Bleeding after injecting insulin

Ixarix

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, tonight after injecting my insulin, I'm using lantus at the moment, I started bleed after I removed the needle. I may have put the needle a bit deep, I was using a site on my stomach. This hasn't happened before. I'm still new to treating my diabetes, it has only been three or four weeks now since diagnosis , and am concerned that some of the insulin may have leaked out while I was bleeding. I put a Kleenex over the site immediately and stopped the bleeding so hopefully most of it stayed in. I know enough not give myself a second dose. Any advice?

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes, a bit of insulin probably did leak out. It's not really anything to worry about.

You probably just caught a blood vessel, just a little cappillary in the skin. That's nothing to do with how deep the needle goes.

If you think you can go "too deep" with your needle, what size needle are you using? Have you been shown how to use it? Because with a 4mm you just stick the whole thing in, right to the hilt, there is no too deep.

Reactions: Ixarix and ickihun

karen8967

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
This happens to me from time to time also i have a little row of bruises across my stomach but its nothing to worry about what i find with the lantus though is that it stings .yet my apidra doesnt .

Reactions: Ixarix

lou258

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
This happens to me from time to time also i have a little row of bruises across my stomach but its nothing to worry about what i find with the lantus though is that it stings .yet my apidra doesnt .

I’m the same. I guessed it’s because (typically) my lantus is a larger dose than my fast acting (I’m on novorapid). Or maybe it’s just a stingy sort of thing anyway! ;)

Ann1982

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I always manage to get some lovely bruises. I can’t use my arms in the summer or I’d look like a battered wife! My husband had to suffer because of it, nurses came to remove his stitches in his legs and they thought he was hitting me because of the bruises and they were kind of rough with him till I noticed and explained!

Reactions: Dodo

karen8967

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I always manage to get some lovely bruises. I can’t use my arms in the summer or I’d look like a battered wife! My husband had to suffer because of it, nurses came to remove his stitches in his legs and they thought he was hitting me because of the bruises and they were kind of rough with him till I noticed and explained!
ive only tried my arms twice and bruises lasted 2/3 weeks so now i tend to stick to stomach thighs and bum :eek::D

karen8967

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@karen8967 and @lou258 - There are a few threads of Lantus stinging. (I just did a forum search with "lantus, pain, stinging" in the search bar, if you're interested)
just had alittle look and the lantus seems to sting most people on it but seems to agree with me so will hang fire with it :arghh:

Reactions: lou258

lou258

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
ive only tried my arms twice and bruises lasted 2/3 weeks so now i tend to stick to stomach thighs and bum :eek::D

I wasn’t told about injecting in arm. Would be handy when wearing a dress at my desk and won’t want to wander off to loos! Is it just in fatty bit (bingo wing so to speak!)?

Reactions: karen8967

Cliodb

Type of diabetes
Type 1
This happens to me with my teojeo which i inject into my thigh, never had a bleeding after my novoraipid in my stomach. I have found leaving the needle in my leg for like 20/30 seconds and then very slowly removing it, stop it from bleeding.

SimonCrox

@karen8967 and @lou258 - There are a few threads of Lantus stinging. (I just did a forum search with "lantus, pain, stinging" in the search bar, if you're interested)

I think it is to do with the slow release mechanism of lantus.
Most insulins are same acidity/alkalinity (pH) as humans ( about 7.4); Lantus is made to be insoluble at human pH and needs to be slightly acidic to dissolve. So the lantus injection is a slightly acidic solution to keep it soluble, and then in human tissue it is neutralised to human pH at which the Lantus is insoluble; it then slowly dissolves, hence its slow action. In the past, some of the Zinc insulins eg Humulin Z used to sting a bit cos of the large amount of zinc, they said, but I am not sure about this. Other insulins are human pH and this might be why they are less likely to sting
Best wishes

Reactions: lou258
D

Deleted Account

I wasn’t told about injecting in arm. Would be handy when wearing a dress at my desk and won’t want to wander off to loos! Is it just in fatty bit (bingo wing so to speak!)?
Yes - just like when you inject in your tummy or thighs, you should inject into the fatty part of your arms.
Might be worth practising at home before you try at your desk as it takes a bit of dexterity to reach and inject.

Reactions: Dodo and lou258

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Arms are an option, a good one if wearing a dress. The back of the arm is best as you say the bingo wing bit.
The important thing to remember is that you don't want to inject into muscle, this creates a faster uptake of insulin and can result in unexpected lows.:)

TheBigNewt

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The bleeding thing happens. And it's unlikely any insulin "leaked out" either. A little blood leaked out. I have injected 25 units of Lantus every morning for years and it rarely happens. More likely to happen with my smaller mealtime bolus injection. Don't worry about it. Use shortest pen needle they make too.

Zydeker

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, tonight after injecting my insulin, I'm using lantus at the moment, I started bleed after I removed the needle. I may have put the needle a bit deep, I was using a site on my stomach. This hasn't happened before. I'm still new to treating my diabetes, it has only been three or four weeks now since diagnosis , and am concerned that some of the insulin may have leaked out while I was bleeding. I put a Kleenex over the site immediately and stopped the bleeding so hopefully most of it stayed in. I know enough not give myself a second dose. Any advice?
For years now I have used a mirror when I inject my Lantus so that I can see where the veins are, otherwise I can bleed like a stuck Pig.

Ixarix

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes, a bit of insulin probably did leak out. It's not really anything to worry about.

You probably just caught a blood vessel, just a little cappillary in the skin. That's nothing to do with how deep the needle goes.

If you think you can go "too deep" with your needle, what size needle are you using? Have you been shown how to use it? Because with a 4mm you just stick the whole thing in, right to the hilt, there is no too deep.
It is the 4mm. I was shown how to use it. No one mentioned anything about small bleeding sometimes happening. So it caught me off guard. It was the first time it happened to me last night.

TheBigNewt

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
There are quite a few little blood vessels running thought the fat layer under the abdominal skin. You probably hit one with the needle. In surgery you use an electrocautery pen thing to zap 'em or they'll drive you nuts.

Ixarix

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
than
just had alittle look and the lantus seems to sting most people on it but seems to agree with me so will hang fire with it :arghh:
I've noticed a little stinging here and there. I is nothing compare to the anti clotting shots I got while I was in the hospital. Those were killers.