Does anyone think that only calories from carbs can make you fat?

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
I really don't have many thoughts about it! To me personally, my PFT is where I think I look well, feel well, and have good blood markers whilst eating more or less what I want, with the exception of carbs apart from potatoes. (I do eat spuds in small portions).
I believe I am spot on, and where my body likes me to be as I haven't gained or lost any weight since losing it all 3 years ago, other than the usual small fluctuations.
Although I seem to have hit a plateau it is far too early to say yet at two weeks whether this will last but I do hope so.

Reactions: Bluetit1802

rockape37

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Over the top political correctness
Does anyone think that it is only calories coming from carbs that make you fat? I have been getting this impression from some of the threads.
It's the carbohydrates.
You still need cafbs but no harm with reducing them but speak to a nutritionist before you take any drastic action.

All foods have a calorific value.

A calorie is a measurement used to calculate the energy of a given food.

Regards

Martin

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
It's the carbohydrates.
You still need cafbs but no harm with reducing them but speak to a nutritionist before you take any drastic action.

All foods have a calorific value.

A calorie is a measurement used to calculate the energy of a given food.

Regards

Martin

I so much don't want to answer this mate,
And there is a but coming along any time now........

Hi Martin,

......but, whilst it is true we do need some carbs, if you need control of whichever type or condition, it's depends on your intolerance to those carbs.

For example, type one need carbs, how many is debatable.
Type two need to reduce the amount of carbs eaten. Debatable
Prediabetics need to cut back on carbs. Debatable
Type 3c, I'm not going there!

If you have Hypoglycaemia, or other metabolic conditions the carbs should be severely cut back because our pancreas works fine!

I could go on but these are a few examples.

If a dietician insisted I eat carbs, as been suggested to me, I would be dead from hyperinsulinaemia and severe symptoms.

One size does not fit all, and this is why, certain information should be treated with caution about how we are treated.

We agree about many things but this can be so confusing to newbies, when offering advice about carbs.

Hope I've tried to explain it without sounding like the low carb police!!

Reactions: TIANDB

rockape37

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
I'm only going to comment on the Hypoglycaemia part of your response. You definitely need carbs if you are having a hypo and this should be in soluble form and ifvyour next meal is more than an hour away it should be followed up with some slow acting carbs, bread fgor instance.

I must admit that I've never heard of hyperinsulinaemia.

Just to explain something further just in case some others aren't too sure. All foods have a calorific value (calories) for example and I'm not giving any calorific values for the following items as without searching this out I do not know but the foods I've chosen will clearly explain it.

100 grams in weight of lettuce and 100 grams in weight of potatoes.
Only one of these will cause you to gain weight if eaten in excess and that will be the potatoes.

Regards

Martin

Last edited:

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only

This is the condition afflicting most Type 2s because, unlike T1s who don't produce any insulin, most Type 2s produce too much. Most T2s are insulin resistant, therefore because the cells reject their insulin to a greater or lesser extent, the insulin can't push the glucose into the cells, so much of the glucose remains in the blood stream. In a frantic effort to clear this glucose, the pancreas secretes even more insulin, and then even more. The secret for T2s is to reduce the amount of circulating insulin, and the only way to do this is to reduce the amount of glucose by reducing carbs. We don't need carbs. Our livers produce sufficient glucose for the cells that need it (the brain and red blood cells mainly) Carbs = glucose = high levels of insulin = increased insulin resistance = higher levels of insulin.. High levels of circulating insulin cause as many health problems as high levels of glucose.

Reactions: kokhongw

rockape37

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
This is the condition afflicting most Type 2s because, unlike T1s who don't produce any insulin, most Type 2s produce too much. Most T2s are insulin resistant, therefore because the cells reject their insulin to a greater or lesser extent, the insulin can't push the glucose into the cells, so much of the glucose remains in the blood stream. In a frantic effort to clear this glucose, the pancreas secretes even more insulin, and then even more. The secret for T2s is to reduce the amount of circulating insulin, and the only way to do this is to reduce the amount of glucose by reducing carbs. We don't need carbs. Our livers produce sufficient glucose for the cells that need it (the brain and red blood cells mainly) Carbs = glucose = high levels of insulin = increased insulin resistance = higher levels of insulin.. High levels of circulating insulin cause as many health problems as high levels of glucose.
Thank you for that.

Kind regards

Martin

Kentoldlady1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
People do not tend to say when they do something different to LCHF because of getting a negative response or not very nice comments which has happened to some. Of course that should not happen and we should respect what ever people do without criticism

Hi, pinkorchid. I am fairly new to all this, dx about 14 weeks ago. I would love to be able to eat carbs. Ireally really miss chips. Dont mind giving up the sweet things, bread etc but miss potatoes.
I most certainly would not post anything negative about a different approach and would love to read some success stories that involved a higher carb approach.

I know that this site has been going for a while, so do you know where I could find some success stories, involving a substantial decrease in hbalc but a "normal" carb intake? Perhaps from a while ago? Many thanks.

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I recall one person who spent many hours a day at the gym but said he wished he had known about LowCarb as it would have been easier.

I also recall someone who kept to the NHS eat well plate but had a VERY high sugar intake before, so a low-fat diet was a lot fewer carbs then she was having before.

Otherwise every success story I recall with some combination of
  • Low Carb / Reduced Carb / Very Low Carb
  • Intermittent Fasting
  • Newcastle Diet
  • 8 Week Blood Suger Diet

Reactions: Kentoldlady1

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I'm only going to comment on the Hypoglycaemia part of your response. You definitely need carbs if you are having a hypo and this should be in soluble form and ifvyour next meal is more than an hour away it should be followed up with some slow acting carbs, bread fgor instance.

Just to explain something further just in case some others aren't too sure. All foods have a calorific value (calories) for example and I'm not giving any calorific values for the following items as without searching this out I do not know but the foods I've chosen will clearly explain it.

100 grams in weight of lettuce and 100 grams in weight of potatoes.
Only one of these will cause you to gain weight if eaten in excess and that will be the potatoes.

Regards

Martin

Hi again mate,
Glad we can all learn from each other beyond types.
I probably had more hypos in a week than you have in a month.
How you treat hypos is as individual as diverse as the number of endocrine conditions that you could possibly name. Treatment of hypoglycaemia is important and getting your blood glucose levels back up is so important to T1s and some T2s.
But with something as weird as I have and other hypoglycaemic conditions, the secret to not recurring episodes of Hypoglycaemia is not to hyper either before or after.
So the suggestion to use glucose, glucagon or high carbs is not the recommended treatment. A very low carb alternative, just to nudge your blood glucose levels back into normal range and a low carb small meal after fifteen minutes to maintain normal blood levels is the way to do it.
The trouble I had that every time i started going hypo, I would treat it as advised and I would rocket up into double figures which would create more excess insulin. I would hypo again, treat it, hyper then hypo. And what this would do to my blood levels, hyperinsulinaemia! Too much insulin, insulin resistance and also at times very high blood levels.
So after my hypo hell, I would never advise anyone unless it works for them to use high carbs or glucose as a treatment.

Best wishes.

By learning about others conditions, it can open the possibilities of trying something different, to the norm, which I have found out, is for us weirdos on here!

Reactions: Kentoldlady1

rockape37

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hi again mate,
How you treat hypos is as individual as diverse as the number of endocrine conditions that you could possibly name. Treatment of hypoglycaemia is important and getting your blood glucose levels back up is so important to T1s and some T2s.
But with something as weird as I have and other hypoglycaemic conditions, the secret to not recurring episodes of Hypoglycaemia is not to hyper either before or after.
So the suggestion to use glucose, glucagon or high carbs is not the recommended treatment. A very low carb alternative, just to nudge your blood glucose levels back into normal range and a low carb small meal after fifteen minutes to maintain normal blood levels is the way to do it.
The trouble I had that every time i started going hypo, I would treat it as advised and I would rocket up into double figures which would create more excess insulin. I would hypo again, treat it, hyper then hypo. And what this would do to my blood levels, hyperinsulinaemia! Too much insulin, insulin resistance and also at times very high blood levels.
So after my hypo hell, I would never advise anyone unless it works for them to use high carbs or glucose as a treatment.

Best wishes.

By learning about others conditions, it can open the possibilities of trying something different, to the norm, which I have found out, is for us weirdos on here!
I'm type 1 and been so for nearly 28yrs, now using a pump for just over a year.

Kind regards

Martin

Kentoldlady1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I recall one person who spent many hours a day at the gym but said he wished he had known about LowCarb as it would have been easier.

I also recall someone who kept to the NHS eat well plate but had a VERY high sugar intake before, so a low-fat diet was a lot fewer carbs then she was having before.

Otherwise every success story I recall with some combination of
  • Low Carb / Reduced Carb / Very Low Carb
  • Intermittent Fasting
  • Newcastle Diet
  • 8 Week Blood Suger Diet

So, not a lot involving chips? B****r! I really miss them. If there is one thing that would make me fall off the lchf wagon its chips.

I asked because I have seen some posts about other ways ( not lchf) of bringing down a hbalc on a permanent basis, but have not seen any posts about how exactly its done. When dx I was told that t2d was progressive and my gp a few days ago told me I would be on increasing medication for the rest of my life. Then she noticed my latest hba1c of 39 and said the metformin was working well!

The lchf seems to be the only way that really does halt t2d. I really wish it wasnt. I want to eat chips. I dont want to go blind or lose my feet but I still want to eat chips. If a way comes out tomorrow that does the same job but without the lchf I would be on it like a shot. And I have no doubt that one day there will be another way, and we will all be saying what fools we were to believe this rubbish. But at the moment it seems the best we have.

In answer to the original question in this thread, I have lost over 30 kgs since june. Lchf, not counting calories, just carbs. I have been overweight/obese most of my adult life. So, for me, yes, its calories from carbs that made me fat.
Did I mention that I miss chips?

Edited by moderator for offensive language

Last edited by a moderator:

Kentoldlady1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi again mate,

Best wishes.

That all sounds really complicated! How long did it take you to get to grips with it all?

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I'm type 1 and been so for nearly 28yrs, now using a pump for just over a year.

Kind regards

Martin

My condition is called 'Late Reactive Hypoglycaemia'
I was diagnosed four years ago.
I have been in ketosis for three of those years.
I was misdiagnosed T2 eight years ago and prediabetic sixteen years ago.
Last hypo, my last eOGTT in hospital. I've had five glucose tests
I have had many tests for intolerance and allergies to food.
I have intolerance to potatoes, wheat, grains, lactose, anything above three gms of carbs. Literally anything with ose at the end of the word!
I use intermittent fasting and only eat when I want and its not much.
I have lost five stone because, I don't eat carbs and fast!
High circulating insulin causes visceral fat. Causes hyperinsulinaemia.
I was in such bad health, especially my organs, now perfectly healthy!

Best wishes

woodywhippet61

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
So, not a lot involving chips? ******! I really miss them. If there is one thing that would make me fall off the lchf wagon its chips.

I asked because I have seen some posts about other ways ( not lchf) of bringing down a hbalc on a permanent basis, but have not seen any posts about how exactly its done. When dx I was told that t2d was progressive and my gp a few days ago told me I would be on increasing medication for the rest of my life. Then she noticed my latest hba1c of 39 and said the metformin was working well!

The lchf seems to be the only way that really does halt t2d. I really wish it wasnt. I want to eat chips. I dont want to go blind or lose my feet but I still want to eat chips. If a way comes out tomorrow that does the same job but without the lchf I would be on it like a shot. And I have no doubt that one day there will be another way, and we will all be saying what fools we were to believe this rubbish. But at the moment it seems the best we have.

In answer to the original question in this thread, I have lost over 30 kgs since june. Lchf, not counting calories, just carbs. I have been overweight/obese most of my adult life. So, for me, yes, its calories from carbs that made me fat.

I know that I can eat a chip or two or three or four without any bg problems now. BUT could you stop at only a few, when I ate a couple they didn't really do anything for me so stopping wasn't a problem. I had a small new potato soaked in butter a couple of weeks ago and it was heavenly. I cut it into small pieces and ate them Mindfully.

Reactions: Bluetit1802

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
So, not a lot involving chips? ******! I really miss them. If there is one thing that would make me fall off the lchf wagon its chips.

Have you tried celeriac chips?

Fleegle

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I was reading another thread recently and it was all about the insulin index. Most interesting if a bit complex.

I have made up my own hypothesis from reading this thread and that thread. It is complex I think. I am awaiting quick correction.
Carbs do not make you fat - insulin does.
Insulin is not only triggered by carbs. Mushrooms were my favourite example.
So eating a very small amount of carbs apparently with the wrong types of other foods could give you a weight gain. But eating that same amount of carbs without those naughty mushrooms might not see a weight gain.

Now was that the carbs or the mushrooms?

My experience from eating 75g of carbs a day and very little else if that I am losing weight. Is it the carbs that are making me lose weight?

Reactions: Dinet

rockape37

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
My condition is called 'Late Reactive Hypoglycaemia'
I was diagnosed four years ago.
I have been in ketosis for three of those years.
I was misdiagnosed T2 eight years ago and prediabetic sixteen years ago.
Last hypo, my last eOGTT in hospital. I've had five glucose tests
I have had many tests for intolerance and allergies to food.
I have intolerance to potatoes, wheat, grains, lactose, anything above three gms of carbs. Literally anything with ose at the end of the word!
I use intermittent fasting and only eat when I want and its not much.
I have lost five stone because, I don't eat carbs and fast!
High circulating insulin causes visceral fat. Causes hyperinsulinaemia.
I was in such bad health, especially my organs, now perfectly healthy!

Best wishes
Sounds like you have had and have still got alot to deal with.

Kind regards

Martin

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
That all sounds really complicated! How long did it take you to get to grips with it all?

Not really sure but it must be about fifteen years or such.

But the fight to get diagnosed started soon after getting misdiagnosed in 2009.
My long list of GPs didn't have a clue about what was happening and the advice I was given only exacerbated my health.
But a lot of it is only a blur.
Only remember certain things.
Glad I eventually got diagnosed, thankfully by my second specialist endocrinologist, first didn't have a clue either! My endocrinologist saved my life.
The worst was a four day stay in a diabetic ward, fasting!
The fasting was good, the rest not recommended! (Horror story!)
I have my life back, and my health!
All thanks to my endo and very low carb lifestyle.

Reactions: Guzzler

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Sounds like you have had and have still got alot to deal with.

Kind regards

Martin

Not really, before I was diagnosed, my diet was probably close to yours and none of them worked.
I realised early on that there was no cure or magic pill.
So, I just do what others have done, organised my life, knowing that if I didn't, it would really effect my family and my health.
As long as I'm in ketosis, my health is as my GP, endocrinologist and dsn has quoted as perfect for an old git like me.
Until I wake my pancreas up and create chaos with insulin..

How are you coping with your pump?
I couldn't imagine living with carrying around one of those contraptions!

Best wishes