Test values

sorefinger

Dislikes
people who upset me
For people with diabetes, keeping blood sugar in the 70mg/dL – 150 mg/dL range is considered safe before a meal. Around two hours after a meal, people with diabetes should aim to have under 200 mg/dL in their blood.

can someone tell me if this is correct. as i was told that 2 hours after a meal no more than 9 and before a meal no more than 7.....thanks :mrgreen:

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
Hi sorefinger in the UK we go by the N.I.C.E. recommendations and for Type 2's they are:

Fasting - Pre meal 4mmol/L to 7mmol/L
2 hours postprandial no more than 7.5mmol/L

Note these figures are in mmol/L not mg/dl
The US and some other countries use mg/dl which are the 3 figure numbers you mention, to convert them to mmol/L divide by 18. To convert mmol/L to mg/dl multiply by 18

anniep

Hi Sid

'2 hours postprandial no more than 7.5mmol/L'

I thought that it was no more thatn 8.5 after a meal?

Annie

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Sid, I think you had a slight typo :wink:

Children with Type 1 diabetes (NICE 2004)
Before meals: 4-8mmols/L (72 - 144mg/dl
Two hours after meals: less than 10mmols/L (180mg/dl)
Adults with Type 1 diabetes (NICE 2004)
Before meals: 4- 7mmols/L (72-126mg/dl)
2 hours after meals: less than 9mmols/L (162mg/dl)
Type 2 diabetes (NICE 2008)
Before meals: 4-7mmol/L (72-126mg/dl)
Two hours after meals: less than 8.5mmols/L (153mg/dl)
Sorefinger, the targets you give are well above current guidelines in most countries.

sorefinger

Dislikes
people who upset me
so 2 hours after a meal no more than 9. so pardon me for being thick but ....novorapid takes 4 to 5 hours to work, bg levels are still going to drop for another 3 hours..you either have some more to eat or go hypo..am i right in thinking this :?:

SophiaW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
sorefinger said:
so 2 hours after a meal no more than 9. so pardon me for being thick but ....novorapid takes 4 to 5 hours to work, bg levels are still going to drop for another 3 hours..you either have some more to eat or go hypo..am i right in thinking this :?:

That happens regularly with my daughter but we have difficulty getting her to eat a lot of slow acting carbohydrates. I think the idea is that if you include plenty of slow release carbs in your meal then they should continue releasing carbs over the 4 to 5 hour period which balances out with the effect of the insulin for that duration. Because you're testing at 2 hours doesn't mean absorbtion of carbs from your previous meal has stopped at that point but I think that's the point at which the peak should have passed. Novorapid lasts for 4 to 5 hours, it starts to work within about 10 minutes of injecting.

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
No, it shouldn't , if you do go hypo it may be that you have eaten a very high glycemic meal (ie lots of fast sugars) and are trying to cover it with a large dose of insulin. The carbs are abosorbed quickly and then the insulin has nothing left to cover . Alternatively it could be that your basal insulin is too high and is reducing your levels rather than keeping them steady. Novo and the other rapids have a rapid peak. In Novo trials his was reached at 40 mins after injection in T1, though was slower in T2. The insulin gradually looses potency, though there is still some activity up to 5-6 hours later. All the figures are averages and in some insulin may peak earlier or later.Unfortunately peoples metabolisms don't go by the book!. Testing and adjusting needs to be done with care.
There is a rapid action insulin profile here:
http://www.runsweet.com/Type1.html