Police and hypo and dvla

hazyclaire

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
So pleased for you, what a relief! I have certainly been a lot more careful since reading your post so thank you for sharing your experience.

franclegg

Type of diabetes
Type 1
6yrs ago i had a very bad hypo at the wheel which nearky killed me and put me in the hospital for 3 months.
I was questioned by the police once i had been released and they put the incident down as an "accident" - they were fully aware of all the details. They never once told me they would inform the DVLA. I was never told to inform the DVLA. I am assuming my consultant did this on my behalf.
I never had to inform them of anything until my license was due for renewal 12 months later.
It might be worth speaking to the police force involved and asking them what they do/say regarding the incident.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
So had you actually gone hypo whilst driving?

I am absolutely staggered that so many people have viewed this posting....I hope it has helped people to be more aware of what possibilitys can happen whilst driving and the impact it can have on the person and others involved.

I for one, bever want to go through anything like those few months of hell again. I still remember all of it so vividly, and would hate for others to go through it...or worse...

jopar

I completely staggered by the amount of people who seem to be totally unaware of the responsibities they have with there driving licences...

If you start to lose your hypo awareness then you have to stop driving and inform the DVLA it is YOUR responsibility to do this, not your DSN,GP, Consultants or even the police's duty to do so..

It's the same for any licence holder..

It's your responsiblity to inform the DVLA of any medical condition diganosed or changes to prexisting medical condition that effect your ability to drive or hold a driving licence..

I'm also dismayed by the amout of diabetics who are stupid enough to continual driving when they know their lack of hypo awareness is too dangerous to drive with or take basic precaution to ensure to their best ability/knowledge they are save to drive...

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
We learn from others too, knowing that 5000+ have looked at this means that we aren't all perfect.

Roche have just sent out with their magazine a survey on driving and asking whether HCP'sa advise about DVLA, etc-if everybody was always perfect, and always told etc...Roche would not be sending out a survey......probably to try and get more people to test and use their machines.....but if they have to ask questions as on this survey...then I think and know that we aren't all made perfect...

mel2048

I know exactly how you feel... 2 weeks ago with my children in the car with me, I passed out having a hypo! The police were called as I drove (only doing approx 5mph) into 2 cars and a tree!!! The paramedics were also called and my 7yr old told them I was a diabetic. My sugar level was 1.3!!!!!!!!!
I had tested at 5 only an hour before and had left my GP literally 15 minutes before!!!
I am so angry with myself! I have self imposed a driving ban and I am seeing my consultant on Thursday and will see what he says!
I have been type 1 for 21 years and driving for 17 years with not 1 problem!!!

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Oh Mel

So sorry to hear of your incident.

I too had tested 50 mins before my incident almost 3 years ago. I had stopped and was helping myself to chocs, when driver who had been behind me interfered. I did not lose my licence, but it puts your mind in hell!!

I lived in a quite rural place in Wales and transport was useless. It would have taken 4 buses and almost 4 hours to get to hospital.. And no way of getting back. I was trying to prepare for lising it.

We have since moved... Especially to a town where there is excellent public transport and local large shops by foot.

Have you informed dvla yet? If you dont the police will..

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
How are you and the kids now?

Did the police tell you that you should inform the dvla? Or that they would?

So when you came out from the doctors and got into car again for the last part of your drive? This little bit concerns me because... When dvla tell you to test everytime you get behind the wheel to drive .... That is what everyone should be doing... Even if you did get in the car less than the two hour retest time that they state if driving...

I thought about this seriously today actually.. I had finished work and dropped off to garden cente... Was in there less than 20 mins, so hadnt been driving for more than 2hours... However... Since my incident I always test again, because I think that if I was involved in any nondiabetic crash... As soon as police looked up whether I had a valud driving licence and would see I was diabetic and make things more lengthy for me....

I think it is wise to test, test, test even if getting out and in again within minutes...

Its so sad to hear of your incident...