LCHF isn't working.

Dinet

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
I know it should be trial and error but when I wasn't losing on 60g a Diabetes nurse told me I had to increase to 150g . That cost me a year and 5kg gain. I only started improving when I was under 20g carbs. HBA1C today was 49. So people should be told the whole story.
that's not the "whole story", it s your story

Reactions: lovinglife

Dinet

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
I don't think I can eat much more fat at the moment.
Changed to Double Cream now in my tea and also consume some from the container straight.Plenty of Bacon and Eggs.
Belly Pork and Chicken Thighs Cheese.

Also just got the results of my Bowel Cancer screening, ( the second test).
Confirms there's an abnormal result, and have to see a Consultant then probably a Colonoscopy test in the near future.

Just hoping its nothing to do with this diet. Pretty confident it's nothing; I get plenty of roughage in my diet from Veg.
good luck with the tests

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi first posting, just sayin.......4 weeks into lchf, type 2 diabetes, diagnosed 2013, recommended to eat eat well by diabetes nurse, couldn’t lose any weight, tried low carb high fat, and immediately lost 6.5 pounds, 2 pounds off my first stone, weightwatchers told me ‘don’t lose too much weight, diabetic nurses don’t like it(!) I am so pleased I found this site, will keep up what I am doing.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks Guys
I havent started it yet ! :D looking for advice on the best way of starting the journey to getting rid of approx 130lbs and getting towards treating Diabeties, not just the symptoms ...
Since you are an insulin user, it is important that you keep your doctor aware of such a change of diet, and ask them about the possibility that you may need to reduce medication doses, especially if going full keto. Make sure you are hypo aware too. I presume you have access to a bgl meter and test strips.

The LCHF is a useful diet in that it can be keto, but equally it is also effective without taking the carbs that low. If you start with a carb target of 100 g per day, then gradually reduce it then there will come a switching point where it becomes keto, but without the sudden shock and keto flu that some experience, It will also allow you to monitor your bgl response to the diet, and adjust meds gently. I do not myself use insulin, but I did use this approach, and it worked well for me,

The website that many use here for LCHF is https://www.dietdoctor.com , and there is also the Low Carb training module available from the home page of this site. There is also a hypo awareness training module too which I found extremely useful. I did not use any books myself, but there are many now available. There is also a very active LC thread running on this forum that is probably worth researching.

frankbegbie

Hi first posting, just sayin.......4 weeks into lchf, type 2 diabetes, diagnosed 2013, recommended to eat eat well by diabetes nurse, couldn’t lose any weight, tried low carb high fat, and immediately lost 6.5 pounds, 2 pounds off my first stone, weightwatchers told me ‘don’t lose too much weight, diabetic nurses don’t like it(!) I am so pleased I found this site, will keep up what I am doing.
What is that exactly?
What are you eating?
Lifestyle?
Exercise?

frankbegbie

Had enough after today.
Back on to my normal diet starting tomorrow.
I have to find out if I can have more energy and less aching legs, with 'normal' food.
If I see no change after a few weeks I might give it another go.

paline

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Bananas
Ok so I'll start doing more testing late at night.
But I don't see what more I can do as far as my diet is concerened.
If I eat any less I may as well be on a low fat low calorie diet from the 70s.

Done that many times and it doesn't work long term.
After watching Fong's video's and reading his book, I thought it was the answer to all my dreams.
Eat enough to be satified and not hungry a couple of hours later.
Bring your blood glucose level down and lose loads of weight.
I know from this forum that plenty of people say it works.
But for me, right at this moment it seems like a load of ********.
So depressed with it. Trying my best and getting nowhere.

I'll stop the drink on Saturday and test more.
But if nothing changes in 2 weeks time I'll be going back to the foods I enjoyed eating before I discovered I was type2.

I see no sense in feeling miserable and having no energy all the time.
If you want to loose weigh then you need to consume less calories than you are burning! Try logging your daily food and drink intake on myfittnesspal it an eye opener to start to understand foods/portions/calories/nutrients in everything you are eating and drinking.
Drink more water is also good advice (2 -3 litres a day)
It really can work and remember you can eat plenty of vegetables to keep you feeling full and healthy.
Also I found it useful to read the '8 week blood sugar diet" by Dr Michael Mosley.
Good luck

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Calories in calories out doesn't work for me. Carbs I gain, fat I lose. That's me. Carbs also raise bs for me. That's just me. My hubby needs less fat and a few more healthy carbs. We all have to find our own balance to feel healthy, energetic and keep our meters happy. I of course am a proponent of low carb as my bg and stomach demand it but my hubby would feel very unhealthy on my diet.

All the same , carbs raise bs the most. Find your tolerance and the TYPE of carbs as they are certainly not created equal. I.e., asparagus vs porridge.

woodywhippet61

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Had enough after today.
I have to find out if I can have more energy and less aching legs, with 'normal' food.
Hope that you start to feel better soon.

kokhongw

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Had enough after today.

Sorry to hear that it hasn't worked out for you despite your best effort. Hopefully you will find a suitable low insulin diet that can help you reach your goal. And be able to share your success here.

Reactions: AloeSvea

RFSMarch

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks for that. I don't want to give up on the diet.
I just need a little bit of encouragement from all the big changes I've made to my eating habits.
Just a few pounds in weight loss is all it would take and it would give me the motivation to carry on with things and get even more determined.
But it's just not happening at the moment and all the stories about how different people are losing weight so easily is making me feel like you know what.

I am curious... Is weight loss your only motivation? I ask because last night I caught up with a mate who like many here has had pretty meh advice from their healthcare professionals (e.g. Looking only at sugar content of food and not carb content, because they're told to cut out sugar). They have lost weight, and in many ways they are doing the right kind of things, and progress is downwards.

But the one thing that gave me a little hope in their situation was that they were looking at the bigger picture. They told me they had rejoined a gym but it was frustrating because a lot of gyms look at the short term goal - where do you want to be in x month's time. They argued back that what we are doing is a lifestyle change, not a quick term win.

I initially avoided LC because i had high everything. So my immediate goal was STABILISE. I had already dropped a ton of weight before my diagnosis, so for me weigh loss has stabilized (some would say stalled?) but... I almost halved my A1C and my FBG was close to normal in three months.

Have I lost weight... no. Have I come closer to healthier levels of BG, yes.

I only have two weeks left at home, before I am away with no way of controlling what I get fed and when I can eat so I am about to look at trying to have at least one low carb meal a day.

Do I hope it means I will start to lose weight on a more gradual and manageable scale - yes I hope so.
But still for me the motivation is to get my BG level down. I firmly believe everything else will follow.

I think you have been given some great advice here...and I would also say maybe reduce portion sizes, log what you are eating and definitely test your BG on a regular basis.

I really hope you find your motivation. All the best.

Reactions: kokhongw

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
I combined LC Healthy Fat with restricted calorie intake Lost weight controlled BG and went from 3XL clothing down to medium draw back have had to buy all new clothes.

But what I did would not be the correct thing for every body.

The thing is going back to the old life style would definitely have an adverse result. So all I can say is don't revert find something that does work for you and stick to it.

Kentoldlady1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Had enough after today.

But wasn't it your normal food and normal diet that meant you had to come here in the first place?

Might I suggest that you keep a very very accurate diary. Not only should you write down everything, including the bits of cheese, the odd biscuit etc but also your bgl and appropriate times.
In addition, record your energy levels, stress levels, sleep pattern and mood. Record any illness, even just a cold.

You may be right and you need to return to a cab heavy diet to feel well again. But it would be useful to understand just how you feel after you eat certain foods. Do some carbs make you feel good? Do some foods help you sleep? Do some situations require more energy rich foods than maybe they should?

Our diet and our bgl are affected by many factors and they all interlink. A good diary can help you see when you feel better/worse and not just u.derstand bgl.

Good luck with it all. Please let us know how you get on

frankbegbie

I've had over a week on a 'normal' diet and it worked straight away as far as energy levels and my aching legs were concerned.
But my Blood Glucose level; has gone way up to 11.7 the last time I measured it 2 hours after a meal. It was averaging around 7.5 when on the diet.
So it looks like I have to give the LCHF diet another try.
Hoping the 'Flu' symtoms don't last as long this time.

Not looking forward to it but I have no real alternative.

Reactions: TIANDB

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've had over a week on a 'normal' diet and it worked straight away as far as energy levels and my aching legs were concerned.
But my Blood Glucose level; has gone way up to 11.7 the last time I measured it 2 hours after a meal. It was averaging around 7.5 when on the diet.
So it looks like I have to give the LCHF diet another try.
Hoping the 'Flu' symtoms don't last as long this time.

Not looking forward to it but I have no real alternative.

Can I please ask very respectfully that you take some measurements of weight and waist size before you start and start to keep a food diary where you record everything you eat and drink. Then we can maybe give you a bit more assistance. I realise that if you don't have a slightly OCD personality that this can be a right pain .. but it really does help not only to know what you have consumed but also makes you far more aware of what you put in your gob... which is quite important. As always just my opinion... but I have been there.

Reactions: lovinglife