Breakfast

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
What insulins are you using? It may be that the example I gave of how I deal with balancing it all may not suit the regime you've been put on.

Sean0711

Type of diabetes
Type 1
What do you guys generally have for breakfast? at the moment I'm currently having 2 slices wholemeal toast and 2 slices cheese, not only am I thoroughly fed up of this but I'm finding its not keeping me full for long and I'm hungry within 2 hours :( x
I eat the seedy wholemeal bread with Meridian crunchy peanut butter! Some times I poach eggs and have them on top so nice!

Reactions: himtoo

kaylz91

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
What insulins are you using? It may be that the example I gave of how I deal with balancing it all may not suit the regime you've been put on.
I already have a consultant but he skipped most of the things I had written down when I saw him last month, also I already have diabetic macular odema which I was diagnosed with a month after the diabetes :( and I'm using novorapid and tresiba x

maria030660

Dislikes
backstabbers, brocoli and dirt toilets...uggghhhh
I have skyrr with some blue berries in the morning, I have to get up 4.45 every working day and this works out nicely till 9.30 when I have a snack.

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I'm really sorry to hear about the macular oedema, and I think I better understand now why you're so afraid of going high. I'm sorry, too, that I said that I felt fit after 48 years, that must have seemed very insensitive.

Are you down for either of the treatments for oedema?

It may not be the main concern now, but my go-to low carb but fill you up stuff is a soup made with spinach, courgette, aubergine, spices, a tin of chopped tomatoes, onion and any other just about zero carb veg to hand. Just tip it all in a pan and cook til the veg are as you like them. A couple of bowls of that and I feel so full that I fear I'll never move again!

It's not good for putting weight on though but very good for removing it, so be brave and have bread too? Or less tomato juice, and a baked potato? And some meat? Lots of meat? A slice of gammon or make it into a stew? And cheese?

Good luck!!!!

kaylz91

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm really sorry to hear about the macular oedema, and I think I better understand now why you're so afraid of going high. I'm sorry, too, that I said that I felt fit after 48 years, that must have seemed very insensitive.

Are you down for either of the treatments for oedema?

It may not be the main concern now, but my go-to low carb but fill you up stuff is a soup made with spinach, courgette, aubergine, spices, a tin of chopped tomatoes, onion and any other just about zero carb veg to hand. Just tip it all in a pan and cook til the veg are as you like them. A couple of bowls of that and I feel so full that I fear I'll never move again!

It's not good for putting weight on though but very good for removing it, so be brave and have bread too? Or less tomato juice, and a baked potato? And some meat? Lots of meat? A slice of gammon or make it into a stew? And cheese?

Good luck!!!!
Don't apologise it wasn't insensitive at all! You weren't to know so please don't worry about it :) I've had quite a few IVT injections for it up to now so they are kinda becoming like a 'normal' thing for me now, as I say the DSN and Dieticians main focus is for me to up my carbs but without the extra support I'm just not ready or brave enough to do so, I'm seeing them both on Tuesday and the hope is that they will see how bad it has gotten for me and offer that extra support as I'm really feeling like I cant go on like this x

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
You've been hit with a lot over the past year so you've done really well to get this far. Of course it's worth it to keep going! Hope you get the extra support from the DSN and dieticians and remember, there's lots of support from us here too.

Let us all know how it goes, and I hope you feel you can talk to us about anything, everything and the stuff between the lines. Lots of us have had the dark times as well as the sunny days. X

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I already have a consultant but he skipped most of the things I had written down when I saw him last month, also I already have diabetic macular odema which I was diagnosed with a month after the diabetes :( and I'm using novorapid and tresiba x

Kaylz - I'm really disappointed for you that your Consultant skipped over most of your agenda when you saw him last. Did he give any reason for that?

If you're back there in a couple of days, is anyone going with you? In your shoes, I'd be taking my list of things I wanted to discuss. Don't forget it's your appointment for support with the condition you need to manage in his absence on a day to day basis.

I know it can be difficult to speak up at times like that (unless you're a bolshie old biddy, like me), so if you have someone with you, could you prime them to say to you, at the right time, "Have you got answers to all the questions on your list?" That gives you the opportunity to say "No", and bring your Consultant back to your agenda. He may think he's covered everything, but if it hasn't been covered for you, you'll only leave fristrated again.

Don't necessarily put too brave a face on things during your appointment. Sometimes presenting ourselves as being "cool, calm and collected" doesn't do us any favours. When people are busy it's more comfortable to take that front on face value, rather than asking, "how are you actually feeling?" If you end up crying or having a bit of a melt down, it might not be a bad thing.

It's frustrating when we see something as very important, to be swept over by others as unimportant.

I feel for you.

Reactions: Fairygodmother

kaylz91

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @kaylz91 . Suddenly recalled the name of carb counting course up there in your area.
DIANE. Dosage Insulin Adjustments for Normal Eating.
Good luck with the nurse this week.
Thank you will look into that and ask the nurse on Tuesday :) x

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Hi kaylz91, how did it go with the nurse today? X

rockape37

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Over the top political correctness
What do you guys generally have for breakfast? at the moment I'm currently having 2 slices wholemeal toast and 2 slices cheese, not only am I thoroughly fed up of this but I'm finding its not keeping me full for long and I'm hungry within 2 hours :( x
Eat whatever you want, this is the simplest answer. You need to count your carbs and match it with your insulin ie Carb ratios.
Breakfast for me is normally 3 weetabix with a handfull of walnuts, milk and sweetener which gives me a total oif 51 grams of carbs (different brands of weetabix vary carb wise and the walnuts being low GI i do not count for).
I also have Oats, sultanas, walnuts with milk and sweetener, this adds up to 90 grams of carbs.
If I'm away from home in a hotel or b&b then i have full english with toast, yoghurt and pastries.

Once you get used to carb counting you will be fine but there will always be a time when you just have to estimate so make sure to keep your self aware of this should your bg drop.

Regards

Martin

Reactions: Fairygodmother

kaylz91

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi kaylz91, how did it go with the nurse today? X
Hi sorry I didn't get back to you sooner, was on a bit of a downer last night, it went ok, but I broke down, I've reduced my Tresiba dose again so now down to 4 units, have to email my DSN on Friday with how that is going, no real help with the feeling of fear of eating and they are worried as my weight is down another 3 pound in a few weeks :(, no further with the psychology department however both the dietician and the nurse are going to see if they can get things moving any quicker x

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Hi sorry I didn't get back to you sooner, was on a bit of a downer last night, it went ok, but I broke down, I've reduced my Tresiba dose again so now down to 4 units, have to email my DSN on Friday with how that is going, no real help with the feeling of fear of eating and they are worried as my weight is down another 3 pound in a few weeks :(, no further with the psychology department however both the dietician and the nurse are going to see if they can get things moving any quicker x

Sorry to hear that! My young grandson, who sometimes gets nervous, has adopted the saying "I need to put my brave on". Have a go? I know it's not easy, so baby steps? Easy carb-count things? Lots of testing?
What's your current weight?
Do you have any energy?
I have a feeling lack of nutrition also affects mental health.
Hugs, x

kaylz91

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Sorry to hear that! My young grandson, who sometimes gets nervous, has adopted the saying "I need to put my brave on". Have a go? I know it's not easy, so baby steps? Easy carb-count things? Lots of testing?
What's your current weight?
Do you have any energy?
I have a feeling lack of nutrition also affects mental health.
Hugs, x
Believe me I am trying myself
My weight is currently down to 43.8kg, and at 5ft 5 that's not good at all
No I have no energy at all :(
Thanks x

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not surprised you have no energy!!!!!

If you want to feel better then you must eat, take supplements maybe, nibble cheese, nuts (check carb - almonds are lowest that I know), have some protein e.g. Eggs and fish and meat, vegetables like spinach, broccoli, carrot, onion. You don't need to eat a lot all at once - try having small bowls of all the above in the fridge and graze all day.
And be brave - try to include some carbs.
I know it'll be hard at first, and you'll try to resist.
Have you tried personalising your resistance, your fear? I had a friend who was fighting a really bad, life threatening condition, and she kept a diary in which the threat was a cartoon of a wicked fairy - like in the old tale - and she was the brave small person. It helped!
Happily too, she recovered.
Good luck,
Hugs x

kaylz91

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

kaylz91

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Just thought I would let anyone interested know, I pulled on my big girl pants and went out of my comfort zone this morning by having a 40g portion of Quaker jumbo oats with almond milk and a sprinkling of cinnamon :) x