DN and dietician tell me to eat more carbs!

Katethomas925

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I had an joint appointment with a diabetes nurse and dietician recently. My HbA1c has been about 7-7.5 for the past couple of years, so not terrible, but I suffer from really bad swings from very low to very high. I;ve been trying to stabilize these with a low carb diet and it has definitely helped. That it, I'm MUCH more stable when I don't eat carbs. I won't claim to be completely carb free, I just choose carbs very carefully and avoid as much as possible, as otherwise I'm just firefighting. They are just too unpredictable. I also admitted to the two that I'd had quite a bad hyp in the past year, which needed a paramedic visit - first ond only time in nearly 30 years as a T1D. Anyway, discussing all this, and the fact that I live alone and was a bit worried about another bad hypo, they said I should eat MORE carbs. I tried to explain that that really does not work for me, but they kept insisting. From their reasoning, I concluded that they are more concerned about not having a hospital admission due to a hypo on their books than me having swinging BGs and hence worse long-term outcomes. I use the Freestyle Libre, so I know quite well what's going on, but they could not advise me what to do, other than eat loads of carbs, increase insulin, to avoid a one-in-30-year bad hypo! Anyone else had to fight with their HCPs to continue a low-carb diet?? I'm continuing it anyway their advice is shockingly outdated.

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@Katethomas925. Your post seems to suggest that you are a more than capable T1 diabetic.
You are under no obligation to change your diet, if you are happy with your diet then stick with it.
One bad hypo and your DN and dietician feel the need to change everything is ludicrous.
If you were having frequent hypos and were obviously not able to control your diabetes, then yes a change to your management would be something to be discussed.
Remember..... No one knows diabetes like a diabetic.
Express your confidence, point out that the vast majority of insulin dependent diabetics go low/ hypo daily and weekly, it's what we live with.
Don't be bullied, your life for you to live your way and obviously you're doing a **** good job.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @Katethomas925 ,

Welcome to the forum.

The "mantra" I get on that subject is "more carbs" as an answer...? I've heard the same thing since 1976..

I'm not completely carb free with my diet either... Just keeping it simple in an otherwise hectic world outside of diabetes. ;)

Great to see you here!

Reactions: therower

TheBigNewt

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
One paramedic event in 30 yrs is pretty darn good IMO. Wish I could say the same (but I can't). Sounds like you have a pretty good grasp on things wrt the carbs and all. I eat carbs, but I pick and choose. I'm kind of afraid to take 5-6U Novorapid and not have any carbs. Question: when you crashed and burned last year, were you wearing the Libre? And if so didn't it sort of warn you ahead of time? Or did it happen while asleep. One thing I don't like about the Libre is it will not alert you via cell phone if you're headed low, like Dexcom will.

Katethomas925

Type of diabetes
Type 1
One paramedic event in 30 yrs is pretty darn good IMO. Wish I could say the same (but I can't). Sounds like you have a pretty good grasp on things wrt the carbs and all. I eat carbs, but I pick and choose. I'm kind of afraid to take 5-6U Novorapid and not have any carbs. Question: when you crashed and burned last year, were you wearing the Libre? And if so didn't it sort of warn you ahead of time? Or did it happen while asleep. One thing I don't like about the Libre is it will not alert you via cell phone if you're headed low, like Dexcom will.

Yes, i was on the libre then, have been since it was launched over here. It happened after I got up, had breakfast, did not take insulin, as I knew I was already low and heading lower, so I ate a lot of carbs! Next thing, there was a drip in my hand and a paramedic staring at me. Lucky I was at my parents' for the weekend; otherwise, who knows.... thanks for the support - going to stick to my guns!

Reactions: therower

Jeff.T1DU

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Your goal is the same as mine - health. I think you hit the nail on the head - from many doctors' perspective, short and long-term complications from high BG is much more acceptable than hypos.

Continue to do what you know is right for your health. I highly recommend Dr. Bernstein's "Diabetes Solution" for those who want to pursue a low carbohydrate diet. He will give you a quite an education, which means that you'll be able to have much more informed conversations with your doctors and nutritionists.

Personally, we just had to switch endocrinologists, and our first visit went very well for two reasons: you can't argue with results (and Dr. B's protocol works exceptionally well), and I was able to address their concerns about lows.

Wish you all the best!

Reactions: Katethomas925