Freestyle Libre sensor Help

mkzp123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Guys

Need some help or advice if possible, My 9 Year old son has type 1 diabetes and we have purchased the Freestyle Libre however we are issues with the sensor getting loose and peeling off usually after 2 - 3 days time. The guys at abbot have been really helpful but was wondering if anyone has the same issues or have experienced this and what was done to rectify the fault, My son is very active and does not know if this affects the sensor. Any help and advice will be highly appreciated.
Thanking anyone in advance for any response and advice.

Jason_Avoneg

I place some surgical tape over mine, the fabric type, I think it's elastitape or something, try that and see how you get on.

PW1

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Guys

Need some help or advice if possible, My 9 Year old son has type 1 diabetes and we have purchased the Freestyle Libre however we are issues with the sensor getting loose and peeling off usually after 2 - 3 days time.

I found the stretch elastic wrist support ‘bandage’ that you buy from a chemist is useful (tubigrip or similar). I tend to cut a piece long enough to stretch for a few inches above and below the sensor and wear it for several hours immediately after attaching the sensor and also overnight. This seems to help the glue stick better. Sometimes I wear the stretch support thing on my arm during the day, especially if I have long sleeves.

Hope you find something that works.

Reactions: EllieM

barrym

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I use a C-view dressing. Initially recommended by Abbott when I had a trial, and available on prescription. I use the 10cm x 12cm size.

I also punch a small hole through the middle so it doesn't cover the hole in the sensor. Suggested by Abbott help desk once in conversation.

Never had an adhesive issue. Almost the opposite, a bit stubborn to remove!!

mytype1.life

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I use skin coloured Rock Tape, ordered online (Amazon I think) and haven't had any problems with it.

kaylz91

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I used tegaderm over mine and 1 patch of that over it has lasted the 2 weeks x

Reactions: markastin
D

Diabeticliberty

You might want to possibly give some consideration to where the sensor is being fixed. If it right at the back of the arm then disregard this post but if you are fitting it nearer the front and your little chap is active, as most 9 year olds are then perhaps he is more prone to knocking it which might serve to dislodge it. Mine usually start to unglue themselves after approximately 9 days. I am not however 9 years old although if you listen to most of my friends they all tend to suggest that I act like I am :)

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Have found a variation. One wouldn't come off and brought skin off with it, another needed tape. I give the area a very good wipe and leave to dry a while.
Think others suggestions for covering with elastic support would be great for a 9 year old. With the best will in the world, a normal active 9 year old must find keeping this on unscathed very difficult.
On a side note Opti Flexifix is brilliant for swimming. An hours hard swim and all still dry and in place.

Wurst

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Narcissistic forum members
I've recently been on vacation where I was running every morning, causing profuse sweating due to the heat. In the afternoon I was on the beach and swimming.

I used one these and it just about held on the sensor for the week :-

https://www.diasticker.de/freestyle-libre/tapes/

Towards the end of the holiday it was starting to peel off so I had to apply some emergency surgical tape

mkzp123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks to everyone who has responded
I appreciate all the advice & info

markastin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I used tegaderm over mine and 1 patch of that over it has lasted the 2 weeks x

Same tegaderm is good, also get some lift plus spray then when removing the tegaderm just peel up a corner and squirt lift plus down, releases the adhesive and makes it painless!

Reactions: EllieM

kaylz91

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Same tegaderm is good, also get some lift plus spray then when removing the tegaderm just peel up a corner and squirt lift plus down, releases the adhesive and makes it painless!
Wish you'd posted this yesterday before I removed mine!! Lol :) x

Reactions: markastin

markastin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Wish you'd posted this yesterday before I removed mine!! Lol :) x

Sorry! I get my lift plus on prescription cause I use it remove my omnipod pumps too! It is unbelievable stuff, also baby oil after can reduce irritation and help preserve sites! (Bieng a bloke I maybe shouldn't admit to using baby oil)

Reactions: kaylz91

Diabetic4Life

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I use skin coloured Rock Tape, ordered online (Amazon I think) and haven't had any problems with it.
How has the Rock Tape worked for you? My husband was told about it and I am interested in ordering it, but I wanted to know how it has worked for others. Also, do you get the pre-cut patches or just the tape? Thank you for your help!

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
How has the Rock Tape worked for you? My husband was told about it and I am interested in ordering it, but I wanted to know how it has worked for others. Also, do you get the pre-cut patches or just the tape? Thank you for your help!
Rock Tape will send a couple of samples to try. Just have a look on their website x