HYPO ALERT DOGS

Tracey167

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all
Just wondering if anyone had any knowledge of a hypo alert dog, my hubby has been looking on the diabetes uk website and checking out the website for the alert dogs as he said that this maybe a good thing to do as i have lost all awareness of my hypos and they are very erratic. My hubby had to become my full-time carer a few years ago and thought if these dogs are good at detecting when sugar levels are dropping my hubby maybe able to return to work. Was just wondering if anyone has one or knows of someone who has. I have tried everything to try get some awareness back but its no use i get so frustrated as i can't really go nowhere on my own, maybe to the shops round the corner but thats only because my hubby would know where i am and i can't be no longer than an hour My hubby has been great he can tell just by looking in my eyes that i'm going low and now my 11 year old daughter can spot it as well but the annoying thing is i feel normal but when i test i can drop as low as 1.9 feeling normal .

Any advise would be appriciated.

tracey167

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Hi Tracey

Ref hypo dogs...
I too have looked at these, but from an angle of getting dogs trained myself for other diabetics, but there is a special scheme in which you and your dogs qualify to be care dogs..

I adore dogs and also have hypos and would also love to help out others if it was feasible.. I too would love to know more about dogs that are officially declared as hypo dogs.

One of my old girlies was hypo aware at night and would wale me up by trying to get into bed under the covers when I was hypo, but I never thought then to get her 'statemented' as a care dog.

I so wish hospitals recognised that it costs more for your hubby to look after you as a carer than to give you a cgm to use...has anybody ever suggested you use a cgm?

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Try giving Diabetes UK a ring who should put you in touch with the charities that train these fantastic dogs.

Tracey167

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi

Thanks for your replies, my hubby spoke to a lady at the hypo alert dogs centre and she explained what the proceedure was but my hubby was abit confused as she said that they want to see blood glucose readings and that i need to be doing over 6 readings upto 10 reading a day, but i said to my hubby a don't think my doctor would be to impressed with having to prescribe me 2 boxes of test strips a week plus i don't have 10 slots a day in my blood glucose dairy to write all them down there are only 8 slots a day, i can obviously test before and after meals which i started doing anyway to try cut out the hypo's but unfortunatly it really does'nt seem to stop them. Yes i do agree that my hubby being my carer costs alot more than what a hypo alert dog would cost and the way all these reforms that are coming in they are making it harder for people in and out of work.

tracey167

colacard

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi I don't no about hypo alert dogs but we would be lost some nights without our little poodle, my daughter now 16 has been T1since she was 8 and unfortunately quite prone to night seizures, our dog barks in the middle of the night when my daughter is going into a fit. I don't know if she senses something or hears the first signs but it gives me the chance to get to her room with the glycogen to sort her out, sometimes I don't know what we would do without her. X

Tracey167

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi colacard thanks for your reply whow your little poodle sounds like a god send to you. Apparently dogs sence of smell is about 4 times more better than ours so they can smell a scent from a diabetic who's sugars are dropping. I think its brilliant.

tracey167

Van1946

I have a toy poodle, who turned out in his own way to know when I was having a hypo, it must be the smell on me that he knows, we taught him to tell my husband who is deaf (born deaf). Poodles are very easy to train. He has now learnt to tell me when my insulin is due and is always within a few minutes. There are places you can have your dog you have trained for you, but not sure what the fees are if there is any.

Hi

I have a diabetic alert dog a miniature poodle who alerts me to hypos and hypers about 4-5 times a day. He came to me from a charity called Medical Detection Dogs. You will need to keep very detailed records of BM readings and what you eat and excercise and activity and if you are lucky enough to get a dog a lot of records on the alerting especially during training. My dog has given me a new life, I am able to work now and I am not having weekly Paramedic call outs and hospital admissions. There is a long waiting list but this is a small and very worthy charity who work really hard to raise awarness and funds so that more people can have these incredible four legged friends. Check out their website for more info.

:thumbup: :wave: :)

jann62

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi, I've had my dog since he was a puppy, I recently not by choice had to live on my own, I lost my hypo warnings 18 years ago, my dog is a cross staff/lab and we are very close. The first night we spent on our own, he woke me at 4.30 in the morning, I thought he wanted to go out, but he just sat there and looked at my bottle of Lucazade which I keep on my bedside table, I thought he wanted some (as he loves sugary things)!!! But I thought check your blood sugar, it was 1.2. It wasn't a fluke he has done it loads of times since, don't know if it's because we are close or what but I like to think if you build up a connection with your dog, he'll know what to do,hope this helps love Jan

brunodog25

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
HOSPITALS AND CERTAIN STAFF DOCS NBOT BEEN STRAIGHT WITH ME PREFER TRUTH THEN GET IT OVER AND DONE WITH
I AM UNSURE IF THIS CHARITY DOES HYPO DOGS BUT THEY DO ALOT OF DIFFERENT TRAININGS FOR DOGS I HAD A SUPPORT DOT /SEIZURE ALERT DOG UNTIL HE RETIRED AND PASSED AWAY LATER MY HEALTH GO ALOT WORSE IN DFIFFERENT AREAS BUT THIS CHARITY - SUPPOT DOGS - GOOGLE IT IS FROM SHEFFIELD CAN SAY YES OR NO AND IF YES WELL GO FROM THERE
GOOD LOOK

lukkymik

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The opposites of above!!!!
Thanks to our (rescued) Cocker Spanial Leisha I have been prevented from having 2 Hypos. As i'm lucky enough to have Never had a full blown hypo in 13 years I did however have a critical drop from 10.6 > 4.1 in under 4 hrs the day after I had my insulin changed to Humulon3. Leisha was apparantly running from me to my wife and back and "Meeping" at Annie. My wife is partially disabled and tried calling me, rang my mobile and eventually had to get up and find me .... Out for count on bed in spare room with Leisha sat on my chest licking my face trying to wake me up. We discussed this with the Diabetic team who told us that some dogs are just good at sensing this. I did say 2 stopped Hypos didnt I?? Thats because she's just done it again an hour ago ie 2.30am 21/07/13. I've not felt great for 36hrs or so .... Bloods OKish but just knackered/lifeless which I put down to the heat but I guess an early tea and falling asleep about 9pm meant I missed eating supper and my BS was down to 4.8 which though not a hypo is, for me, much too low!!! 10ish after supper @ bedtime = 5.5 - 6 fasting am test so 4.8 @ 2.30am could have led to ????? Its now 3.30 & my bloods are up to 8.2 thanks to Lucozade and Mcvities Digestives..... Once again thanks LeeLee for looking after me!!!!!!!!

ps Ive now got a little Spaniel lying at my shoulder and a huge 90+ llb Lab across my legs!!! Oh and the wifes happy for me to go back to sleep!!!!

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

ichael1960

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Incompetence - Rude and Obnoxious People - Radishes - Mussels
Hi, my dog Sparkey woke me up today at 3.30am by licking my face and barking. I didn't feel too good so checked blood glucose levels and they were 2.8, which is the lowest I have ever had. I do believe that he actually saved my life, I dread to think what might have happened had he not been there. This is not an isolated incident, he has done this on three other occasions now. I would like to make him an official alert dog, but don't know how to go about it.

Engineer88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
You want the charity medical alert dogs @Tracey167 .

http://medicaldetectiondogs.org.uk/

Cooper (pictured) will hopefully train to become one of these dogs.

Yes you have to do all the tests to prove you need the dog - otherwise everyone would have one!! Also you might want to look at getting a pump/CGM. Your Dr cant stop you testing especially if you are having hypo unawareness.

Penquin47210

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I tried Medical Detection Dogs for advice and they were totally unwilling to assist in any way. They would not even talk with me. They said it is not something they are doing much of now as it is more important for them to develop dog trainig for cancer detection. So sadly, look elsewhere and do not waste your time contacting them.