Dousan Miao

Type of diabetes
Researcher
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hello!
I am a product design researcher from Brunel University. I would like to identify exsisting problems on the current design of the glucosemeter and redesign it. Please note that core technology of the glucosemeter cannot be changed as it its under FDA regulations (e.g. making the process non-invasive)

PART 1: SURVEY
Please take 1 minute to complete this survey!

https://www.surveymonkey.co.uk/r/YDNQSWH

PART 2: SHARE YOUR EXPERIENCE
Feel free to share any ideas or experience you had that you think can be solved in a redesign.Try to think about the user experience of the process, here are a few example areas you can look into:
  1. Do you feel clumsy carrying all these devices?
  2. Do you carry AAA batteries around becasue your glucosemeter run out of batteries sometimes?
  3. Are the buttons on your glucose meter confusing to use?

Last edited by a moderator:

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Hi @Dousan Miao - interesting survey. I have to call you out on a couple of things though. Your question seven is more relevant to Type 2 than Type 1 (even though we know about the law of small numbers), and question eight should really have an "I don't mind" option.

I'd be interested to understand your experience of using these types of devices, as your secondary questions assume a number of things that I wouldn't expect those with use experience of these meters would ask.

Have you done any kind of evaluation of a range of meters that are currently on the market to review the variety (and it's quite wide) of what's on offer? If not, I'd suggest you check out an Ascensia Contour Next One, an Accuchek Aviva Expert, an Accuchek Nano, a Dario and an Abbott Insulinx as a starter set. There are many, many more but these are some of the common ones, and you'll see that they encompass many different design features.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Done,

Firstly for most people with Type2 they need to test often, to begin with, to learn what food they can eat, and then don't need to test match. Hence the meter is a learning tool, unlike with Type1 (and a few Type2) when the meter is used to decide how much insulin to take.

A meter someone is given on day one and told how to use (before meals, 2hr after meal, learn what not to eat) is of a lot more benefits then a "better" meter they don't get for a few weeks.

The best improvement to the meter I have would be to have a copy of the leaflets from https://phcuk.org/sugar/ included in the case, along with a booklet on how to use the meter to learn what to eat/drink.

Cheaper the meter + test strips is to the NHS more people will be allowed one, hence only a redesign that reduces cost would benefit most people with type2.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Do you carry AAA batteries around becasue your glucosemeter run out of batteries sometimes?
I don’t know about other meters but my Code Free uses one CR2032 flat disc type battery, so a spare fits in the meter case very easily.

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I don't even have a spare battery as the meter will warn me when it is getting low, and I can then order a new one. As I use the meter to learn what I can eat, my life does not depend on it working all the time......

After all, if needed Amazon would get a new meter to me in under one day wherever I am likely to be in the world.

Kentoldlady1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Done. As already said, t1s and insulin using t2s use the metre for different things. I dont use it as much now as I did even a couple of weeks ago, and wanted to put meals and end of day etc, but couldn't. It is not really a big deal if I go out for a meal without it.
And I find the metre very easy to use. It would be the core things I would want to change. And to be available on prescription. I am lucky and can afford it, but it does work out very expensive.

D

Deleted member 308541

• Do you feel clumsy carrying all these devices?
  • Do you carry AAA batteries around becasue your glucosemeter run out of batteries sometimes?
  • Are the buttons on your glucose meter confusing to use?
1: No.
2: I have a packet of 2032 batteries in my meter case.
3: No, how can you get confused with two buttons on the Freedom Lite meter.

I did the survey for what it's worth.

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@Dousan Miao isnt Brunel university a university in London? If so, why are you talking about FDA regulations, the Food and Drug Administration is a US regulatory body that doesn't regulate anything in the UK. Regulations concerning CE marks might be more applicable, if your redesign is going to be constrained by regulations it's probably worth checking what regulations...

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
1: No.
2: I have a packet of 2032 batteries in my meter case.
3: No, how can you get confused with two buttons on the Freedom Lite meter.

I did the survey for what it's worth.
Oh no! My meter has three buttons, how do I cope?! :wideyed::facepalm:

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
So does my Accu Chek Mobile - one to make it work and 2 direction arrows. Not rocket science.

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
My meter has 3 buttons, but to take a reading I just put a test strip in, the meter turns itself on and displays the result when I put the blood on. So for normal usage, there is no need for anyone to know what the buttons do.