Low Carb Tins of Soup

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
The baxters chef selections range look VERY nice.

I can make my own soap and will start to do so as winter arrives, but they need to be frozen or kept in the fridge, but tin soaps have no storage issues so can go anywhere with me, they also keep forever so are a good thing to have in store.

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Glad you got a mention of Baxter soups in there in your post #6, @Bluetit1802 !

Ena Baxter and her kids are titans of the soup world.

Apropos of which, may I present their:

"Beef Consomme with Cask Aged Sherry", 1.2% carbs or 4.8 per 400g tin.

http://www.baxters.com/product/beef-consomme-with-cask-aged-sherry

Pretty good on it's own, but I sometimes use it as a base for a mock ramen: some tofu, prawns, chestnut mushrooms, etc. and you can then go either way on the noodles depending on your carb preferences.

Lovely soup, very deep flavours.
You might like to read this if you haven't already....
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/obituaries/11357910/Ena-Baxter-soup-entrepreneur-obituary.html

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks everyone for the suggestions, looks like all is not lost in my desire for soup. Before diagnosis I used to like the Baxter's Hearty range, but at 37.6g of carbs in a tin of Butternut Squash, Sweet Potato Soup, Chilli & Lime Soup that's no longer an option!

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
What will that soap be like if you mixed it 50:50 with double cream, then added a little water and therefore made it last for a few meals?

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
What will that soap be like if you mixed it 50:50 with double cream, then added a little water and therefore made it last for a few meals?
If this is a reply to me then unfortunately "making it last" is not a concept I am comfortable with, hence the need to find soups where I can eat the whole tin. :)

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
Asda Broccoli and Stilton soup (in a carton) is nice - only 6.7g of carbs per half a carton - so not so bad if you consume the whole carton.

https://groceries.asda.com/product/soup/asda-broccoli-stilton-soup/36107

I've tried broccoli and stilton soups (in cartons) from other supermarkets and they have all been reasonable carb levels and are nice tasting... but so is home made which is very easy - just a bag of frozen broccoli cooked until soft in some chicken stock (I use one of those stock pots) then crumble in the stilton then either liquidise or use one of those hand blenders to whizz until smooth.

derry60

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Rudeness,people being unkind
I still do this, just in case there is a new one. So we are both saddos.
I would love to find one that wasn't all water.
Oh so do I Bluetit. I sit and go online and look at products to seen how many carbs and sugars there are lol...It is my fav pass time he he

derry60

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I make my own. Chicken and spices such as chili,7 spice Chinese powder, lime, little sesame oil, veg stock cube, greens,celery, baby corn just 3 (Baby corn does not spike me) Green beans Onion, Garlic and ginger..Yummy

Reactions: Prem51

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I make my own. Chicken and spices such as chili,7 spice Chinese powder, lime, little sesame oil, veg stock cube, greens,celery, baby corn just 3 (Baby corn does not spike me) Green beans Onion, Garlic and ginger..Yummy

I am no cook. I avoid the kitchen at cooking time. I did try my own French Onion soup last year, and made enough to feed an army. It was very good but raised me about the same as a tin would have - and I made an unholy mess in the kitchen. I doubt I'll try again.

derry60

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I am no cook. I avoid the kitchen at cooking time. I did try my own French Onion soup last year, and made enough to feed an army. It was very good but raised me about the same as a tin would have - and I made an unholy mess in the kitchen. I doubt I'll try again.
Awww you can use spring onion instead of normal onions. Found some cuppa soups Bachelors slimmer soups chicken and leek,and veg..Just something to have which is quick and comforting. Low carb also and sugar not bad

Reactions: Bluetit1802

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I was yearning for carrot and coriander soup after reading this thread. I found a recipe and adapted it. I took out the potato, put less stock in and added cream and flaxseeds to keep it thicker. Worked out at 5.3g carbs per portion :hungry:

Reactions: ringi

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
One risk with soup is that when we blend them, we make it quicker for our bodies to adsorb the carbs, hence a higher GI then if we just cooked the veg in the normal way.

Reactions: Sweet_Sophie

Kentoldlady1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I have just found a cully and sully soup that is 2.4 grms per 100 ml. There is 400 ml per carton. I had the chicken and veg one and it was delicious.

Now just waiting to find out that I have misread the packaging!

Reactions: Prem51

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Bought a soup maker - best piece of equipment in the kitchen - bung it all in, switch it on...20 mins later soup ! I'm a lazy and disinterested cook but it still tastes great !
How does it differ from a saucepan?