Type 1 Piercings type 1

miszu

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
!!

Okay, sorry im just a little shocked. Hope that wont turn out bad. Thought i would be scared of getting an infection !
Just note, even if ur BG is fine it can happen, and then its a big problem to u. GL !

Reactions: FlowerT1

FlowerT1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
!!

Okay, sorry im just a little shocked. Good luck with that hope it wont turn out bad. Thought i would be scared of getting an infection !

Yeah.. I am a little bit scared, I had it done back in September found out I was diabetic in December and the doctors said I was diabetic for ages so I could of been diabetic then and it went okay, I might have a little think before I do it.

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@FlowerT1 I've had six*, two of which became infected - both healed fine though. The two that went icky were ear cartilage (I didn't look after it) and navel (I insisted on a ring at the time of piercing, rather than one of those banana things - rookie error).

I went to the doctor immediately, both times, and was prescribed antibiotics, which cleared them up. Oh, and I had a pep talk from the doctor. Not to mention my parents.....

:)

*most of them in ears.

M

ME_Valentijn

Belly buttons are nasty ones for getting infected. Too much bacteria likes to hang in that perfect warm and damp little cave :p

When I was 16 I helped my friend do her belly button (I had to push it through the skin when it got painful for her), and it got infected. No health insurance, so she took it out to help clear out the infection.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
I had a second ear piercing done a few years ago, but nothing else, earlobes were red and a bit sore, but no problems whatsoever.
Good luck @FlowerT1

Debbielewis22

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
As long as you look after it and your levels are ok you should be fine, I've been t1 for44 years and had ears pierced twice and 3 tattoos and all ok, good luck

MH2010

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have had several piercings, ears, eyebrows, lip twice, nipple, navel, tongue, nose and they have all been fine.

As long as you follow instructions from whoever does the piercing, make sure the place is up to standard before you get the piercing done and keep it clean.

Reactions: Crystalwand

Gordon F

Is there anything I need to worry about getting a piercing if I'm type 1 diabetic?

I have had various piercings and tattoos over the years, the thing i would say is to be extra careful with keeping everything clean. It may take slightly longer to heal but there shouldn't be any issues if you follow after care instructions.

Lunar_Lapin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@FlowerT1

Sorry I'm a bit late to the party - I've wanted both nipples pierced for years, did you go ahead if so have any issues?

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Aren't piercings and tattoos passé yet? If not, I hope they are soon, as they look horrible in my opinion. Picture your granny with tattoos and nipple piercing before going ahead.

Lunar_Lapin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Aren't piercings and tattoos passé yet? If not, I hope they are soon, as they look horrible in my opinion. Picture your granny with tattoos and nipple piercing before going ahead.

As someone without any grandparents I can't comment. I do however know several people of older generations with both tattoos and piercings and in my opinion they look great. Thanks for your opinion, but I don't regret any of the tattoos or piercings that I've had for 10 years.

MeganTetley

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hope I can shed some light on this as I'm Type One, and have ten piercings and my sister is a body piercer so can hopefully share some advice; my first thing is make sure you've eaten beforehand and your sugars are in range as adrenaline can do strange things. The second is that where you are going, make sure they pierce with titanium as its a lot safer and you're less likely to be allergic to it whereas with gold and silver they are a mix of metals and can cause reactions.

As for keeping it clean afterwards, clean it at least once a day. I recommend using a pre mixed solution over mixing your own as it is difficult to get the perfect mix of salt to water and too much salt can burn it but not enough wont keep it clean. Be aware there is such a thing as over cleaning a piercing, so don't fuss it every few hours because that can cause irritation.

Of course until its healed try not to touch it, especially with unwashed hands - if you have any worries you can always go back to your piercer, a doctor would make you take it out most of the time so be careful. Of course I'm not a professional but this si the advice I've been given by professionals and have found that it has worked, never had any real trouble with any of my piercings. Hope this helps :)

Lunar_Lapin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hope I can shed some light on this as I'm Type One, and have ten piercings and my sister is a body piercer so can hopefully share some advice; my first thing is make sure you've eaten beforehand and your sugars are in range as adrenaline can do strange things. The second is that where you are going, make sure they pierce with titanium as its a lot safer and you're less likely to be allergic to it whereas with gold and silver they are a mix of metals and can cause reactions.

As for keeping it clean afterwards, clean it at least once a day. I recommend using a pre mixed solution over mixing your own as it is difficult to get the perfect mix of salt to water and too much salt can burn it but not enough wont keep it clean. Be aware there is such a thing as over cleaning a piercing, so don't fuss it every few hours because that can cause irritation.

Of course until its healed try not to touch it, especially with unwashed hands - if you have any worries you can always go back to your piercer, a doctor would make you take it out most of the time so be careful. Of course I'm not a professional but this si the advice I've been given by professionals and have found that it has worked, never had any real trouble with any of my piercings. Hope this helps :)

That does help thank you :) I've never had a serious issue with a piercing before, I think I'm just a little apprehensive because of the location haha. I am a terrible healer though, took about 2 years for my septum to heal!

MeganTetley

Type of diabetes
Type 1
That does help thank you :) I've never had a serious issue with a piercing before, I think I'm just a little apprehensive because of the location haha. I am a terrible healer though, took about 2 years for my septum to heal!
Oh don't worry, my helix has been in nearly three years and it's only properly just settled. But talking to friends who aren't diabetic, they say they sometimes have had a similar experience so I don't think it's too worrying. If anything is wrong I would talk to the piercer or a doctor if its super worrying :)

Reactions: Lunar_Lapin

Crystalwand

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Sorry pushed wrong button had many tattoos and piercings, the only problems I ever had was my nipples, and that was once a month, you know that time, now I have gone passed all that, no problems, same as everything BG good, and keep clean, your BG may go up or down but don't panic we are all different,

Reactions: Lunar_Lapin