Still Figuring This Out

Type2Gal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hello everyone, I only been officially diagnosed for 1 year now...probably less than a year...

But back in 2012 is when I was first informed something was off with my blood sugar levels.

I just kept blowing off the information thinking that I was fine even though everything told me something else.

Unbeknownst to me at the same exact time I’m dealing with and out of control hypothyroidism.

So we could not figure out if it was the diabetes or the thyroid .
for a little while because neither were properly treated & I would not get them officially diagnosed out of fear.

Long story short until about a year or so ago I suffered greatly. I was sleeping 16 hours a day, just so exhausted so thirsty all the time peeing all the time gaining weight and losing weight anxiety heart palpitations excessive sweating. I swear I thought I was dying for quite a long time.

Stubbornness and fear and shame kept me from getting officially diagnosed.

Because having type two diabetes means that I am overweight, I do have an eating problem – emotional over eating, and I’ve been ignoring it for a hell of a long time

So it’s a constant struggle. I do the fingerprint thing multiple times a day, take my pills, I’m a vegetarian but not a very strict one – meaning I eat a lot of vegan/vegetarian/regular junk food.

Lately I noticed that a few hours after I eat my blood sugar drops down to as low as 50!

The other day I was so so sick I did not know what was happening to me. I took my blood sugar and it was 50!
I just soaked in sweat. I thought I was having a heart attack .I really did. My heart is pounding. Sweat pouring off of me. I could barely talk or think.

So in my mind I just ate a normal meal. Seriously, no junk food or sweets or sugary stuff . just normal food. why would this happen?

Now I look back on the past year this happens a lot to me

So anyways you guys have already read my book LOL
just wanted to introduce myself and make you do some “light reading“

Hope you all are doing well and see you all soon

Reactions: TIANDB and Ixarix

Ixarix

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Type2, I'm newly diagnosed too, and like you I had all the signs as well. But I honestly thought if I just gave things time my health problems would fix themselves. But they didn't. I think I was stubborn and afraid too, but as long as nothing was official it meant I wasn't diabetic, and I won't have to deal with all that entailed Unfortunately, things came to a head a few weeks ago and I found myself in the hospital with very high blood sugar. I got treated and left the hospital officially diabetic. Now, I really wish I'd got things in order soon because, I might have avoided some complications and spared the people around me from worrying about me to much.

I hope you get things sorted, I'm sure you will.

Reactions: TIANDB

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Hello everyone, I only been officially diagnosed for 1 year now...probably less than a year...

But back in 2012 is when I was first informed something was off with my blood sugar levels.

I just kept blowing off the information thinking that I was fine even though everything told me something else.

Unbeknownst to me at the same exact time I’m dealing with and out of control hypothyroidism.

So we could not figure out if it was the diabetes or the thyroid .
for a little while because neither were properly treated & I would not get them officially diagnosed out of fear.

Long story short until about a year or so ago I suffered greatly. I was sleeping 16 hours a day, just so exhausted so thirsty all the time peeing all the time gaining weight and losing weight anxiety heart palpitations excessive sweating. I swear I thought I was dying for quite a long time.

Stubbornness and fear and shame kept me from getting officially diagnosed.

Because having type two diabetes means that I am overweight, I do have an eating problem – emotional over eating, and I’ve been ignoring it for a hell of a long time

So it’s a constant struggle. I do the fingerprint thing multiple times a day, take my pills, I’m a vegetarian but not a very strict one – meaning I eat a lot of vegan/vegetarian/regular junk food.

Lately I noticed that a few hours after I eat my blood sugar drops down to as low as 50!

The other day I was so so sick I did not know what was happening to me. I took my blood sugar and it was 50!
I just soaked in sweat. I thought I was having a heart attack .I really did. My heart is pounding. Sweat pouring off of me. I could barely talk or think.

So in my mind I just ate a normal meal. Seriously, no junk food or sweets or sugary stuff . just normal food. why would this happen?

Now I look back on the past year this happens a lot to me

So anyways you guys have already read my book LOL
just wanted to introduce myself and make you do some “light reading“

Hope you all are doing well and see you all soon
How is your hba1c now.
Welcome to the forum.
I'll tag @daisy1 and @AM1874 who both have some great info for newly diagnosed type2s.
Read and enjoy using their recommendations.
We are here for support.

Great to welome you to the club. :)

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
@Type2Gal

Hello Type2Gal and welcome to the Forum :) Here is the Basic Information we give to new members and I hope you will find it useful. Ask as many questions as you need to and someone will be able to help.

BASIC INFORMATION FOR NEW MEMBERS

Diabetes is the general term to describe people who have blood that is sweeter than normal. A number of different types of diabetes exist.

A diagnosis of diabetes tends to be a big shock for most of us. It’s far from the end of the world though and on this forum you'll find well over 250,000 people who are demonstrating this.

On the forum we have found that with the number of new people being diagnosed with diabetes each day, sometimes the NHS is not being able to give all the advice it would perhaps like to deliver - particularly with regards to people with type 2 diabetes.

The role of carbohydrate

Carbohydrates are a factor in diabetes because they ultimately break down into sugar (glucose) within our blood. We then need enough insulin to either convert the blood sugar into energy for our body, or to store the blood sugar as body fat.

If the amount of carbohydrate we take in is more than our body’s own (or injected) insulin can cope with, then our blood sugar will rise.

The bad news

Research indicates that raised blood sugar levels over a period of years can lead to organ damage, commonly referred to as diabetic complications.

The good news

People on the forum here have shown that there is plenty of opportunity to keep blood sugar levels from going too high. It’s a daily task but it’s within our reach and it’s well worth the effort.

Controlling your carbs

The info below is primarily aimed at people with type 2 diabetes, however, it may also be of benefit for other types of diabetes as well.

There are two approaches to controlling your carbs:
  • Reduce your carbohydrate intake
  • Choose ‘better’ carbohydrates
Reduce your carbohydrates

A large number of people on this forum have chosen to reduce the amount of carbohydrates they eat as they have found this to be an effective way of improving (lowering) their blood sugar levels.

The carbohydrates which tend to have the most pronounced effect on blood sugar levels tend to be starchy carbohydrates such as rice, pasta, bread, potatoes and similar root vegetables, flour based products (pastry, cakes, biscuits, battered food etc) and certain fruits.

Choosing better carbohydrates

The low glycaemic index diet is often favoured by healthcare professionals but some people with diabetes find that low GI does not help their blood sugar enough and may wish to cut out these foods altogether.

Read more on carbohydrates and diabetes.

Over 145,000 people have taken part in the Low Carb Program - a free 10 week structured education course that is helping people lose weight and reduce medication dependency by explaining the science behind carbs, insulin and GI.

Eating what works for you

Different people respond differently to different types of food. What works for one person may not work so well for another. The best way to see which foods are working for you is to test your blood sugar with a glucose meter.

To be able to see what effect a particular type of food or meal has on your blood sugar is to do a test before the meal and then test after the meal. A test 2 hours after the meal gives a good idea of how your body has reacted to the meal.

The blood sugar ranges recommended by NICE are as follows:

Blood glucose ranges for type 2 diabetes
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 8.5 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (adults)
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 9 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (children)
  • Before meals: 4 to 8 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 10 mmol/l
However, those that are able to, may wish to keep blood sugar levels below the NICE after meal targets.

Access to blood glucose test strips

The NICE guidelines suggest that people newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes should be offered:

• structured education to every person and/or their carer at and around the time of diagnosis, with annual reinforcement and review
  • self-monitoring of plasma glucose to a person newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes only as an integral part of his or her self-management education

Therefore both structured education and self-monitoring of blood glucose should be offered to people with type 2 diabetes. Read more on getting access to blood glucose testing supplies.

You may also be interested to read questions to ask at a diabetic clinic.

Note: This post has been edited from Sue/Ken's post to include up to date information.

Take part in Diabetes.co.uk digital education programs and improve your understanding. They're all free.
  • Low Carb Program - it's made front-page news of the New Scientist and The Times. Developed with 20,000 people with type 2 diabetes; 96% of people who take part recommend it... find out why
  • Hypo Program - improve your understanding of hypos. There's a version for people with diabetes, parents/guardians of children with type 1, children with type 1 diabetes, teachers and HCPs.

AM1874

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Not much
Hi @Type2Gal .. and welcome
Sorry about the struggles that you have had for such a long time. That said, though, you have certainly made a good move coming here and the key point to take on board now is that managing and controlling your diabetes through diet, exercise and testing your blood glucose seems to be the best way forward for many people. For me, committing to an LCHF (Low Carb High Fat) lifestyle and testing 3-5 times a day seems to be working and you'll find that there is a wealth of info, relevant advice and positive support about LCHF on the forum ..

I see that @ daisy1 has already been in touch and I suggest that you read up on the valuable information that she has sent you. You might also find the discussion on the Low Carb Diet forum helpful .. together with the following Diet Doctor websites, which will give you all the info that you need on what and what not to eat ...
Low Carb Intro and Information and Low Carbs in 60 Seconds

There is no set formula for exercising and, quite simply, the right level and type of exercise is whatever works for you. Some folk join a gym, some do cardio or weights, some concentrate on walking, some take up a sport and some just do that little bit more than they have done before .. anything, in fact, is fine so long as it keeps you moving and gets your blood flowing. My weekly routine is quite busy but I’m retired and have plenty of time on my hands .. the point is that it’s enjoyable and keeps me active every day.

It's good that you are testing your blood glucose but I think it's important that you test in conjunction with what you are eating. You've probably heard the phrase "eating to your meter" which, for me, means that I'm testing 4-5 times a day .. I take my fasting BG first thing in the morning to check that it hasn't shot up overnight, then I test immediately before meals and two hours afterwards. This enables me to monitor trends in my blood glucose levels over time and to check which (if any) foods give me "spikes". More importantly, I now know what my levels are .. and I can manage them

Hope this helps

Reactions: dbr10

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
My thyroid stopped working properly a long time ago, some of your symptoms are familiar. Then when I was finally diagnosed I was given Thyroxine, a few more tests to get to the right dose and it has been fine ever since - a very long time.
If anyone is going to experience side effects it would be me - I seem to get all of the unwanted and few of the desired consequences of swallowing pills.
However, having type two diabetes just means that you have type two diabetes.
You are not the problem. As long as you are still producing insulin then controlling what carbs you eat, and when will help suppress the effects of diabetes.
When I was dropping my numbers I ate two meals fairly close together, as I thought that fasting was going to help - not for me. I started dropping low in the afternoons and having to lie down before I fell over.
I had experienced the same thing in my teens and twenties so it was perhaps not so alarming for me. I tried various changes, and discovered that eating earlier with a few carbs as a first meal stopped it happening. The drop happened the first day but not so hard, then the second day I noticed it as a slight dip, third day nothing at all.
I think it is a good sign in a way, it means that although you are still overproducing insulin - to cause the drop - you are now reacting to it rather than still being resistant. Once your pancreas calms down it should level out.

Reactions: ziggy_w and Ixarix

Alison Campbell

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
take my pills
Hello @Type2Gal , welcome to the forum. I just divided 50 by 18 to get UK numbers, wow that is very low.

What medications are you taking for diabetes? Did you treat the hypo with fast acting glucose? Have you reported these lows to your doctor?

Reactions: ziggy_w

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
If you are taking insulin or one of the drugs that stimulates insulin production, there could be a fault with your dosage.

If not, then you seem to be showing signs of reactive hypoglycaemia. This is when food causes your blood glucose to rise quite high, and then your pancreas overloads your body with too much insulin so your levels drop quickly and drastically, causing hypos. There is a separate sub-forum for this condition that you may find useful, and may hear some bells ringing.

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/category/reactive-hypoglycemia.70/

Meanwhile I'll tag @Brunneria and @Lamont D who are experts on this.

Reactions: ziggy_w

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi and welcome!

There is (as Bluetit says) a condition called Reactive Hypoglycaemia, where people experience low blood glucose after eating carbs. The solution for many people is to reduce the carb intake to a level that doesn't trigger the condition. We have a section of the forum where people with RH ask questions and discuss their experiences.

However, since you are also experiencing hypothyroid, and are (presumably?) on medication for that, I think it would be very unwise for any of us to make any assumptions about what is going on.

As Bluetit (also) says, it may be that your thyroid medication needs adjustment. Are your thyroid levels being checked regularly, and are they in range?
Also, are you on any diabetic meds? And if so, which?

A double diagnosis like that must take some adjustment, and quite a while to get your head around. So I am glad you have found the forum, and I hope you find some of the answers you need. :)

Kentoldlady1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hello, welcome aboard. Lots of people have both conditions, and a lot of them are in my family. The good news is that once your blood levels are sorted you will feel a great deal better.
My thyroid levels got back into range first, which gave me the mental energy to tackle the t2d. Its totally doable.

However, its really up to you how you want to tackle it. The thyroid tests and ranges are down to your hcp to do, but how you decide to deal with the t2d is really up to you. Many people use lchf, but some dont. Pull up a chair, have a cup of tea and read everything you can find. Read this forum, follow various links, look at the official health sites and decide what works best.

The stubbornness and fear I can understand, but would ask you to ditch the shame. I am assuming the shame is attached to weight issues and over eating? The fact is that most over weight people do not develop t2d. In lots of ways it would be great if they did because there would bebe a nice easy cure. But only some obese people have it. I think about 20%of t2ds are under weight. There is a great deal more going on than just weight. There is no need for shame because we are ill. However, the wider perception is that we bought it on ourselves. This is not true.

And I can totally understand the comfort eating. Food makes me feel good, never letsme down and is always there when I need it. Food is great company. However, my eating habits were slowly killing me.
For me, the thing that worked was learning about the progression of uncontrolled t2d. I really dont want to go blind. Funnily enough, losing toes, feet , kidneys etc didnt evoke the same sense of fear as losing my eyes, and at the beginning that is the stick I clung to in order to make thelchf diet work for me.. Now I dont really need it.

Make sure that whatever you decide to do works well with the medication you have been given. You have already been very low and dont want to do that very often! Keep posting, ask questions or just have a bit of a rant. This is a very friendly place.

Good luck with it all.