How would you feel if...

knackered

How would you feel if your sugar levels were fluctuating between 14 an 19 most of the time. I know we are all different but I would really like to know how others feel when at high levels.

Cheers

Steve.

slip

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I guess you'd feel 'knackered' Steve?!

Some context might help are you T1, T2 or some other type? been diagnosed long? etcetc.

Me? I'd feel 'thick' (in the body, the head's thick enough as it is) especially the legs, sluggish irritable and thirsty.

Reactions: knackered

Geordie_P

Type of diabetes
Type 2
When my sugars were about that range, I had a lot of external symptoms- restless legs at night, thirsty, blisters that wouldn't heal, neuropathy etc. Apart from that, I'd have low energy and dry throat and mouth problems.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
Thirsty, needed to pee a lot (day and night), depressed, thrush, tired ALL the time, blurry eyes, irritable, big outbreak of psoriasis, hair feeling dry and brittle and hair loss.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Ive been diagnosed 14yrs but recently tried low carb eating with some success. There is a low carb programme on this site. Well worth a look at.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi @knackered - i'm a type 1 and if I was running at those levels (which happens..) i'd have blurry eyes, so poor vision, i'd feel slow and irritable and very short tempered. As i'm on insulin it would be corrections doses to bring my blood glucose levels down as well as plenty of fluids to flush the glucose out of my system.

Are you on insulin ? Also any ideas why you are inconsistent with your control and what you could do to improve it ?

CherryAA

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I was running around those levels on diagnosis . I used to have to sit down after spending ten minutes at the sink washing dishes. I went to bed in the afternoons at every opportunity. I missed all tv programs after the first ten minutes. I coughed incessantly. I felt dizzy when I bent down. I coudldn't sleep, my skin was a bit pasty. I broke out into a sweat all the time. My right thumb kept locking up, my hands and feet tingled. Apart from that I was a magnificent specimen of womanhood ! ditch the carbs and its amazing how quickly they all started to get better

Reactions: slip
D

Deleted Account

At those levels I would feel tired and restless. I struggle to sleep when my bg is above 8.0. If I wake in the night I check my bg.
As I am t1 I correct as soon as possible with insulin so do not run that high for long.

knackered

Thanks guys, I have more or less all of those symptoms. In particular the mood/depression and irritability which makes confronting the rest of it so hard.
I have been trying to establish a link between yeast overgrowth symptoms and those of diabetes and I now feel they are pretty much the same disease with two different names. My own symptoms of feeling periodically exhausted then depressed for most of my adult life ( for over 45 years now) has driven me mad and made me feel like a hypochondriac at times. The problem being, all these symptoms are vague and not that serious in themselves but experienced as a whole set, all at once, have often convinced me there must be something seriously wrong with me. It really has blighted my life and I think over time has altered my personality, the big black cloud of "what is wrong with me" and feeling like a nuisance at the doctors, does wear you out in the end.

I also feel that a diagnosis of candida is not something most GP's have a great deal of enthusiasm for, almost as if it is treated as some sort of quackery nonsense. This is a shame as I now believe that the similarity of the symptoms means that candida symptoms that negatively affect us are not considered once a diagnosis of diabetes is made. Therefore, some of the digestive and gut problems associated with yeast overgrowth are not identified properly and just tick along doing more damage in the background.
The trouble is, when you try to find information about this online you find a massive amount of blurb that is only trying to get you to sign up to something or get money out of you. The most common advice seems to be to starve the yeast by avoiding all sugars and taking anti fungal supplements that the person who wrote the article can sell you!

I think there needs to be more research done on this as I am sure that in association with normal diabetes treatments there are other things that are caused by high sugar levels that make diabetics feel worse, but not sufficiently taken into account. Obviously a low carb diet will get your sugar levels down nicely for your diabetes but is that enough to get rid of the candida symptoms??
I really do wonder what we don't know yet about this aspect of high sugar levels, I bet we are only treating a part of the illness's that sugar levels cause.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
If it's any help - not sure what type of diabetes you have or what meds you're on - but my personal experience is that I found that radically reducing the number of carbs I ate brought my BG right down and slowly, over time, the symptoms got better and (mostly) faded away and I was able to reduce my meds and stop injecting insulin.

I'm Type 2, formerly insulin dependant.