Retinopathy

sarahpench

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
hey guys!
Can anyone tell me if there experience with retinopathy and having treatment please? Like laser treatment...does hurt ect? Can you see afterwords?

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Had retinopathy in 2003 and had laser treatment. It was not painful but took painkillers ad advised. Did not drive as the drops used give yiu blurry eyes afterwards - 4/6 hours. Good luck. My problem got triggered by hormonal pregnancy changes and did not work but my subsequent eye surgery did so very lucky! Good luck .

Reactions: sarahpench

sarahpench

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Had retinopathy in 2003 and had laser treatment. It was not painful but took painkillers ad advised. Did not drive as the drops used give yiu blurry eyes afterwards - 4/6 hours. Good luck. My problem got triggered by hormonal pregnancy changes and did not work but my subsequent eye surgery did so very lucky! Good luck .

Thank you!!
Feel better now I'm nervous!
I'm shocked that I have it as my control been very good and never had changes before! How was you're eye surgery? I've been told that if laser don't work they will go down that route. Did you have any vision loss? X

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
Hey @sarahpench
it is a bit of a blow getting that news !!:(
Have they discussed a treatment plan at all. ?

The laser didn't actually hurt me at all -- it was more the psychological fear that the doctor was going to wiggle the whole **** laser machine and blind me in a nanosecond or I was going to blink and lose my eyelid
fortunately it is not like that -- yes you do need to keep still( but they talk you through it all ) -- yes they put the stinging drops in prior -- yes the intense light they are shining into the back of your eyes is a bit uncomfortable.

you can't drive following the treatment for a good few hours afterward , and deffo take sunglasses even if it is cloudy and rainy.

please keep us updated on progress.
all the best !!

sarahpench

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey @sarahpench
it is a bit of a blow getting that news !!:(
Have they discussed a treatment plan at all. ?

The laser didn't actually hurt me at all -- it was more the psychological fear that the doctor was going to wiggle the whole **** laser machine and blind me in a nanosecond or I was going to blink and lose my eyelid
fortunately it is not like that -- yes you do need to keep still( but they talk you through it all ) -- yes they put the stinging drops in prior -- yes the intense light they are shining into the back of your eyes is a bit uncomfortable.

you can't drive following the treatment for a good few hours afterward , and deffo take sunglasses even if it is cloudy and rainy.

please keep us updated on progress.
all the best !![/QUOTE

Thank you
Yes treatment plan all sorted have my first one Monday!
Definitely physiological as like you said I keep thinking I'm going to go blind! And I didn't think that 7 years was that long to be diabetic and get that!
Luck of draw!
Have you had more than one lot of laser? X

Reactions: himtoo

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
hey sarah !!
try not to worry - the build up is the worst part.

Yes -- I have had laser in 2002 and again in 2012

I also had 3 injections in my left eye in 2013 ( for maculopathy )

I will be thinking of you on Monday
[[hugs]]
x

johnpol

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi Sarah,
Good luck I have had laser twice in the last four months. The build up is a lot worse than the actual procedure!! You will be fine

Reactions: himtoo