the situation. I hope I never ever do that again it scared us both.

Lesson learnt, the hard way.
I did that, I advise just eating LOADS no matter the cost. If it’s your life or your weight, always go for your life