Anyone using the Novopen Echo (as a grown up)

maria030660

Dislikes
backstabbers, brocoli and dirt toilets...uggghhhh
The decision was made together with my consultant and tell you the truth i feel a lot better. I guess pumping is not suitable for all type 1's. I am doing quite well now but i miss the micro dosing of the pump. The Echo is able to do dosing per 0.5.

maria030660

Dislikes
backstabbers, brocoli and dirt toilets...uggghhhh
I only need one for the Novorapid, as i am on low carb i only need small amounts of bolus insulin. The Levemir I keep on the normal pen, after all 25 units is 25 units and that doesn't change daily

Dodo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi everyone,

I recently went back from pump to injection and i am doing a lot better. I am using the normal flexpen but i cant micro dose with it, You have to inject a whole unit. I suppose i was spoiled with the pump which can micro dose with 0,1 unit. At this moment i am using the app MySugr to keep track on my amounts of insulin injected but when it gets busy at work sometimes how much i injected slips my mind. I saw there is a pen from Novo Nordisk that does 0.5 unit as well and remembers what dossis you took previously but it seems it was designed for kids. Anyone of the grown ups here using this pen? If not but you recognise this issue what pen are you using? I am on levemir and novorapid.

Love to hear from you.
I've been using the Echo Pen for about 2 years and think it's wonderful. Being able to give myself a half unit really helps with correction doses as well as being able to see when and how much your previous dose was.

pinewood

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've been using the Echo since diagnosis nearly 3 years ago and love it; 0.5 units are so handy and the memory function is helpful too. I find the build quality very good but the battery tends to go after about 6 months; I have mine on repeat and just order a new one.

Tony337

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being on holiday....
I use the echo for my novorapid and love that little bit of extra flexibility and I can't quite work out why all pens don't come with the memory function.
I'm 49 and wish it had been around when I was a kid but hey ho.
Spares are easily obtained from my GPs surgery but I do have an exceptional surgery.

Tony

Dodo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've been using the Echo since diagnosis nearly 3 years ago and love it; 0.5 units are so handy and the memory function is helpful too. I find the build quality very good but the battery tends to go after about 6 months; I have mine on repeat and just order a new one.
I totally agree except I've never had the battery go on either of my Echo Pens after all this time. (What's the betting one will go tonight now I've said that!).

Kbarbaracollins_

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi everyone,

I recently went back from pump to injection and i am doing a lot better. I am using the normal flexpen but i cant micro dose with it, You have to inject a whole unit. I suppose i was spoiled with the pump which can micro dose with 0,1 unit. At this moment i am using the app MySugr to keep track on my amounts of insulin injected but when it gets busy at work sometimes how much i injected slips my mind. I saw there is a pen from Novo Nordisk that does 0.5 unit as well and remembers what dossis you took previously but it seems it was designed for kids. Anyone of the grown ups here using this pen? If not but you recognise this issue what pen are you using? I am on levemir and novorapid.

Love to hear from you.

I am using the pens you are describing, which allow 0.5 units and also record the dose. They are great- I have a blue one for Fiasp, a red one for Novorapid and they sent me a wrap for another red one for my Tresiba to differentiate it.

Reactions: Dodo

lizdeluz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have been on mdi for 33 years, diagnosed aged 29. So not a child. I use the Echo for NovoRapid bolus insulin. I agree with earlier comments that it's marketing that associated the Echo to young people. There are 2 reasons why I like the Echo: 1) I low carb and need less insulin and so half-units are very necessary; 2) I often test and inject when other stuff is happening so the memory function is crucial during multi-tasking. I agree with a former comment that all pens should have the memory function and, ideally, a better one - with the Echo, mess up once and you can't retrieve the last result.

Celsus

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @maria030660, I agree with @ringi above, why do you think that it is only for kids? ;o)
Personally I only need very low doses of fast acting insulin, so the pen from Novo allowing you to inject the NovoRapid in 0.5 unit doses is perfect. I tried using the pump many years back, but found the trouble with it tedious as not fitting my active lifestyle with intl travel, water sports, etc etc. And with the arrival of glargine insulins (Lantus, Tresiba...) then the basal rate was taken care of on stable terms. And for me taking the fast acting according to what I have of food on the plate in front of me is no trouble at all. And those Novo 0.5 unit pens, they also come in great colors, don't you think? Life is too short to be boring! ;o)

Books1

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I use flexipens but I'm interested in the echo for half units as I'm on a LC diet. Just wondering can you get the pen and the inevitable spare through the NHS or do you need to buy them yourself?
I got mine from hospital when I explained a full unit was often too much - no charge.