Low Carb/Fav Food Shopping in the UK!

MRSROK

Hello!

I am visiting Scotland from Australia and would love to buy some exciting products to take home with me that we don't get in Aus.

I am Type 1 and have been overindulging in carbs since arriving in Scotland (because we have such amazing carb loaded food!!) but want to get on track with a low carb diet going forward. I have only been diagnosed and on insulin for 2 weeks so I'm still finding my feet with regards to food/carb counting and spikes.

All going well despite the travelling and increased food intake! lol

Hit me up with your fav low carb/diabetic friendly products from Tesco/Asda/Lidl/Sainsburys/Scotmid....wherever!!

miahara

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @MRSOK and welcome to Scotland from someone who lives near the original Perth!
There are loads of low carb foods in the supermarkets, but you need to read the info on the backs of the packaging, but in general fish, meats and fowl are low carb. You'll also find low carb veggies prepacked such as olives.
However you really need to bear in mind that the land down under is very strict when it comes to importation of meat and veg products and you risk a fine and the loss of any products that breach importation rules. I can't quote the precise rules, but do know that even an apple is a no-no.
I'd be surprised if you can't find low carb food in Oz, you maybe just need to do a bit more research into locally produced foods.
Enjoy your holiday. Sorry we couldn't have come up with a bit better weather for you!

Dave

Last edited:
Reactions: MRSROK and TIANDB

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well my favourite low carb products for the most part are probably just the same as you should be able to buy in Australia:
Fresh meat, poultry, (mainly oily) fish, full fat dairy products, eggs, avocados, olives & olive oil, above ground vegetables, nuts & seeds in various guises including flours/meal, oils and butters, and very low carb fruit.

You might also care to look closer to home for a favourite alternative natural sweetener of mine - Natvia - which is actually produced in Australia!! :D:D

Many products advertised as diabetic friendly are not always the case, so if you look at any of these, please read both the lists of ingredients and the nutritional content information very carefully.

And finally don't forget what @miahara has said about importing fresh produce!

Happy holidays, Robbity

D

Deleted member 308541

You will be given an Incoming Passenger Card before you arrive in Australia. You must comply with the requirement to provide this information. Giving false or misleading information is a serious offence.

You must mark YES on your card if you are carrying goods that may pose a biosecurity risk. These goods include plant material, animal products and certain food.

http://www.agriculture.gov.au/travelling/arriving-in-australia

Last edited by a moderator:

MRSROK

Hi @MRSOK and welcome to Scotland from someone who lives near the original Perth!
There are loads of low carb foods in the supermarkets, but you need to read the info on the backs of the packaging, but in general fish, meats and fowl are low carb. You'll also find low carb veggies prepacked such as olives.
However you really need to bear in mind that the land down under is very strict when it comes to importation of meat and veg products and you risk a fine and the loss of any products that breach importation rules. I can't quote the precise rules, but do know that even an apple is a no-no.
I'd be surprised if you can't find low carb food in Oz, you maybe just need to do a bit more research into locally produced foods.
Enjoy your holiday. Sorry we couldn't have come up with a bit better weather for you!

Dave

Thanks Dave!! I am very well aware of the Aus border rules - I have been coming to Scotland every year for the past 10 years :) I know what to eat and yes there are actually more choices of low carb and healthy alternatives in Aus. I run healthy cooking classes for kids in Melbourne and all my classes are focused on healthier choices. I spend last year travelling to and from Perth as my Husband worked there most of the year.

D

Deleted member 308541

Hahahahaaha - I am well travellled!!! You can't even take fruit from state to state! And I have seen Border Security! lol
Seeing as you are well travelled you will know what not to bring back with you then.

Border Security only pick on Asian travellers. :D

Reactions: MRSROK

miahara

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks Dave!! I am very well aware of the Aus border rules - I have been coming to Scotland every year for the past 10 years :) I know what to eat and yes there are actually more choices of low carb and healthy alternatives in Aus. I run healthy cooking classes for kids in Melbourne and all my classes are focused on healthier choices. I spend last year travelling to and from Perth as my Husband worked there most of the year.

Oh that's just brilliant educating the kids. It should help reduce the incidence of obesity and diabetes. Education, education, education. More power to your elbow!!

Dave

Reactions: MRSROK