Abbott Freestyle Libre Out of Stock

scarfmad

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,

I just wondered if anyone else was having a problem, just tried ordering a Freestyle Libre sensor and when you click checkout, it states currently out of stock.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Could it be Chemists getting them into stock in preparation for them being NHS approved from 1 November?

D

Diabeticliberty

Hi,

I just wondered if anyone else was having a problem, just tried ordering a Freestyle Libre sensor and when you click checkout, it states currently out of stock.

Sorry this has nothing to do with your post but I just had to comment on your avatar. I think it is absolutely brilliant :)

Jason_Avoneg

I just have had 5 delivered, though ordered on Sunday evening. Perhaps the NHS has bought a bucket load in prep for 1st November and beyond...I doubt it though.

Copernicus

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I doubt the NHS has bought a huge supply, from what I can gather, they have no intention of supplying it.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Maybe the increased publicity following the announcement that the NHS may supply to T1s, has increased public awareness and demand amongst those of us who self-fund.

Need to order some myself. :)

markastin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Still have to have individual cases passed by your gp for funding even after they become a prescription item! Awareness I think will be the reason for them running out of stock. I'll be ordering myself tomorrow!

ECDRUM

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Out off stock again! Not good enough. This is a great system and if you get into intensive management of your glucose (which this allows) it is unacceptable to be unable to get hold of the sensors. Great product. Dreadful supply chain management. pity there is no viable and affordable alternative.

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
Its going to get worst as the FDA USA has just approved the Libre as well

My son works there, they make 80k of them a day and are just about to open a line in Ireland to double production. They do have a few batches fail at test, making that batch run a "bin" run, so then they do run behind for a day or so. But I have seen on a few Libre forums that people have had their order on hold for a week or so and that is since the NHS have started to prescribe them in certain ares

NewTD2

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
If I had the investment, I would have developed a competitor and sell it much cheaper / more affordable for all patients.

Nicola M

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I ordered some new sensors a good 3 weeks ago and am only just getting them delivered because they had low stock. As someone who heavily relies on this system, it's disappointing when they are out of stock.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Phoned the local Asda Pharmacy. They don't keep them in stock but they order immediately and get them in next day!! I've been waiting 3 weeks so far for my order from Abbott. ASDA are charging £44 Vat free per sensor which is cheaper than Abbott. Just have to fill in the Vat exemption form.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Phoned the local Asda Pharmacy. They don't keep them in stock but they order immediately and get them in next day!! I've been waiting 3 weeks so far for my order from Abbott. ASDA are charging £44 Vat free per sensor which is cheaper than Abbott. Just have to fill in the Vat exemption form.
I've emailed Boots as well to find out their procedure and I'm going to nip into my local chemist and ask them (although I suspect they'll be more costly).

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Cheaper at my local chemist than Abbot. It is where I get all my medication, and after a discussion with him, he said no worries I’ll get them for you. It stands to reason that now they are available on the NHS (hark, do I hear howls of laughter?) that Abbot will supply them quicker to NHS outlets than the private purchaser. It is the only way that they can justify the arrangement. Go nag your usual chemist.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Got a reply from Boots CS but no further forward other than speak to the local Boots pharmacy.

Thank you for contacting us regarding the Freestyle Libre Scanning System, I am sorry you have experienced issues in trying to procure this item.

I would advise that the item requires ordering in specially by the Pharmacy team, however the availability of the item does depend on the local NHS trust. This may be why you have encountered issues trying to locate this in your local area, but it has been available elsewhere. The only suggestion we can currently make is speaking to pharmacists or possibly even the NHS locally.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Abbott are still churning out standard replies. My order with Abbott has been showing as 'Picked' for more than 1 week now and the 30 days are up next Friday. I got 2 from ADSA and the pharmacy told me it is maximum 2 days for them to get them so I guess I won't be bothering with Abbott again. Their Facebook page is flooded with complaints. It really doesn't make sense for them to treat self funding customers this way. I find it really puzzling. Anyway , here's their reply to me. What a joke.

"Thank you for contacting Abbott Diabetes Care.

We are extremely sorry to hear that you are waiting for your order that long.

We have been informed that your order is in 'Picked' status and is ready for the dispatch, so it is currently being prioritized and should be dispatched shortly. Unfortunately, we cannot confirm the exact delivery date. Please note that the estimated delivery time of 5-7 working days is from the moment of dispatch.

Please kindly note that according to our Terms and Conditions (Page 4, Section 16) the delivery might take up to 30 calendar days from the moment of placing an order.

We are thankful for your patience, and we are doing our best to reduce the delay."